Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 11:13
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Nov 26th, '08, 11:13

Drinking European style (3 gr, 7 oz, 3 min) a 2005 De Hong "Golden Melon" sheng made by the Luxi Wantong Tea Factory and purveyed by YSLLC. This melon, shaped like an enormous 500 gr tuo, is not especially good, but was cheap. It sort of reminds me of flat ginger ale.

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 12:03
Posts: 703
Joined: Jul 7th, '08, 19:06
Location: ostensible universe

by puerhking » Nov 26th, '08, 12:03

Salsero wrote:Drinking European style (3 gr, 7 oz, 3 min) a 2005 De Hong "Golden Melon" sheng made by the Luxi Wantong Tea Factory and purveyed by YSLLC. This melon, shaped like an enormous 500 gr tuo, is not especially good, but was cheap. It sort of reminds me of flat ginger ale.
Another testament to the undesirability of border tea!

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 13:53
Posts: 2056
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 20:47
Location: Los Angeles, CA

by wyardley » Nov 26th, '08, 13:53

puerhking wrote: Another testament to the undesirability of border tea!
I don't think that's border tea, is it?

Border tea generally refers to tea grown *outside* Yunnan, like in neighboring areas in Vietnam, not to tea grown in Yunnan near border areas.

Also, I imagine plenty of us have had border tea without knowing it.

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 14:58
Posts: 155
Joined: Nov 4th, '08, 20:35
Location: NYC
Contact: Goose

by Goose » Nov 26th, '08, 14:58

Image

2000 Fu Hai 7536 Green Mark

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 16:16
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Nov 26th, '08, 16:16

Please add this to the PS review section Sal.


2007 Xiaguan Tibetan Flame

Astringency- some
Smoke- light
Dryness- little, on tip of tongue
Mouthfeel- Light
Hui gan- some
Flavor- pretty good
Overall value- good/great
Purchase again- yes

While this tea is certainly not fantastic it does the job of giving you a tasty hot beverage. The brick itself is absolutely ugly. The wet leaves are ugly. The liquor is a very dark caramel color which is strange for 2007. The bottom line is, it is a very good tea for the price. I find nothing about it offensive. It can be drunk now but would benefit greatly with aging. I have 2 bricks and will probably get another 1-2. I defiantly recommend this because it is so cheap. $5 for 250 grams is nearly nothing. So on your next order throw a few bricks in, I dont think you will be disappointed.

Thanks Jim!

-Shogun :D

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 16:47
Posts: 703
Joined: Jul 7th, '08, 19:06
Location: ostensible universe

by puerhking » Nov 26th, '08, 16:47

wyardley wrote:
puerhking wrote: Another testament to the undesirability of border tea!
I don't think that's border tea, is it?

Border tea generally refers to tea grown *outside* Yunnan, like in neighboring areas in Vietnam, not to tea grown in Yunnan near border areas.

Also, I imagine plenty of us have had border tea without knowing it.
It is my understanding, which may prove false, that most melon tea is border tea. And given that De Hong is a border county it would be easily procured. But like I said... I could be wrong.

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 16:56
Posts: 1945
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

by hop_goblin » Nov 26th, '08, 16:56

puerhking wrote:
wyardley wrote:
puerhking wrote: Another testament to the undesirability of border tea!
I don't think that's border tea, is it?

Border tea generally refers to tea grown *outside* Yunnan, like in neighboring areas in Vietnam, not to tea grown in Yunnan near border areas.

Also, I imagine plenty of us have had border tea without knowing it.
It is my understanding, which may prove false, that most melon tea is border tea. And given that De Hong is a border county it would be easily procured. But like I said... I could be wrong.
You might find it interesting to what Gordon of DTH states about Melon shape puerhs. Interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/6e488j

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 17:36
Posts: 703
Joined: Jul 7th, '08, 19:06
Location: ostensible universe

by puerhking » Nov 26th, '08, 17:36

hop_goblin wrote:
puerhking wrote:
wyardley wrote:
puerhking wrote: Another testament to the undesirability of border tea!
I don't think that's border tea, is it?

Border tea generally refers to tea grown *outside* Yunnan, like in neighboring areas in Vietnam, not to tea grown in Yunnan near border areas.

Also, I imagine plenty of us have had border tea without knowing it.
It is my understanding, which may prove false, that most melon tea is border tea. And given that De Hong is a border county it would be easily procured. But like I said... I could be wrong.
You might find it interesting to what Gordon of DTH states about Melon shape puerhs. Interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/6e488j
Two things about that one........Bai Cha Tang.......and look at those leaves. That is one beautiful melon! Night and day compared to http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Dehong-Golden- ... m153.l1262

I want the whole 3K melon!

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 17:48
Posts: 434
Joined: Mar 31st, '08, 21:46
Contact: thanks

by thanks » Nov 26th, '08, 17:48

Goose wrote:Image

2000 Fu Hai 7536 Green Mark
How do you like it? Looks awfully light for a 2000. 7532 is my favorite recipe so I was very interested in this.

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 17:52
Posts: 434
Joined: Mar 31st, '08, 21:46
Contact: thanks

by thanks » Nov 26th, '08, 17:52

Today in my cup I am leisurely enjoying an 05 7562 which appears to have been part of a zhuan. It's smooth, more savory than sweet with an okay mouthfeel. The tea appears to be a medium fermentation, and I'd imagine in another few years this could be something special, but right now it's okay. Then again I'm not very experienced with shu, so take this with a grain of salt.

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 18:01
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 11:03
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact: Dizzwave

2008 Hai Lang Hao "Star of Bu Lang"

by Dizzwave » Nov 26th, '08, 18:01

Today I'm drinking a 2008 Hai Lang Hao "Star of Bu Lang", sheng pu made from 3-year-old maocha.
It's quite full-flavored and tasty, brews fairly dark for a young tea, without much bitterness at all. At $24/357g, I'm on the fence. I still have 20g left in my sample baggie, so I should have a better idea whether or not to buy a cake or two by the time I've depleted that.
I gong-fu'd it up for me and a coworker, in our post-clam-chowder food coma, and it perked both of us up enough to get back to work (read: TeaChat for me, work for him!). lol.
ok, now back to real work. anyone else tried this tea?
-dave

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 18:17
Posts: 434
Joined: Mar 31st, '08, 21:46
Contact: thanks

Re: 2008 Hai Lang Hao "Star of Bu Lang"

by thanks » Nov 26th, '08, 18:17

Dizzwave wrote:Today I'm drinking a 2008 Hai Lang Hao "Star of Bu Lang", sheng pu made from 3-year-old maocha.
It's quite full-flavored and tasty, brews fairly dark for a young tea, without much bitterness at all. At $24/357g, I'm on the fence. I still have 20g left in my sample baggie, so I should have a better idea whether or not to buy a cake or two by the time I've depleted that.
I gong-fu'd it up for me and a coworker, in our post-clam-chowder food coma, and it perked both of us up enough to get back to work (read: TeaChat for me, work for him!). lol.
ok, now back to real work. anyone else tried this tea?
-dave
I own a cake and love it. Plan on getting more.

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 20:10
Posts: 155
Joined: Nov 4th, '08, 20:35
Location: NYC
Contact: Goose

by Goose » Nov 26th, '08, 20:10

thanks wrote:
Goose wrote:2000 Fu Hai 7536 Green Mark
How do you like it? Looks awfully light for a 2000. 7532 is my favorite recipe so I was very interested in this.

The infusion was light. I was using a brand new pot and I am sure I could have used some more leaf - This tea is one of the better of the few that I have tried to date, it has an almost Bourbon like smokiness in the back round and a subtle but long lasting sweetness overlaying it. I have ordered a beng of it. Hope this is helpful.

Jim

User avatar
Nov 26th, '08, 21:43
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Nov 26th, '08, 21:43

puerhking wrote: I want the whole 3K melon!
Me too! I got the wrrrrrrroooong melon.
thanks wrote:
Dizzwave wrote:[/color] Today I'm drinking a 2008 Hai Lang Hao "Star of Bu Lang" anyone else tried this tea?
I own a cake and love it. Plan on getting more.
I have a cake and have had one session with it ... I liked it a lot, but the Hai Lang Hao Lao Ban Zhang & Man'E sample that I got is closer to pure deep chronic ... and at about the same price point as chronic!

User avatar
Nov 27th, '08, 11:22
Posts: 703
Joined: Jul 7th, '08, 19:06
Location: ostensible universe

by puerhking » Nov 27th, '08, 11:22

Salsero wrote:
puerhking wrote: I want the whole 3K melon!
Me too! I got the wrrrrrrroooong melon.
If I had that melon I would put it on my mantle and worship it like a god. I would beg forgiveness that I ever thought it was border tea. Each day I would ask to partake in its beneficence......5-7 grams per day. Forever basking in its soul soothing glory. :P

+ Post Reply