Jun 10th, '08, 10:47

Getting rid of bergamot smell in a tea tin?

by RussianSoul » Jun 10th, '08, 10:47

I have a nice tea tin that used to house Earl Grey tea. I lost my taste for Earl Grey and disposed of it. Now I want to use the tin for something else, but it reeks of bergamot. I soaked it, washed it, dried it, aired it. It smells less, but still does.

Is there any way to get rid of the smell faster than airing the tin for months and years? Or should I declare it a total loss and buy a new tin?

Jun 10th, '08, 12:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Jun 10th, '08, 12:00

been there, couldnt find anything...

washed it w soap, then i let it soak in soap water for 2-3 days, then washed it again
then let it air for 2 days then washed again
still smelled
i gave up,

so, now i have 1 tin designated for Earl Grey, and one for chamomile ...

Jun 10th, '08, 12:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 10th, '08, 12:01

I guess I'd try filling it with baking soda for a week or so.
See how that goes.

I doubt it would impart any flavor to the new tea.
Anyway. I wouldn't be too worried.

Jun 10th, '08, 12:27

by Mary R » Jun 10th, '08, 12:27

Earl Grey is usually made from tea treated with a certain amount of oil of bergamot, so the very first thing you want to do is attack the oil end. You mentioned using 'soap,' but the soap should really be a 'detergent,' which is more chemically keen on latching to greasy things.

If you use enough regular dish detergent and wash the piece thoroughly for about five minutes or so (making sure to scrub in every crevice and seam), the bergamot smell should be significantly decreased. If not, I'd probably repeat the process again, dry the piece, then go crazy with the baking soda.

Jun 10th, '08, 12:57

by RussianSoul » Jun 10th, '08, 12:57

Good ideas, thank you!

The soap was a dish detergent, btw. But now I filled the tin with a strong solution of it and let it stand for a while. Then I will wash and dry the tin, put some soda in it and let it sit for a time. Then wash again, dry and see.

I will report back.

+ Post Reply