Munday TeaDay 4/14/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you maintain some form of written inventory of your TEA?

Yes I do
27%
No I do not
73%

Total votes: 59

Apr 14th, '08, 04:32
Scrolling: scrolling

Munday TeaDay 4/14/08

by Chip » Apr 14th, '08, 04:32

Yesterday, responders indicated that 45% sent and/or received TeaSamples to other TeaChatters. Another 30% said they would like to although they had not yet. You may still vote and post in yesterday's topic.

Yikes, Monday...but it is TEADAY, so drink up. So, share with everyone what you are guzzling to get through your Monday. Stop by throughout the day and give us updates if you can. If you need to, you can also reflect back on your TeaDay. Make sure you check out what everyone else is guzzling today as well.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is I guess about TeaStructure. Do you inventory your teas...update it whenever you get something new...or use something up? Is that just too crazy for you to consider. Whether you inventory or not, it may be part of your structured personality. In any case, share here how you know what teas you have...in real time!!!

I hope your Monday is filled with copious amounts of TEA!!! Have a great TeaDay.
Last edited by Chip on Apr 14th, '08, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 14th, '08, 04:43

by Terrasi » Apr 14th, '08, 04:43

It would be unnecessary to inventory my tea, unless of course my collection was huge. At the point my collection can be defined as large enough to inventory, it would take an large amount of work to actually start to write it down. I do make sure everything is clearly labeled.

I could see the upside though, making sure you didn't run out of your favorite tea, especially if it wasn't available certain times of the year.

Alright, you've convinced me, I'm keeping a written inventory.

In my cup: Dragonwell. I'm not normally a green tea guy, but sometimes the craving hits.

Apr 14th, '08, 04:58

by olivierco » Apr 14th, '08, 04:58

Well, no inventory per se, but I keep a list of all the teas I have bought for the last two and a half years (when I started to fix a limit to my tea buying).
I also have a notebook in which I write down my brewing parameters and experiments and an other note book in which I write which tea I drink each day.

This morning some Kaburagien sencha.

Apr 14th, '08, 05:46

by Trioxin » Apr 14th, '08, 05:46

No real need to. I keep my matched tins clearly visible and labeled with all the info I need. As for the pu-er cakes, well, they usually get fondled on a daily basis.

Currently drinking 2008 Thurbo estate first flush first invoice Darjeeling again

Apr 14th, '08, 06:23

by augie » Apr 14th, '08, 06:23

Inventory? :lol: bahahahahaaa!!!

I only wish I had the free time to keep track of my small stash on an excel or access spreadsheet. I have so little (compared to some tea stashes I've seen on "show off your stash" thread) and 2.25 tea drinkers. My goal in the next few weeks is to find a basket to organize it all in my pantry.

We'll have to have a "show off your inventory system" thread for those who chose yes! With pictures and a tutorial video, please.

Apr 14th, '08, 07:49

by witches brew » Apr 14th, '08, 07:49

I don't really have enough to take inventory. I just write the purchase date on the label and that's it.

No tea in my cup yet. Had to run to make my train.

Apr 14th, '08, 08:17

by TimeforTea » Apr 14th, '08, 08:17

Yes, I do have an inventory table I created on word. I am tracking tea name, type, vendor, amount, month purchased, rating (1-5) and any notes. Currently it is sorted by tea type, but I do plan on sorting it by rating. In hindsight, I should have added columns for brewing parameters, as I am still learning. My tea inventory table can be summed up in 3 words: too-much-tea!

This morning, I am drinking white monkey. I love the look of the tea leaves, and wish I had brewed it in my ingenuiTEA so I could watch "the agony of the leaves". This is a simple tasting tea.

Apr 14th, '08, 08:45

by jogrebe » Apr 14th, '08, 08:45

I am starting to keep some type of loose inventory at the moment but it is far from being complete. Pretty much I'm trying to roughly track how much tea I actually drink to be able to figure out around how much that I actually spend on tea.

So far I started off the day with a cup of "Yunnan Golden Monkey" which I think should be called Yunnan Black tea or maybe a lower grade of Yunnan Gold.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Apr 14th, '08, 08:50

by omegapd » Apr 14th, '08, 08:50

I do something very similar to teasweetie but have mine sorted by vendor to keep track of what I get from different companies easier for me. I also recently got in a bunch of tea, from stuff I bought to samples from friends, etc. and had to write everything down just to keep track of what stuff I hadn't tried.

It's almost too much like work. :wink:

This morning New Mexico Tea Co. Keemun.

EW

Apr 14th, '08, 09:42

by Trey Winston » Apr 14th, '08, 09:42

A tea collection would probably have to be much larger than mine to need a database. And I'm not the kind of person to keep written records of anything at all. That can sometimes be a headache come tax time. Oh well.

Enjoying copious amounts of Adagio's smoky Silver Needle today.

Apr 14th, '08, 09:55

by CynTEAa » Apr 14th, '08, 09:55

Yunnan Gold this morning. Two infusions - yum!

There are so many teas in here, keeping a written inventory would be daunting. Wait - here it is:

A little bit of everything.

:D

Apr 14th, '08, 09:56

by Beidao » Apr 14th, '08, 09:56

Nope, no inventory. I know what I've got.

So far I've been drinking Darjeeling and Yunnan. Started the day in a schocking way - 4 cups of really strong black tea in one hour - and got to much caffeine. :shock:

Now I have to take a pause until I stop shivering. But I think the Darjeeling leaves has one steeping left in them and then there's white tea, Ti Kuan Yin and Sencha for the rest of the day.

Apr 14th, '08, 10:01

by Beanbean » Apr 14th, '08, 10:01

Nope. I do the old visual scan and order when I need to.

This morning I had a cup of cheapo Indian tea that I bought at the Asian market. It's in a pink bag. Doctored with a little sugar and milk, it is fine for the morning jolt.

Apr 14th, '08, 10:17

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 14th, '08, 10:17

I have a list of all the teas that I have tried, the vendor they are from, a 1 to 5 rating of the tea with 5 being the best, and a short note on basic taste, likes, and dislikes. It is color coded based on rating and sorted by vendor. I should add a mark of what I currently have in my stash, but I generally know what I have from digging through my two tea drawers daily. I also have another folder of actual tasting notes for each tea with steeping times, brewing parameters, and more on the taste of the tea than the full list. The separate tasting notes are a work in progress so I only have a few teas written up. The ones that are written up are new teas or ones that I am still trying to figure out good parameters for.

Today is more White Tip Oolong! I really should order more teas soon since I am down to one larger bag of unflavored tea plus a few samples, but I can't make up mind what to get or which vendor to buy from. I still have some flavored teas, herbals, and a bunch of rooiboses but those do not help me wake up in the morning.

Apr 14th, '08, 10:23

by Salsero » Apr 14th, '08, 10:23

Good Bye Blue Monday

...in the words of the sage of Indianapolis.

Aside from the fact that I can't see straight because I was up late with the bad boys last night (you know who you are), this poll was made for me. Wes is my witness that I carry record keeping to the point of pathology. Besides, you pretty much need a system when you lock pu away for years in a moist and moldy place.

The big news: Tomasini dropped by the IM last night!!!

Yunnan Simao in my cup ... I think ... can't quite see straight...