Yak Butter Tea

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Nov 27th, '08, 18:17
Posts: 259
Joined: Feb 17th, '08, 00:54
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact: devites

Yak Butter Tea

by devites » Nov 27th, '08, 18:17

I was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes for how to make something similar. Butter Tea seems like a great drink for winter. Perhaps a good use of my average shu puerhs.

User avatar
Nov 27th, '08, 20:08
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Nov 27th, '08, 20:08

Anyone up for a group buy on a yak?

User avatar
Nov 27th, '08, 20:11
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

Re: Yak Butter Tea

by chamekke » Nov 27th, '08, 20:11

devites wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes for how to make something similar. Butter Tea seems like a great drink for winter. Perhaps a good use of my average shu puerhs.
I'd try this recipe. It's been a while since I had butter tea, but this looks pretty faithful:

Po Cha (Tibetan Butter Tea)

There are some "foodie" recipes on the same site if you're feeling adventurous. Momo-s (dumplings)... yummy!

P.S. Cow milk is perfectly good in butter tea.
P.P.S. This is usually where someone says there is no such thing as yak milk (because the yak is the male).

User avatar
Nov 27th, '08, 20:37
Posts: 1945
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

Re: Yak Butter Tea

by hop_goblin » Nov 27th, '08, 20:37

chamekke wrote:
devites wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes for how to make something similar. Butter Tea seems like a great drink for winter. Perhaps a good use of my average shu puerhs.
I'd try this recipe. It's been a while since I had butter tea, but this looks pretty faithful:

Po Cha (Tibetan Butter Tea)

There are some "foodie" recipes on the same site if you're feeling adventurous. Momo-s (dumplings)... yummy!

P.S. Cow milk is perfectly good in butter tea.
P.P.S. This is usually where someone says there is no such thing as yak milk (because the yak is the male).
hahah :lol:

Nov 27th, '08, 23:06
Posts: 259
Joined: Feb 17th, '08, 00:54
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact: devites

by devites » Nov 27th, '08, 23:06

I made some using a decent chunk of puerh (four quarters stacked) 1.5 cups of water, .5 cup of half and half, teaspoon of butter, pinch of salt.

Boiled water, added tea, let sit for 3 minutes, add milk, additional 10 minutes, then shake with butter and salt for 2 minutes and drink.

The taste is rich and catches you off guard. I'm going to try it again with ghee and different types of tea and will keep updating until I get it right. This is something I could see myself enjoying while camping or hiking as it feels warm and wonderful in your stomache, is very filling, and gives you energy.
Last edited by devites on Nov 29th, '08, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nov 27th, '08, 23:13
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Nov 27th, '08, 23:13

devites wrote:I made some using a decent chunk of puerh (four quarters stacked) 1.5 cups of water, .5 cup of half and half, teaspoon of butter, pinch of salt.

Boiled water, added tea, let sit for 3 minutes, add milk, additional 10 minutes, then shake with butter and salt for 2 minutes and drink.

The taste is rich and catches you off guard. I'm going to try it again with ghee (goats butter) and different types of tea and will keep updating until I get it right. This is something I could see myself enjoying while camping or hiking as it feels warm and wonderful in your stomache, is very filling, and gives you energy.
Hit PS and get some of the Tibetan Flame bricks.

User avatar
Nov 28th, '08, 01:40
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Nov 28th, '08, 01:40

Tibetan butter tea is very enjoyable. Maybe you don't want to drink it if you're on a diet ... but if you're cold and hungry, or just in need of some warming sustenance, this stuff really hits the spot!

Dec 1st, '08, 20:00
Posts: 259
Joined: Feb 17th, '08, 00:54
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact: devites

by devites » Dec 1st, '08, 20:00

Just an update:
I used Ghee, or clarified butter, and the result was more appetizing than before, and I also used more puerh (about 6 quarters stacked) so that the tea was more pronounced. I think I'm going to start making this in bulk and refrigerating to drink in the cold winter months.

User avatar
Dec 1st, '08, 20:08
Posts: 749
Joined: Dec 30th, '07, 00:10
Location: Earth

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 1st, '08, 20:08

devites wrote:Just an update:
I used Ghee, or clarified butter, and the result was more appetizing than before, and I also used more puerh (about 6 quarters stacked) so that the tea was more pronounced. I think I'm going to start making this in bulk and refrigerating to drink in the cold winter months.
Wouldnt the butter solidify and seperate putting the tea in the fridge?

Dec 1st, '08, 20:17
Posts: 259
Joined: Feb 17th, '08, 00:54
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact: devites

by devites » Dec 1st, '08, 20:17

Nothing a little reheating and stirring can;t fix. :D

User avatar
Dec 1st, '08, 20:43
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Dec 1st, '08, 20:43

Interesting, I gotta bust out my Tibetan bricks and get some butter.

User avatar
Dec 3rd, '08, 01:38
Posts: 408
Joined: Jul 18th, '07, 00:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by fencerdenoctum » Dec 3rd, '08, 01:38

The recipe I have is pretty much the same, but I'm sans a pu brick. Might have to try some of Adagio's Dante just for kicks. I'll remember to write a will first though.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

User avatar
Dec 3rd, '08, 01:45
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Dec 3rd, '08, 01:45

This whole thread needs to be moved to the Insanity forum. Butter, yaks, flaming Tibetan bricks.


Any Rancid Yak Butter Tea Party fans here?

User avatar
Dec 11th, '08, 20:34
Posts: 56
Joined: Dec 22nd, '06, 13:55
Contact: expatCanuck

by expatCanuck » Dec 11th, '08, 20:34

Here's an entertaining link on yak butter tea:
http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/05-07 ... tibet.html

User avatar
Dec 11th, '08, 23:14
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Dec 11th, '08, 23:14

Great link. Thanks.

+ Post Reply