Proper preparation of Adagio Masala Chai?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.


User avatar
Jul 7th, '08, 23:51
Posts: 53
Joined: Jun 16th, '08, 21:02
Location: Texas

by elchai » Jul 7th, '08, 23:51

Well, I had my first delicious cup of Masala Chai tonight. I just boiled the water, and I used less tea then I normally do. I put in a splash of milk and about 1/2 tsp of sugar into my big 2 cup mug. I was in a hurry, but it was still good.

I'll go back through this thread and try something new next time.

User avatar
Jul 8th, '08, 00:07
Posts: 1628
Joined: Jun 17th, '08, 14:11
Location: Oregon

by geeber1 » Jul 8th, '08, 00:07

Elchai ... it's good stuff, isn't it? I think it must be the cinnamon and cloves that seem so comforting to me. I have to find a way to use less sugar, though, it's not doing my waistline any good! :)

User avatar
Jul 8th, '08, 00:26
Posts: 53
Joined: Jun 16th, '08, 21:02
Location: Texas

by elchai » Jul 8th, '08, 00:26

geeber1 wrote:Elchai ... it's good stuff, isn't it? I think it must be the cinnamon and cloves that seem so comforting to me. I have to find a way to use less sugar, though, it's not doing my waistline any good! :)
Yes it is! As a matter of fact, those flavors are what started this tea thing for me!

You know, I have tried other brands without sugar and it was fine, for me anyway. Normally I don't use sugar at all for sweetening, I use honey, and it was good. Not sure if honey is better for the waistline or not! :)

Sep 9th, '08, 00:27

How my Indian friend does it...

by Deleted User #24782 » Sep 9th, '08, 00:27

My Indian friend boils water on stove (half as much for the amount of tea you'd usually use), then brings down to a simmer, then adds tea and spices, stirs, then adds same amount of milk as water, continues to simmer and stir for a few more minutes. I think like my chai with 2% milk and lots of sugar (if you've made it good and spicy). Best chai I've ever had is at Khyber Pass in NYC. Second best is at the Steeping Room in Austin, I think they call it Kashmiri chai? That I ordered in a pot and then just added milk at the table, cheaper than their "chai latte," although it wasn't as hot that way.

+ Post Reply