Korean Green ID?? anyone...

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 24th, '08, 20:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Korean Green ID?? anyone...

by Salsero » Sep 24th, '08, 20:46

Someone brought back some tea from Korea for me, but I have no idea what I have. Of course, it will be green (I haven’t opened it yet) and I suppose it will be sencha-like. Does anyone have any additional insight into what I have or how to handle it?

There are two teas. One comes in a pouch and doesn’t have any English except “Net 100g”.
(All these photos can be clicked to access larger resolution files.)

The other is a mylar sealed pack inside a round canister inside a box. It looks suspiciously touristy to me. In English it says Gwangyang Greentea and gives a web address of http://dosun.go2vil.org (which hasn’t worked for me so far) and says Dosun Kuksa Village.
Front of box:
Back of box:
Canister inside box:

I am hesitant to open either one until I am ready to brew since I imagine they have the shelf life of Japanese greens, so I don't know what the dry leaves look like. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sep 24th, '08, 21:02

by Chip » Sep 24th, '08, 21:02

I don't care if it is burnt bancha in the bag ... I want the canister. :!: The box is cool too.

Korean tea is sometimes steamed, often pan fired, and even sometimes both! The fired stuff I had was very reminiscent of Japanese Guricha, actually so was the combo version.

They were pretty good.

Then one other tasted so much like Chinese gunpowder that I could not drink beyond the first attempt.

I hope you enjoy it.

Sep 24th, '08, 22:10

by Salsero » Sep 24th, '08, 22:10

Chip wrote: ... I want the canister.
You may not actually. I forgot to mention that the canister is sort of low quality cardboard, not very nice at all.

Sep 25th, '08, 06:11

by Victoria » Sep 25th, '08, 06:11

Re: The second tea - You may know Gwangyang is a city. I believe that is the Green Tea called Jakseol Tea (green tea) grown in Mt. Baekun. It may be the related as the Korean Shincha being picked by hand before the 20th of April.

You can read more about it here along with some brewing instructions:

http://new.gwangyang.go.kr/include/eng/ ... age_num=20

You can also find this tea at Hankook Tea:
http://hankooktea.com/product_tea.php?x ... =green_tea

And on further looking at Hankook's site, I would say the first Tea - in the Bag is actually bagged Shincha Jakseol Tea.

Sep 25th, '08, 07:44

by chrl42 » Sep 25th, '08, 07:44

Sal, first pouch is from Japan, Gokyuro 玉露 - looks like common pouch one can get from local grocery market in Japan.

The other 2 is 도선선차 - Do Sun Sun Cha. 도선 is a name of a product and 선차 means Zen Tea. Website http://dosun.go2vil.org tells me Donsun Guksa village is involved with Zen Buddhim since 9th century or around that period.

As for tea, I am not sure about quality-wise. As it is not famously known as Bosung or Hadong that dominate the market.

As for Korean green, it follows pan-frying tradition got from China. Historical reference seems unknown but it's clear monks from Shila period (over thousand yrs ago) got tea drinking tradition from Tang dynasty and tea drinking was pretty popular until Chosun founded, where their confucianism kicked Buddhism tradition including drinking tea.

Korean greens are not bad, but quite expensive due to number of tea trees plus many of Korean makers claim to perpetuate 'hand-making / wild bushes' whether it's a skill of marketing or pride of tradition..

Sep 25th, '08, 09:50

by Victoria » Sep 25th, '08, 09:50

Wow!! Sorry, I really missed the mark it seems.
:oops: The bag looks almost exactly like the one on the Hankook
site and since they are Korean and the package was Korean, I assumed!

Thanks chrl42 for the clarification!
:oops:

Sep 25th, '08, 10:36

by Salsero » Sep 25th, '08, 10:36

chrl42 wrote: Sal, first pouch is from Japan, Gokyuro 玉露 - looks like common pouch one can get from local grocery market in Japan.

The other 2 is 도선선차 - Do Sun Sun Cha. 도선 is a name of a product and 선차 means Zen Tea. Website http://dosun.go2vil.org tells me Donsun Guksa village is involved with Zen Buddhim since 9th century or around that period.
Thanks, Charl42, I thought that bag looked awfully Japanese and even commented on it to the guy that brought it. Like me, he doesn't read Korean at all although he does know a little Japanese so I am disappointed he didn't catch it.

He was under the impression that the other tea was the commercial product of a monastery which is consistent with what you say. Are you able to access that website at http://dosun.go2vil.org ? It never opens for me.

Sep 25th, '08, 10:39

by Chip » Sep 25th, '08, 10:39

That is really weird, imports of tea into Korea are taxed over 500% of face value. Unless their laws have changed or it was smuggled into Korea. How can they afford to import Japanese teas and still sell them.

Sep 25th, '08, 17:29

by bambooforest » Sep 25th, '08, 17:29

The canister looks like something Hankook tea Co would produce.

They have a store in L.A. I have bought tea from them, before. Korean green tea can be really really good. But, they don't produce much - so it's pricey.

Yeah, that first bag screams of Japanese. I think the bag is beautiful.

Sep 29th, '08, 22:04

by Salsero » Sep 29th, '08, 22:04

Thanks all for the help, especially Charl42 who nailed the gyokuro. Also, many thanks to Tim and Marshaln for corroborating and extending the info above.

Especially big thanks to Matt of Mattcha's Blog the Korean Tea blogger who has taken the Tea-nternet by storm. His comments have general enough application to quote them extensively:
  • What Chrl42 said was quite accurate and right.

One can still can give you some insight into the quality of this tea. Most higher quality Korean teas have two things on the box that this box doesn't have. One is a date when the tea was produced, this date is detrimental in determining the quality. And the second is information on the grade of green tea, which consequently depends on when it was produced. This box has neither but still refers to the tea as 100% green tea leaf. Which, in ones experience, means that it is probably the lowest grade (picked sometime in the summer).

Checking out the web site that Churl42 posted, one found this years green tea offerings from the same community. Check out this link... http://dosun.go2vil.org/go2vil/shopping ... ls=0000045 . It says on this page that the leaves are of Jungjak quality (picked between May 20-30 or even a bit latter). 100g for about 25 USD. That should give you a pretty good indication of the quality.

Check out this post ( http://mattchasblog.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... hy-we.html ) and the one that follows it for more information on grading of Korean green tea.

My best advice is to enjoy it either way.
And in an additional note:
  • Korea is a very fair and honest country. If [your friend] paid 100 USD for your tea then it is probably of higher quality. It might just be that the premium tea was produced in such small quantities that it didn't get the labelling it deserved. Often producers just use a generic box for special teas that are produced in small batches because to design and manufacture a new box with all the exact details can really be expensive if there is just a bit of tea to fill the boxes. At the very least, it seems that this is a traditional, hand made tea, something you would never be able to find in any tea shop in the West.

Guess the only way to be sure is to try it our or at least look at the dry leaves.
I guess the next step is to open the bag and taste the tea. I always feel like I am pulling the pin on a hand grenade when I open a bag of green tea. Fortunately, I am out of sencha, so I have some time to devote to this stuff. I think I'll try it on the weekend when I can give it full attention.

Oct 7th, '08, 20:39

by Salsero » Oct 7th, '08, 20:39

OK, I opened the Gwangyang tea, the one in the fancy box and cardboard cylinder, and brewed it a couple times. I used 2.50 grams in a 100 ml gaiwan at 150° F and infused: 1 m, 1 m, 2 m, 3 m, 3 m, 4.5 m, 6 m, + a couple long untimed rounds.

The dry leaves surprised me. For some reason I was expecting something more like a Japanese green, but these leaves look like a Chinese green, specifically Meng Ding Gan Lu or Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun: small gray-green twists of leaf with virtually no tips.

(Either image may be clicked for a larger file)

The liquor started out very, very pale yellow slightly tinged with green. By the third infusion it reversed to a very pale green with yellow tinge. The aroma was pleasant, reminding me of citrus flowers, with a baked goods smell: sugar cookies I'd say. The taste was as light as any tea I have had. It reminded me of some slightly flavored Dan Congs I have had. A bit astringent, increasingly so if I pushed it. Off and on I noticed a tiny viscosity and a nice aftertaste. The tern "refreshing" kept coming to mind. It seemed like it freshened my breath. Maybe that is the cooling or mint sensation some reviewers talk about. I was pleased to find that even the 5th infusion carried a fine aftertaste!

The spent leaves do not evidence care or love. They are mostly broken pieces of dark green medium small leaves. There are a lot of stems, one tip + 2, and a few whole or nearly whole leaves. Some pieces are rather different in color.

Overall, I am glad I had the chance to try this tea, but I would not purchase it again even if it were available to me. The flavor is just too light. The experience here is mostly olfactory. I have never brewed a green that lasted so many infusions, in that respect it was more like a yellow tea than a green.

+ Post Reply