Doomsday Puerh Storage Vault.

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Sep 12th, '08, 00:24
Posts: 188
Joined: May 31st, '08, 11:52

Doomsday Puerh Storage Vault.

by Ti » Sep 12th, '08, 00:24

With virtually any Doomsday scenario, the puerh-loving people of the world would most likely face a severe shortage of puerh tea through devastation or a major disruption in distribution. Without it, many lovers of puerh tea would find even mere existence unbearable.

Therefore, I think it would be prudent to find an optimum place on our planet to store puerh, for safe keeping and posterity, just in case the unthinkable happens. But where to store the best tea the world has to offer and which ones would they be?

There are numerous seedbanks/doomsday vaults around the globe, but which ones would be the most likely to insure that the best recipes of puerh survived?

You can rule out the latest Doomsday Vault up in Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Norway as the temperature of that vault would be much to cold. Doomsday/seedvaults in places like the mid-east would probably not be suitable either due to low humidity or currently, in imperialistic vogue, mlitary invasion.

So what seed vault would best serve the needs of puerh storage so that in the event of nuclear holocaust, or worse, at least those who survive won’t have to rebuild the world without it?

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 01:03
Posts: 1636
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 16:13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 12th, '08, 01:03

My place?

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 01:33
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Doomsday Puerh Storage Vault.

by Salsero » Sep 12th, '08, 01:33

Ti wrote: places like the mid-east would probably not be suitable either due to low humidity or currently, in imperialistic vogue, mlitary invasion.
:lol: Not to mention potential contamination from depleted uranium weaponry.

I agree with Scruff's house.

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 02:33
Posts: 1578
Joined: Jun 8th, '07, 13:00
Location: 3161 A.D.
Contact: Wesli

by Wesli » Sep 12th, '08, 02:33

MAH BELLY!

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 10:54
Posts: 1945
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

by hop_goblin » Sep 12th, '08, 10:54

Get into my belly!

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 11:00
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Sep 12th, '08, 11:00

I think we should call Dr Strangelove in for a consult.

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 14:13
Posts: 509
Joined: Jun 1st, '08, 11:57
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

by heavydoom » Sep 12th, '08, 14:13

the best storage place would have to be deep underground up in the arctic. anything under there is doomsday proof.

Sep 12th, '08, 14:26
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mar 19th, '06, 12:42
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch
Contact: Proinsias

by Proinsias » Sep 12th, '08, 14:26

ah, but would be earth-crust displacement proof?

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 15:11
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Sep 12th, '08, 15:11

I am not going to lie, This is an interesting post, what have us pu heads come to! :D

Sep 12th, '08, 16:41
Posts: 188
Joined: May 31st, '08, 11:52

Re: Doomsday Puerh Storage Vault.

by Ti » Sep 12th, '08, 16:41

Salsero wrote:
Ti wrote: places like the mid-east would probably not be suitable either due to low humidity or currently, in imperialistic vogue, mlitary invasion.
:lol: Not to mention potential contamination from depleted uranium weaponry.
Right Sal. The last thing I want to worry about when I emerge from my fortified underground bunker into a world devastated by nuclear weapons is radiation contamination while gong fuing some puerh. There will be enough problems to deal with without wasting energy on that kind of BS.

Sep 12th, '08, 17:15
Posts: 188
Joined: May 31st, '08, 11:52

by Ti » Sep 12th, '08, 17:15

shogun89 wrote:I am not going to lie, This is an interesting post, what have us pu heads come to! :D
Storing pu for some 10,000 years might result in some interesting possibilities, especially for those who embrace the aging aspect of puerh. There are many 'doomsday' seed vaults in existence.

Accepting the reality of the need for disaster seed storage as you will, I just wonder if the seed vaults already in existence contain seeds of a significant number of tea trees puerh comes from? Are there tea tree seeds in in the Longyearbyen vault...or anywhere else for that matter?

User avatar
Sep 12th, '08, 18:14
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Sep 12th, '08, 18:14

Ti wrote:
shogun89 wrote:I am not going to lie, This is an interesting post, what have us pu heads come to! :D
Accepting the reality of the need for disaster seed storage as you will,
I do believe in always preparing for the future, disaster and stuff. Got that from my dad, Right now we have a room in the basement with like 50 gallons of water enough food for a month and a stock of ammunition for hunting, cooking supplies, lights, batteries, radios, fire sources. . . . . I need to get some tea down there now.

Sep 12th, '08, 20:05
Posts: 188
Joined: May 31st, '08, 11:52

by Ti » Sep 12th, '08, 20:05

shogun89 wrote:
Ti wrote:
shogun89 wrote:I am not going to lie, This is an interesting post, what have us pu heads come to! :D
Accepting the reality of the need for disaster seed storage as you will,
I do believe in always preparing for the future, disaster and stuff. Got that from my dad, Right now we have a room in the basement with like 50 gallons of water enough food for a month and a stock of ammunition for hunting, cooking supplies, lights, batteries, radios, fire sources. . . . . I need to get some tea down there now.
Good idea Shogun. Going into 'survival mode' is likely to to be extremely stressful. Stocking the bunker with tea so you will be able to enjoy a simple luxury in the midst of utter chaos is a wise idea.

User avatar
Sep 13th, '08, 09:06
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Sep 13th, '08, 09:06

shogun89 wrote:we have a room in the basement with like 50 gallons of water
Better add another fifty gallons for brewing tea.

Sep 13th, '08, 12:52
Posts: 59
Joined: Aug 20th, '08, 00:04

by teakid » Sep 13th, '08, 12:52

Is this another ZEN debate?

+ Post Reply