infusion frequency

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Oct 3rd, '08, 08:32
Posts: 183
Joined: May 31st, '08, 11:52

infusion frequency

by Ti » Oct 3rd, '08, 08:32

How much does it affect tea leaves to sit idle in the pot for varying periods of time between infusions? Should you hurry up and brew-drink-brew-drink gong fu style, or is the result the same if you brew-go do something else while you drink -and then return later to brew again, or doesn't it matter?

User avatar
Oct 3rd, '08, 10:06
Posts: 150
Joined: Aug 11th, '08, 07:11
Location: Iceland

by tsverrir » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:06

Most of the time my leaves sit in the pot for shorter or longer periods. Sometimes I even keep my leaves in the pot overnight if they have some juice left. When returning to leaves who have been sitting idle for awhile I do a shorter steep than with leaves freshly steeped. Sometimes I do a quick rinse before steeping overnight leaves.

I do find that letting the leaves sit idle for long periods has a small effect on the taste, but not enough to throw them away if you don't have time to drink them dry right away.

User avatar
Oct 7th, '08, 12:55
Posts: 40
Joined: Aug 7th, '08, 14:46
Location: Ithaca, N.Y.
Contact: VinceBLG

by VinceBLG » Oct 7th, '08, 12:55

I had the same experience, both with shou and sheng, but I wouldn't let the leaves sit longer than overnight.
Regards,

Vincent

www.BeanLeafGrape.com

User avatar
Oct 7th, '08, 13:17
Vendor Member
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sep 24th, '08, 18:38
Location: Boston, MA

by gingkoseto » Oct 7th, '08, 13:17

For oolong, I am kind of in the busy mode of brew-drink-brew-drink. I don't like using "tea sea" (the pitcher) so sometimes I feel I am too busy drinking. I also have a layered glass pot (somewhat similar to ingenuiTea pot) that doesn't let leaves stay in tea water. I use it in office. But at home I still prefer to use my yixing pot. Therefore I am trying to get a smaller pot, so it won't make brew-drink pattern too busy :D

As for pu'erh, especially shu, I assume it's ok to leave the tea leaves in pot for long. I know very little about pu'erh so it's just my assumption. I read it from the chinese classic "dream of red building" that the beautiful girl servant once told her young master that a cup of pu'erh was steeping for a whole day and waiting for him. So I assume it's ok to brew shu pu'erh for a long time :D

User avatar
Oct 7th, '08, 13:43
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd, '06, 19:46
Location: Seattle Area
Contact: tenuki

by tenuki » Oct 7th, '08, 13:43

btw Ti, your 'Young Hitler' avatar is a bit disturbing.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

User avatar
Oct 7th, '08, 16:49
Posts: 150
Joined: Aug 11th, '08, 07:11
Location: Iceland

by tsverrir » Oct 7th, '08, 16:49

tenuki wrote:btw Ti, your 'Young Hitler' avatar is a bit disturbing.
I don't see any resemblance to Hitler???

Oct 7th, '08, 16:49

by Deleted User #17777 » Oct 7th, '08, 16:49

tenuki wrote:btw Ti, your 'Young Hitler' avatar is a bit disturbing.
Herbert Kornfeld writes about workplace issues for The Onion. He works as the Accounts Receivable Supervisor at Midstate Office Supply, the state's oldest wholesaler and retailer of office supplies and business machines

http://www.theonion.com/content/columni ... w/kornfeld

+ Post Reply