I almost died today

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 2:33 pm
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th 08 3:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

I almost died today

by shogun89 » Aug 13th 08 2:33 pm

OK, so I got a flashlight to have a look inside my puidor for my monthly mold check, and what do you know, Little blue specks all over the inside. I brushed some onto a sheet of paper got a magnifier glass and a flashlight and went detective. After about 30 minutes of starring at it wondering why it was a kinda foamy texture, not typical of mold. Finally I remembered I used a blue sponge to wipe the insides of it when I was seasoning it. When moisture contacts wood, the fibers expand creating splinters, the splinters pulled of little blue flecks that I thought was mold. What a relief. It just show that you can never be too safe. I will perform a mold check about once a week now, and I encourage others to do the same, If not caught early the results can be devastating.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 2:52 pm
Posts: 5190
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 13th 08 2:52 pm

Well, that would have caught MY attention too.

Image


Never thought of a mold check. One more item on the "To Do" list.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 3:27 pm
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th 08 4:03 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

by Dizzwave » Aug 13th 08 3:27 pm

phew! what a relief...
I think I'm going to stick with the "air/dry it out once a month" plan, and like you said, a mold check here and there.
Sal, when you got the white frost on your cakes, what was the humidity like there?

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 3:44 pm
Posts: 5190
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 13th 08 3:44 pm

Dizzwave wrote: Sal, when you got the white frost on your cakes, what was the humidity like there?
I am not sure, but I think it was over 70%. I don't remember the hygrometer readings back then and I'm not so sure the hygrometer was accurate anyway (I just threw one out and got some more that I calibrated with salt), but I remember the paper bags and wrappers feeling quite heavy with humidity, so it is possible I was pushing 75% RH or above.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 3:56 pm
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th 08 3:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Aug 13th 08 3:56 pm

Salsero wrote:
Dizzwave wrote: Sal, when you got the white frost on your cakes, what was the humidity like there?
I am not sure, but I think it was over 70%. I don't remember the hygrometer readings back then and I'm not so sure the hygrometer was accurate anyway (I just threw one out and got some more that I calibrated with salt), but I remember the paper bags and wrappers feeling quite heavy with humidity, so it is possible I was pushing 75% RH or above.

Personally I think that a little white frost may be a good sign of aging and maybe helps it aged. If I saw white frost on my cakes I would just find a way to slightly lower the humidity. Its the green, red and yellow fuzzys that freak me out.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 4:21 pm
Posts: 5190
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 13th 08 4:21 pm

shogun89 wrote: If I saw white frost on my cakes I would just find a way to slightly lower the humidity. Its the green, red and yellow fuzzys that freak me out.
I think you are right about all the colors!

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 4:36 pm
Posts: 509
Joined: Jun 1st 08 3:57 pm
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

by heavydoom » Aug 13th 08 4:36 pm

one day you guys may shoot yourself in the foot by experimenting with these home grown pumidors. just saying.....

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 4:47 pm
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd 08 9:07 pm
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Aug 13th 08 4:47 pm

heavydoom wrote:one day you guys may shoot yourself in the foot by experimenting with these home grown pumidors. just saying.....
Very true, but what would you suggest as an alternative?

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 4:57 pm
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th 08 4:03 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

by Dizzwave » Aug 13th 08 4:57 pm

yeah, what Tony said!
at least it's somewhat controlled this way. If you lived somewhere where the RH got above 80, you would know, and could DEhumidify it if you wanted to (gasp, unimaginable right now!).
Anyway, I don't want my cakes to have not aged at all in 5-10 years. And if we're careful, we can avoid the funky colors. 8)

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 6:11 pm
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th 08 3:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Aug 13th 08 6:11 pm

As the other said, For us that live in 55% humidity we have NO choice but this, yes its risky but I think that as long as we open the door daily and stay on top of thing everything should be fine. I am going to keep mine at 70 and below the whole time.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 8:20 pm
Posts: 509
Joined: Jun 1st 08 3:57 pm
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

by heavydoom » Aug 13th 08 8:20 pm

tony shlongini wrote:
heavydoom wrote:one day you guys may shoot yourself in the foot by experimenting with these home grown pumidors. just saying.....
Very true, but what would you suggest as an alternative?
the alternative is to buy aged green tea for consumption. screw aging it yourself. that would be my suggestion.

i mean, come on, how much tea can you drink in a week? i think at the rate i am going, my pu cakes will last a long time. if you use a wee amount with long infusion times, you can maybe have like 6 sessions of tea with the yi xing pot. man, that cake may last three months. by that time, you can buy another aged cake. if you put aside a dollar each day, you can have 30 bucks a month, 90 in three months, enough for those fancy smancy pu cakes over there at HOU DE.....

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 8:42 pm
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th 08 4:03 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

by Dizzwave » Aug 13th 08 8:42 pm

heavydoom wrote:... by that time, you can buy another aged cake. if you put aside a dollar each day, you can have 30 bucks a month, 90 in three months, enough for those fancy smancy pu cakes over there at HOU DE.....
Yeah, but.. that's no fun! :lol:
You don't get to experience the aging process.. trying it every few months to see how it's changed.. showering with it.. putting it near the litter box..

Besides, then you're drinking the same kind of tea every day for 3 months.
Each to his or her own, though....
-dave

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 9:21 pm
Posts: 5190
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 13th 08 9:21 pm

heavydoom wrote: ... those fancy smancy pu cakes over there at HOU DE...
Dizzwave wrote: ... showering with it.. putting it near the litter box..
Excuse me. I was looking for the tea forum and seem to have stumbled into this comedy club by accident.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 11:19 pm
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th 08 3:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Aug 13th 08 11:19 pm

Dizzwave wrote:
heavydoom wrote:... by that time, you can buy another aged cake. if you put aside a dollar each day, you can have 30 bucks a month, 90 in three months, enough for those fancy smancy pu cakes over there at HOU DE.....
Yeah, but.. that's no fun! :lol:
You don't get to experience the aging process.. trying it every few months to see how it's changed.. showering with it.. putting it near the litter box..

Besides, then you're drinking the same kind of tea every day for 3 months.
Each to his or her own, though....
-dave

Well said Dave, You hit the nail dead on the head. Not to mention you arnt finding a really nice aged sheng for $90.

User avatar
Aug 13th 08 11:27 pm
Posts: 481
Joined: Feb 11th 08 4:28 am

by RussianSoul » Aug 13th 08 11:27 pm

shogun, your avatar gives a double-take every time I see it.

Like "WAIT! I didn't write this!", and then - "Oh..."