Re-steeping tea leaves

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Jun 8th, '05, 13:35
Mod/Admin

Re-steeping tea leaves

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 13:35

Does anyone have any information on "re-steeping" tea leaves? I hear that this is more or less a matter of "experimentation" and that there are no "rules of thumb" per se, but often I'd like to infuse the leaves a second time through the little IngenuiTEA pot. I'm never sure if I should steep them longer the second time, the same amount of time, or if I should throw in just a sprinkle of fresh leaves for the second infusion. Mostly because of cost (and caffeine - I know a second infusion lowers it), I just don't want to waste the wonderful leaves.

I learned that some teas work very well with re-infusion, and that some taste terrible. Does anyone have any advice (either through trial & error or simply good practice) about re-steeping tea leaves?

Thanks!

Lori M

Jun 8th, '05, 13:35
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 13:35

Hi :D

I'm no expert, by any means, but I've had some success with resteeping leaves. I find the flavored blacks work well twice, brewed each time for the recommended 5 minutes. The flavor in the second batch is a bit lighter, but still good. I've had wonderful success with brewing rooibos teas twice as well. Those come out great brewed the normal 7min. I also like white tea brewed twice as well. I haven't had the courage to try for a third time though. Oolong tea leaves I use three times, even though I've heard you can sometimes use them more. I like the Oolong symphony #8. I don't know if you can brew herbals more than once, I generally don't. I also use the green tea leaves at least twice. Just follow the standard brewing directions that come with the tea when you try a second or third time. It should come out good.

One last thing, don't wait too long between usages of the leaves. If you leave used leaves in the pot for hours bacteria might develop.

Best wishes,
Stephenie

+ Post Reply