Dec 8th, '08, 13:48

Food Saver

by phantom9309 » Dec 8th, '08, 13:48

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who uses a food saver to store large bulks of tea?

Though I'm new to the tea scene, I'm certain that I'm going to be drinking plenty of it on a daily basis once my tea ware comes in and I find my tea of choice. I was thinking that I could buy a large amount like 1kg of tea and separate them into my average monthly consumption amount. Then freeze them with the intent of refilling my daily use tin when the time comes.

This idea comes from one of the storage techniques suggested at Maiko. I think in the long run I'm going to save money in shipping fees and eventually it will pay for my Food Saver equipment as well. I do understand that each year the harvest will vary and I'll probably have to do some sampling each year before I go and buy my daily tea in bulk.

Also how long do you think freezing tea would help extend the shelf life?

Thanks in advance for sharing your suggestions.

Dec 8th, '08, 14:27

by Pentox » Dec 8th, '08, 14:27

Hm, I would say that would very much depend on what kind of tea you like drinking. It sounds like you're going to bag the tea, which for some teas may be a bit much for them. A Bai Mu Dan for example would probably be crushed by vacuum bagging it. But with a sencha for example it is a bit heartier from crushing and vacuum packing is not an unheard of practice.

Then again I know there are foodsaver jars which won't crush them like they would in a bag. But those are a bit pricey from what I remember.

Personally I just buy my tea in smaller packages from the vendor, not many vendors I buy from offer 1kg bags. Nor would I like to look at the price tag on a 1 kilo bag.

Dec 8th, '08, 15:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Dec 8th, '08, 15:41

Yeah, you'd probably be best off getting one with a jar attachment if you're going to do that. The teas that can't be crushed would be fine in a bag, but plastic is oxygen permeable so you'd want to get mylar bags - which require a vacuum sealer with a nozzle (Sorbent Systems has one forr $99) and the mylar bags cost more.

From what I understand, freezing them really isn't a good idea. It doesn't do much for the tea, may even be bad for the tea, and it's likely to cause condensation when you take it out. Some keep teas in the refrigerator, but there's debate about whether that really does anything.

Other than getting a vacuum sealer with a jar attachment, your best bet would probably be to get big canisters and small tins, and just refill the small tin as needed. Tea keeps a lot longer when the canister isn't opened very often.

It also depends on the tea you're drinking, too. Roasted oolong, for example, benefits from long term storage in a normal tin. This ages it and often makes it taste better; especially with Wuyi oolong (Wuyi yancha).

I also agree with Pentox that I probably wouldn't want to buy that much tea at a time. In addition to the price tag, tastes change over time and every time I've bought in quantity I've regretted it. I have a few outstanding top-quality teas that I wouldn't mind getting in quantity now, and some that I want to have around for aging, but for everything else 4 oz or so is usually more than enough.

Dec 9th, '08, 01:08

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Dec 9th, '08, 01:08

I have to agree with not buying in large quantities......back when I was a newbie this seemed like a great idea.....I can find the tea I like...buy a ton to try and save a little money and everything will be great!....Not so much....I have not been happy any of the times I have purchased large amounts of tea. It was hard for me to rationalize why it would be better to buy small amounts more often and have to pay shipping each time than just buy in bulk......I didnt listen when people told me not to so I suppose I learned my lesson the hard way. The only circumstance I can see buying large amounts of tea would be with Pu-Erh......but thats a whole nother can of worms...Im sure you will find counter arguments to good ways to store large amounts of tea but I think you will find most of the people here that have a lot of credit to their name purchase tea in small quantities to ensure the freshest best tasting tea possible! Anyway, I hope this helps!

-Nick

+ Post Reply