Tuesday, TeaDay to you 8/05/08 Gongfu/gender bias?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Revisited. Do you gongfu and is there a gender bias in regards to this particular brewing practice?

I am female and I do gongfu
14%
I am a female and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a female and I do not gongfu
19%
I am a male and I do gongfu
30%
I am a male and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a male and I do not gongfu
12%
Other
4%

Total votes: 57

Aug 6th, '08, 11:07

by chamekke » Aug 6th, '08, 11:07

Riene wrote:It is interesting. I wonder if the women don't do so much gong fu because we're often so busy with other things?
Or there could be an economic component. My impression, and I could be wrong, is that it's a tidy little investment to put together a decent gong fu set. Having already blown more $ than I care to admit on Japanese tea ceremony wares, I feel reluctant to approach a second financial sinkhole.

Maybe we need to ask the women who do gong fu exactly what it was that persuaded them to go for it.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 6th, '08, 11:21

TeaDay Poll Request

by Angela Justice » Aug 6th, '08, 11:21

Hi Chip,

The results are very interesting. Perhaps for more insight it would be good to know how long men and women have been practicing gong fu ( since February :wink: , 1 -3 years, 3 - 7 years, 7 years or more). I'd love to see those results. :D

Thanks for another great thought provoking thread.

Aug 6th, '08, 11:34

by henley » Aug 6th, '08, 11:34

Riene wrote: It is interesting. I wonder if the women don't do so much gong fu because we're often so busy with other things?
This aspect was discussed back in Feb w/the first poll. Most of us girls don't have as much free time once marriage & kids come along. It might be interesting to break down the female poll even more to see if families make a difference. I know it does for me & Katrina mentioned it, too.
chamekke wrote:My impression, and I could be wrong, is that it's a tidy little investment to put together a decent gong fu set. Having already blown more $ than I care to admit on Japanese tea ceremony wares, I feel reluctant to approach a second financial sinkhole.
You've got a point here. I don't want to think about what I've spent over the years (& continue to spend) on my Victorian teaware. Plus there's the space issue. I'm already struggling much less adding a whole new genre!

Aug 6th, '08, 12:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 6th, '08, 12:58

I thought the results were interesting when we first did the poll on 2/18. The gender bias was very striking.

While there was an across the board increase in gong fu brewing in both genders, the gender bias is still quite distinct.

I kind of figured in the western world, guys liked to play with their tea toys, and gals liked to play with their tea toys. Of course there would be some cross over, and there is even more now on the gong fu side.

I do not want to oversimplify or over complicate it, but there seems to be a lot of newbies on the forum over the cooler/colder months who may be influenced by the forum over time. It will be interesting to see trends over time.

I will have to think of another poll. Usually the discussion clears up the W,W,W,W's of the polls. Thus I leave the polls/topics open an extra day, sometimes more if the discussion is still lively.

So, please discuss........
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 6th, '08, 13:39

by Riene » Aug 6th, '08, 13:39

Your comment on tea toys made me think this--how many men do western-style British-style tea? Dainty floral china, silver, cream/sugar/lemon/whatever, afternoon tea treats? I'd guess that you'd find a far higher percentage of women with that poll, than men.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 6th, '08, 14:00

by chamekke » Aug 6th, '08, 14:00

Riene wrote:Your comment on tea toys made me think this--how many men do western-style British-style tea? Dainty floral china, silver, cream/sugar/lemon/whatever, afternoon tea treats? I'd guess that you'd find a far higher percentage of women with that poll, than men.
It'd be worth the inquiry, I think. I'd also like to hear people elaborate on why they like this style of tea. Could be very interesting.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 6th, '08, 14:16

by Chip » Aug 6th, '08, 14:16

Ok...sounds like a plan. I will do a poll tomorrow on the teaware subject.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 6th, '08, 14:17

by Salsero » Aug 6th, '08, 14:17

Riene wrote:Your comment on tea toys made me think this--how many men do western-style British-style tea? Dainty floral china, silver, cream/sugar/lemon/whatever, afternoon tea treats? I'd guess that you'd find a far higher percentage of women with that poll, than men.
Good gravy, I hope so! :shock: