Samples for Blogs

Have a Tea Blog or Tea Vlog? Post a topic here.

Apr 4th, '08, 21:44

Samples for Blogs

by trent » Apr 4th, '08, 21:44

I just started a tea blog, http://trentea.blogspot.com/, and am really enjoying developing my palate through writing tea reviews.

While browsing many of your blogs, I noticed that you guys review alot of samples sent to you by various members of the tea community.

I found a thread on teacher discussing free samples from vendors, but it seems like most bloggers have many more samples than were mentioned in that thread.

How did you get the samples?

Apr 4th, '08, 22:34

by Pentox » Apr 4th, '08, 22:34

In my experience there are a few different ways:

1. Company contacts you and requests you review their product.
2. You contact the company and request product to review.
3. Just buy some tea.
4. Free sample offers.
5. Trade with other people.

Almost all of my blogging is option #3. It helps to buy sampler packs and the like as it is small amounts of a number of different teas. As your readership grows you'll probably get a few contacts from #1. If you are more proactive you can try #2 and may have mixed results depending on the popularity of your blog. #5 is always a good option and helps fellow other bloggers. #4 has limited availability, but good results.

Apr 4th, '08, 23:47

by Space Samurai » Apr 4th, '08, 23:47

Most of my samples come from #s 1 and 5.

Make tea-friends, send samples, take part in online tastings. Trading is nice, but don't be afraid to just give.

While it is always flattering, tea companies that contact you are kind of hit and miss. I get offers for tea bags and/or flavored tea, but I've also found some real gems. I love to hear from small operations, mom and pop shops and such.

And I luck out cos I work in specialty foods, so through my job I'll get to sample a lot of stuff.

Free stuff was a big plus of blogging.

Apr 4th, '08, 23:50

by Space Samurai » Apr 4th, '08, 23:50

Welcome to the tea-blogging world, Trent. I'll be sure to add you to my blog roll. I see that you liked the Just4Tea TGY, too. That was one of the gems I referred to. June is a real sweetheart.

Apr 5th, '08, 01:10

by trent » Apr 5th, '08, 01:10

Space, thanks for the advice.

What are "online tastings" and how can I take part in them? They sound pretty interesting.

Apr 5th, '08, 01:20

by Space Samurai » Apr 5th, '08, 01:20

You just have to keep an eye out. Sometimes people organize them. T Ching does 'em every so often, you only havt to pay 3 dollars shipping to buy in, and they send generous samples.

You could always start one yourself, get the ball rolling. I've heard that if some fool gets the idea to send people tea, everyone likes to jump on board. Before you know it, you could have a monthly tasting on your hands, with different people hosting each month. Just a thought.

Apr 5th, '08, 01:24

by Pentox » Apr 5th, '08, 01:24

What's your tea of preference trent?

Apr 5th, '08, 01:56

by trent » Apr 5th, '08, 01:56

Space,
That sounds like something I might try to do, good idea.

Pentox,

That's a hard question.

I was introduced to quality tea by my Japanese neighbors, so fukamushi sencha was my favorite for a while.

Lately however, I've began trying some oolongs (ok... 2 oolongs, wuyi and tie guan yin) and pu-erh. My favorite so far has been the tie guan yin, but I'm excited to try some more oolongs.

+ Post Reply