White Pu-erh???

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 27th, '06, 20:51

White Pu-erh???

by WhiteTeaWizard » Feb 27th, '06, 20:51

There is black pu-erh tea, and there is green pu-erh tea.
But is the white pu-erh tea? As of yet, I have not found any. Perhaps because of the processing it is not possible to create pu-erh with white tea. Or maybe it just tastes bad!

If anyone finds a pu-erh made with white tea, please let me know. For some reason I cannot get it out of my mind.
Tea:
Nature...for your mouuwth!"

Feb 27th, '06, 21:03

by Warden Andy » Feb 27th, '06, 21:03

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/pu-erhtea.htm

According to the third sentence on that site, there is a white pu-erh. I also skimmed through the pu-erhs listed on that site, and saw Silver Needle pu-erh.

Feb 28th, '06, 08:42

by WhiteTeaWizard » Feb 28th, '06, 08:42

Thanks! I've ordered from them before but missed those details.

As for the Silver Needle Beencha, I'm thinking it is a green pu-erh since on other sites it's listed as such.

It's good to know that there's white pu-erh out there. But to find it...
Tea:

Feb 28th, '06, 15:06

by yresim » Feb 28th, '06, 15:06

WhiteTeaWizard wrote:As for the Silver Needle Beencha, I'm thinking it is a green pu-erh since on other sites it's listed as such.
You could always ask them. If none of their pu-erhs are white, they might even be able to direct you to someplace that has white ones.

If you do that, you should, of course, tell us. :lol:

I am hesitant to ask, myself, since I know that if they say "yeah, it's white", I might be tempted to spend that $80 I don't have.

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Feb 28th, '06, 18:49

by illium » Feb 28th, '06, 18:49

I carry a nice White Pu Er.

I'd be glad to send you (or anyone else who is interested) details about the tea and a sample, if you'd like.

Thanks,
Troy (aka Da Tong)
Troy Howard aka Da Tong (大筒), Fine Chinese Tea Sales
Happy Panda Tea Co. 快乐熊猫茶司 (KuaiLe XiongMao ChaSi)
Portland, Oregon
illium37@yahoo.com (email me for more info!)

Feb 28th, '06, 19:52

by WhiteTeaWizard » Feb 28th, '06, 19:52

Illium: Yes, any white tea pu-erh is welcome. If it's aged, that's even better.

Yresim: As for holymntn, I will contact them and post the results here.

By the way, does anyone know how pu-erh originated? My guess is that it was discovered by accident.
Tea:

Mar 1st, '06, 22:14

by Warden Andy » Mar 1st, '06, 22:14

I was trying to learn a bit more about Pu-erh, and came across this: http://www.pu-erhtea.com/GreenTea.htm. Look at the bottom of the page. I jsut don't know how you order from them.

Mar 2nd, '06, 22:17

by illium » Mar 2nd, '06, 22:17

I looked at the site, but I think you're misunderstanding them. The name of the company is "Pu Er Tea" and the offerings on the page "Pu Erh Green Tea" doesnt refer to green, or white Pu Er tea, but rather typical Green or White teas from the company calling it'self "Pu Erh". The page "Pu Er Special Tea" contains actual Pu Er teas.

The closest you'll find to the White Pu Er you're asking about would be the Green Pu Erh cake listed on the "special tea" page there. That however, is not really a White tea, and they are VERY ambiguous about what teas they have, not mentioning which locality, company, or factory, or even brand name, or tea series within those brand names they have.

So it's really hard to say what it is they are selling.

Anyhow, the white tea on the bottom of the linked page might be a nice White Tea for drinking, but it's not a White Pu Er.

Thanks,
Troy (aka Da Tong)
Troy Howard aka Da Tong (大筒), Fine Chinese Tea Sales
Happy Panda Tea Co. 快乐熊猫茶司 (KuaiLe XiongMao ChaSi)
Portland, Oregon
illium37@yahoo.com (email me for more info!)

Jun 15th, '06, 14:09

by bearsbearsbears » Jun 15th, '06, 14:09

WhiteTeaWizard wrote:Thanks! I've ordered from them before but missed those details.

As for the Silver Needle Beencha, I'm thinking it is a green pu-erh since on other sites it's listed as such.

It's good to know that there's white pu-erh out there. But to find it...
I think the confusion here is a conflation of white tea varietals and white tea processing. White tea varietals (camellia sinensis var. ptilophylla, narcissus, etc.) are usually just used for white tea processes, but other teas are processed as "white" teas even though they're not these particular extra-hairy varietals. Like green tea silver needle on pu-erhtea, darjeeling white, ceylon white, etc., which use hairy buds but not white tea varietals (i think? india has great tea institutes that probably bred an assamica white tea varietal).

Pu'er isn't made from a white tea varietal and is not processed like white tea, so a "white" pu'er seems unlikely. I've got some silver bud tuocha, and it tastes nothing like other silver bud teas because of the very different processing. it's smokier and bitter.

blah blah blah

someone educate me if anything i'm saying is incorrect, but this is what i've come to understand.

+ Post Reply