chiran yutakamidori

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 29th, '08, 21:50

chiran yutakamidori

by UncleIroh » Oct 29th, '08, 21:50

okay, just returned from lupicia with this in hand. i did a quick search for the name here, and saw that several of you had positive things to say, but i didn't uncover any particular brewing tips. so, if you've tried this tea, how did you handle it, and what were your results? i'd appreciate the benefit of your wisdom and experience, tea people!
~sean

Oct 29th, '08, 22:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 29th, '08, 22:16

Leaf ratio, .8 grams per ounce of water. 160-165* in preheated pot. Start pouring at a minute or more. You MUST smell the leaf in the preheated pot before you pour the water over the leaf, but sit down first, it is that good.

I get 5 steeps. 2nd 175* for 30 sec, 3rd 180* for 1 minute, 4th 190ish* for 2 min, 5th boiling water for 5 or more minute.

May the GREEN be with you, UncleIroh.

Oct 30th, '08, 12:12

by Pentox » Oct 30th, '08, 12:12

I tend to use 1g/oz. I start the water temp around there if i'm not being lazy. I normally go for 3 steeps, so i ramp up the temp a bit faster.

But good choice with the lupicia!

Oct 30th, '08, 13:21

by UncleIroh » Oct 30th, '08, 13:21

thank you guys for the info... i've been having an unusually hard time getting a good cup out of this leaf. my first attempt was like drinking a cup full of crushed aspirin, it was so bitter. but i think both my water temp and steep time were a little excessive, so i can probably correct that. i'm guessing this is also a fukamushi style tea? the tiny leaf particles clogged my sasame golf ball solid! literally could not even pour the steeped tea out. but chip, you're right, i did notice that the dry leaf in the warmed pot smells AMAZING. :D i'll let y'all know when i've managed to translate that into an equally amazing cup of tea.
~sean

Oct 30th, '08, 13:40

by Chip » Oct 30th, '08, 13:40

You will have to pour slower with that screen. Soooo, start pouring sooner as well!!!! You should be done pouring at around a minute or so. If you slow pour, it is less likely to clog up the screen.

I would say this is chumushi to fukamushi. The Chiran Supreme from O-Cha, also YM leaf, is more fukamushi that Lupicia's.

I have a kyusu for fukamushi that pours either without any clogging concerns, but I know that can be frustrating. If it is clogging, it throws your whole steep time off. Thus bitter brew.

Are you weighing?

Oct 30th, '08, 13:51

by Pentox » Oct 30th, '08, 13:51

Chip wrote: I would say this is chumushi to fukamushi. The Chiran Supreme from O-Cha, also YM leaf, is more fukamushi that Lupicia's.
Agreed. It's definitely not a full fuka nor would I go so far as to say it's full chu.

Personally for teas like this it's one of the reasons i'm glad i don't have a golf ball type strainer. I enjoy the 360 mesh screens for this very reason.

Oct 30th, '08, 14:28

by Chip » Oct 30th, '08, 14:28

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote: I would say this is chumushi to fukamushi. The Chiran Supreme from O-Cha, also YM leaf, is more fukamushi that Lupicia's.
Agreed. It's definitely not a full fuka nor would I go so far as to say it's full chu.

Personally for teas like this it's one of the reasons i'm glad i don't have a golf ball type strainer. I enjoy the 360 mesh screens for this very reason.
Heh, yeah, mine is an express pour, around 5 seconds except for a few drops.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 30th, '08, 14:35

by Salsero » Oct 30th, '08, 14:35

Pentox wrote: Agreed. It's definitely not a full fuka nor would I go so far as to say it's full chu.

Personally for teas like this it's one of the reasons i'm glad i don't have a golf ball type strainer.
Does some sencha tend to clog more even if it is NOT fukamushi? Is it somehow processed into smaller pieces without the deep steaming? Or do some varietals tend more to clog?

Oct 30th, '08, 14:47

by Pentox » Oct 30th, '08, 14:47

Salsero wrote:Does some sencha tend to clog more even if it is NOT fukamushi? Is it somehow processed into smaller pieces without the deep steaming? Or do some varietals tend more to clog?
yeah, every sencha has a slightly different degree of form/powder to their leaf and the finer the particles the more it clogs.

Oct 30th, '08, 14:54

by UncleIroh » Oct 30th, '08, 14:54

okay, now we're getting somewhere! i think my problem was mostly the pot i was using, a new one that i've been experimenting with. it did a nice job with a larger-leafed uji sencha that i tried the other day, but it just didn't see eye-to-eye with the chiran. an older kyusu with an infuser basket did the trick. the cup i'm drinking now is rich and creamy with just a hint of ocean salinity and a nice lingering astringency. feels very clean on the teeth and tongue. still produces a pretty murky brew, which used to bother me, but i've gotten over it since i began flirting with matcha. i am weighing-- we just acquired a digital scale, which is proving helpful. my guesstimates have apparently been pretty wild. just shy of a gram per oz. of water worked nicely, though, and now i can see what you guys were talking about. this is a tea i could definitely get used to. molto bene! and thank you for the tips. :D

Oct 30th, '08, 17:37

by Chip » Oct 30th, '08, 17:37

Cool beans ... er ... leaves. I think you may be experiencing umami.

There are higher grades of YM out there as well. The YM from O-Cha is my all time fave tea, period.

Oct 30th, '08, 18:36

by Pentox » Oct 30th, '08, 18:36

Chip wrote: There are higher grades of YM out there as well. The YM from O-Cha is my all time fave tea, period.
I say that's a matter of opinion. I prefer the Lupicia CYM over the O-cha CYM. The o-cha I feel has more of a fukamushi flavor predominant over the flavor of the yutakamidori itself. Whereas the Lupicia you notice more of the YM flavor itself.

But I believe Chip enjoys the fuka flavor paired with the YM flavor, thereby making it his fav.

Oct 30th, '08, 20:47

by Chip » Oct 30th, '08, 20:47

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote: There are higher grades of YM out there as well. The YM from O-Cha is my all time fave tea, period.
I say that's a matter of opinion. I prefer the Lupicia CYM over the O-cha CYM. The o-cha I feel has more of a fukamushi flavor predominant over the flavor of the yutakamidori itself. Whereas the Lupicia you notice more of the YM flavor itself.

But I believe Chip enjoys the fuka flavor paired with the YM flavor, thereby making it his fav.
O-Cha has 2 grades of YM, the Chiran Supreme, and the YM "classic" which is a higher grade I believe than either Chiran offering. IMHO. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Nov 3rd, '08, 14:39

by Shelob » Nov 3rd, '08, 14:39

Chip wrote:Leaf ratio, .8 grams per ounce of water. 160-165* in preheated pot. Start pouring at a minute or more. You MUST smell the leaf in the preheated pot before you pour the water over the leaf, but sit down first, it is that good.

I get 5 steeps. 2nd 175* for 30 sec, 3rd 180* for 1 minute, 4th 190ish* for 2 min, 5th boiling water for 5 or more minute.
Purrfect instructions, rite down 2 the 5th steep! 8)

+ Post Reply