using quote

Please introduce yourself here to our membership


Jul 3rd, '08, 12:00
Posts: 78
Joined: Mar 11th, '08
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

using quote

by rodstnmn » Jul 3rd, '08, 12:00

How do you answer somebody, so that you take part of a post, then it says

somebody wrote:

I was trying to reply to a post from Salsaro. I got the part of his post I wanted but it did not say,

Salsaro wrote:
This is in yesterday's daily cup.
Bottom line, I don't know computor's and I can't type fast.
My wife says I hunt and peck.
I guess this makes me a hunt and pecker.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Wink

Jul 3rd, '08, 12:02
Posts: 78
Joined: Mar 11th, '08
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 3rd, '08, 12:02

I don't know how to use emoticons either

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 12:15
Posts: 480
Joined: Jun 19th, '08
Location: Midwestern USA

by Riene » Jul 3rd, '08, 12:15

Rod, use the "quote" button at the top right of a post. It will copy what the other person says.

For emoticons, when you are writing your reply, just click on the smiley you like and it will appear in the post as code.

Welcome to Tea Chat!
:D

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 12:57
Posts: 2004
Joined: Apr 6th, '08
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Jul 3rd, '08, 12:57

It sounds like Rod was trying to trim some of the quoted portion, but ended up trimming the quote tags by mistake. This is where it's handy to know the markup.

This is what the quote markup looks like ... except that the text inside the square brackets [ ] should contain NO spaces (I had to add it so that you could see the markup text itself, rather than how it displays in the message):

[ quote = "username" ]The text you want to quote in your reply[ /quote ]

Remove the spaces inside the square brackets, and this is how it looks:

username wrote:The text you want to quote in your reply

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 15:18
Posts: 1611
Joined: Jun 8th, '07
Location: 3161 A.D.
Contact: Wesli

by Wesli » Jul 3rd, '08, 15:18

A note should also be made to new chatters that they should try not to quote pictures. Quoting pictures makes pages take longer to load and gets rather annoying as one has to scroll past them and find what the person is trying to say.

Another thing to try to avoid is "Tunnel Quoting."

Here's an example of tunnel quoting:

chamekke wrote:
Riene wrote:
rodstnmn wrote:
Wes wrote:
headache wrote:enough!!

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 15:57
Posts: 2350
Joined: Oct 23rd, '06
Location: Seattle Area
Contact: tenuki

by tenuki » Jul 3rd, '08, 15:57

Wesli wrote:A note should also be made to new chatters that they should try not to quote pictures. Quoting pictures makes pages take longer to load and gets rather annoying as one has to scroll past them and find what the person is trying to say.

Another thing to try to avoid is "Tunnel Quoting."

Here's an example of tunnel quoting:

chamekke wrote:
Riene wrote:
rodstnmn wrote:
Wes wrote:
headache wrote:enough!!


I agree, tunnel quoting is annoying!

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 15:57
Posts: 2350
Joined: Oct 23rd, '06
Location: Seattle Area
Contact: tenuki

by tenuki » Jul 3rd, '08, 15:57

tenuki wrote:
Wesli wrote:A note should also be made to new chatters that they should try not to quote pictures. Quoting pictures makes pages take longer to load and gets rather annoying as one has to scroll past them and find what the person is trying to say.

Another thing to try to avoid is "Tunnel Quoting."

Here's an example of tunnel quoting:

chamekke wrote:
Riene wrote:
rodstnmn wrote:
Wes wrote:
headache wrote:enough!!


I agree, tunnel quoting is annoying!


Stop that!

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 17:27
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22831
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jul 3rd, '08, 17:27

tenuki wrote:
tenuki wrote:
Wesli wrote:A note should also be made to new chatters that they should try not to quote pictures. Quoting pictures makes pages take longer to load and gets rather annoying as one has to scroll past them and find what the person is trying to say.

Another thing to try to avoid is "Tunnel Quoting."

Here's an example of tunnel quoting:

chamekke wrote:
Riene wrote:
rodstnmn wrote:
Wes wrote:
headache wrote:enough!!


I agree, tunnel quoting is annoying!


Stop that!


I agree...

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 17:27
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22831
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jul 3rd, '08, 17:27

Chip wrote:
tenuki wrote:
tenuki wrote:
Wesli wrote:A note should also be made to new chatters that they should try not to quote pictures. Quoting pictures makes pages take longer to load and gets rather annoying as one has to scroll past them and find what the person is trying to say.

Another thing to try to avoid is "Tunnel Quoting."

Here's an example of tunnel quoting:

chamekke wrote:
Riene wrote:
rodstnmn wrote:
Wes wrote:
headache wrote:enough!!


I agree, tunnel quoting is annoying!


Stop that!


I agree...


...tunnel quoting is annoying...

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 17:29
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22831
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jul 3rd, '08, 17:29

Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:
tenuki wrote:
tenuki wrote:
Wesli wrote:A note should also be made to new chatters that they should try not to quote pictures. Quoting pictures makes pages take longer to load and gets rather annoying as one has to scroll past them and find what the person is trying to say.

Another thing to try to avoid is "Tunnel Quoting."

Here's an example of tunnel quoting:

chamekke wrote:
Riene wrote:
rodstnmn wrote:
Wes wrote:
headache wrote:enough!!


I agree, tunnel quoting is annoying!


Stop that!


I agree...


...tunnel quoting is annoying...


doh...can't stop drilling... :lol:

User avatar
Jul 3rd, '08, 17:36
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22831
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jul 3rd, '08, 17:36

Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:
tenuki wrote:
tenuki wrote:
Wesli wrote:A note should also be made to new chatters that they should try not to quote pictures. Quoting pictures makes pages take longer to load and gets rather annoying as one has to scroll past them and find what the person is trying to say.

Another thing to try to avoid is "Tunnel Quoting."

Here's an example of tunnel quoting:

chamekke wrote:
Riene wrote:
rodstnmn wrote:
Wes wrote:
headache wrote:enough!!


I agree, tunnel quoting is annoying!


Stop that!


I agree...


...tunnel quoting is annoying...


doh...can't stop drilling... :lol:


Self quoting is even more annoying though...and rather vain...

Jul 3rd, '08, 19:37
Posts: 78
Joined: Mar 11th, '08
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 3rd, '08, 19:37

Riene wrote:Rod, use the "quote" button at the top right of a post. It will copy what the other person says.

For emoticons, when you are writing your reply, just click on the smiley you like and it will appear in the post as code.

Welcome to Tea Chat!
:D


I'll try this. Thanks Riene :D

Jul 3rd, '08, 19:43
Posts: 78
Joined: Mar 11th, '08
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 3rd, '08, 19:43

Riene wrote:Rod, use the "quote" button at the top right of a post. It will copy what the other person says.

For emoticons, when you are writing your reply, just click on the smiley you like and it will appear in the post as code.

Welcome to Tea Chat!
:D


I had emoticons disabled. Pointed out to me by my better half.
Maybe this will work. :oops:

Jul 3rd, '08, 19:51
Posts: 78
Joined: Mar 11th, '08
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 3rd, '08, 19:51

[quote="chamekke"]

This is what the quote markup looks like ... except that the text inside the square brackets [ ] should contain NO spaces (I had to add it so that you could see the markup text itself, rather than how it displays in the message):

Got you. Thank you chamekke

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:07
Posts: 78
Joined: Mar 11th, '08
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:07

chamekke wrote:It sounds like Rod was trying to trim some of the quoted portion, but ended up trimming the quote tags by mistake. This is where it's handy to know the markup.

This is what the quote markup looks like ... except that the text inside the square brackets [ ] should contain NO spaces (I had to add it so that you could see the markup text itself, rather than how it displays in the message):

[ quote = "username" ]The text you want to quote in your reply[ /quote ]

Remove the spaces inside the square brackets, and this is how it looks:

username wrote:The text you want to quote in your reply


Thanks chamekke, but still thinking about this.

+ Post Reply