How many session per bing?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


User avatar
Nov 11th, '08, 21:17
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

How many session per bing?

by tony shlongini » Nov 11th, '08, 21:17

I read where David (Hobbes) mentioned that a cake is good for 30 sessions. Initially, I thought he was nuts, but I seem to be using more and more leaf as time goes on. I used to think that I would get 50-70 sessions from a standard 357g bing, but upon further reflection, I believe the number is closer to 35. I tend to discard the "shake" (let's see how old you are) and concentrate on using chunks. Pu'er seems to require more product per session than other teas.

I've been getting 10-12 sessions per 100g tuo, and a bit mor than two dozen from a 250 tuo or brick, so, for me at least, I have to figure on 10g per session, factoring in waste, when deciding on how much to buy.

How long can you stretch a bing?

User avatar
Nov 11th, '08, 21:22
Posts: 688
Joined: Jul 7th, '08, 19:06
Location: ostensible universe

by puerhking » Nov 11th, '08, 21:22

I have no idea because I move from cake to cake too much.

I collect the "shake" from all my pu's and put it in one bag to brew at a later date....just for fun.

Nov 11th, '08, 21:29

by Deleted User #17777 » Nov 11th, '08, 21:29

do you weigh the tea or "guestimate" ?

How big a teapot ?

I like to use 5 gram per teapot, but do not fill my pot to overflowing (like I should).

10 second for first infusion, post 5 sec rinse, is enough to give a solid brew. I used to use a pouring pictcher and tiny cups, but now use just a bigger cup and the whole pot in the cup. A whole cup/pot is about 100- 125 ml.

I do not use more shou than sheng, as shou does not really expand, but sheng does. To get a teapot 3/4 full of shou, I would need to use 15-20 grams.

Try selling the shake at local high school. Afterall, you are paying premium prices for the leaf and could recoup your losses there.

It may depend of what session means - to me it means a pot of tea. It might mean however many pots of tea it takes to become satiated.

User avatar
Nov 11th, '08, 21:38
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Nov 11th, '08, 21:38

A session is a pot, which can be endless.

User avatar
Nov 11th, '08, 21:53
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd, '06, 19:46
Location: Seattle Area
Contact: tenuki

by tenuki » Nov 11th, '08, 21:53

Totally depends on the beeng and volume of vessel you brew in. Some pu I use 3g/100ml, others I use 7 or 8.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

User avatar
Nov 11th, '08, 22:27
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Nov 11th, '08, 22:27

A session is a pot, which can be endless.

Nov 12th, '08, 01:16

by Deleted User #17777 » Nov 12th, '08, 01:16

Ah, it is a koan

Q: How long does a bing last ?
A: Forever, as first pot is endless....

User avatar
Nov 12th, '08, 16:21
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Nov 12th, '08, 16:21

I use about 5 grams per pot. So a 357g cake will give me about 75 pots.

+ Post Reply