Dec 7th, '08, 10:34

My Tea Lab...

by Vulture » Dec 7th, '08, 10:34

So I am thinking of setting something up in my room. I want to explore teas, iced teas, and blending tea. I mainly want to play with blending teas with other teas, other hot and cold drinks, spices and whatnot. Below is a list of what I would like to get to try stuff out, some I need help finding:

around 2 oz Gaiwan (can probably find on my own)
Electric Kettle (Getting the adagio one)

Reusable Iced Tea Container for fridge, I don't have a decent one right now. Would like a decent glass one that will last a while but we will see.

Tea Table - I need help on this one, I plan on getting one that I can make or use at coffee table height in my room. That way I can sit and brew at it. The problem is I will be using a lot of herbs and teas so I don't want something that is hard to clean...

Tea and spice organizer, don't know if this could be included or not with the tea table but I need something to stash tea in my room. I want to start getting small samplers of a lot of teas. You would be surprised that a bad tasting tea alone can make an amazing blend.

Later I might get a small fridge for my room to start stocking some iced teas. That might be closer to summer though as I don't want to fill the main fridge with it.

I will start slowly getting these together but I wanted to see what people thought, could add about these...

Dec 7th, '08, 10:43

by Carnelian » Dec 7th, '08, 10:43

In terms of iced tea storage, king arthur flour sells glass lidded refrigerator jugs, that fit in a refrigerator door.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/det ... 79&id=6620
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Dec 7th, '08, 10:46

by Vulture » Dec 7th, '08, 10:46

Carnelian wrote:In terms of iced tea storage, king arthur flour sells glass lidded refrigerator jugs, that fit in a refrigerator door.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/det ... 79&id=6620
Ooo I like those

Dec 7th, '08, 14:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 7th, '08, 14:32

I have what I am certain are glass pitchers made by this company, same shape and lid but a different design on the side of the glass. They work really nice. I plan on getting a few more since they are available locally at Reading China and Glass.

I was looking for GLASS, vs plastic.

Dec 7th, '08, 15:16

by heavydoom » Dec 7th, '08, 15:16

essential purchase :

Dec 7th, '08, 15:40

by geeber1 » Dec 7th, '08, 15:40

and these ...

Dec 7th, '08, 16:53

by Pentox » Dec 7th, '08, 16:53

For a fridge pitcher I use a Lupicia Handy Cooler. I like them (enough to have 3)

Dec 7th, '08, 17:08

by Mich » Dec 7th, '08, 17:08

you can pick up a nice 2 oz gaiwan at http://www.theteagallery.com/ i got one to finish off the last of samples.

Dec 8th, '08, 01:19

by Vulture » Dec 8th, '08, 01:19

Heavy and Geeber,

My sister makes costumes as part of her income/hobby while she goes to school. She has made herself a Dr. Horrible costume, I could probably get her to make one for me :twisted:

But seriously I need some help setting up the rest. I know most tea tables are just trays and not actual tables. Are there any built as an actual table or do I just get a cheap coffee table to set it on.

Or is this too much for one thread and I need to break it up?

Dec 8th, '08, 02:31

by Pentox » Dec 8th, '08, 02:31

They do have tea tables which are full tables, but they are not common products. In terms of selection and availability I would say you are much better off getting a regular over table one and find a coffee table you like to put it on.

As far as organizers go, everyone has a different method for storing their teas, and it is very dependent upon your container choice. For adagio sample tins for example, most spice racks work well for them. But many other teas come in pouches which provide a different challenge for storage, or any other tea that comes with it's own tin. My personal suggestion would be to get some medium sized flat lidded boxes for now. Photo boxes, some dvd cases (the ones to hold dvds in their case), document boxes, etc. Work well for this. It really depends on who you're buying from though.

Dec 8th, '08, 07:24

by Vulture » Dec 8th, '08, 07:24

Pentox wrote:As far as organizers go, everyone has a different method for storing their teas, and it is very dependent upon your container choice. For adagio sample tins for example, most spice racks work well for them. But many other teas come in pouches which provide a different challenge for storage, or any other tea that comes with it's own tin. My personal suggestion would be to get some medium sized flat lidded boxes for now. Photo boxes, some dvd cases (the ones to hold dvds in their case), document boxes, etc. Work well for this. It really depends on who you're buying from though.
I purchase from too many vendors, I will probably get a spice rack and a thin/long box for tea in bags.

Dec 8th, '08, 11:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Dec 8th, '08, 11:58

This is my cold-brew iced tea pot, makes 2-3 servings.
I like that it has a lid, and is made of all glass. Tea open to the air gets funky after just a few days.

Dec 8th, '08, 12:01

by Pentox » Dec 8th, '08, 12:01

Vulture wrote: I purchase from too many vendors, I will probably get a spice rack and a thin/long box for tea in bags.
That's why I find photo boxes/document boxes to work well. They're tall enough to hold most tins and pouches lay down nicely (for large pouches) smaller ones can stand. It gives a cleaner look to a pile of stuff.

Dec 8th, '08, 16:35

by Rakuras » Dec 8th, '08, 16:35

Well, well, that's quite a list for experimentation, Vulture. I do suggest going over to Ross on occasion to gather supplies as they have a mixed assortment of teacups, pitchers (glass and plastic), spice racks, and varying other household stock- but not near as much nor as expensive as Bed Bath and Beyond just across the street. As for tables, I'm ignorant as well due to my lack of needing one as a kettle, teapot, and a rag do well with the teas I tend to drink as we certainly have pestered eachother about at length, neh? I'd think to grab a cheap plastic or ceramic pan or lipped tray to hold you over if you need one soon or would like to experiment with the need for one before you do order a nice one later- but that's just my little opinion.

So I take you're going to be moving those teas from the cabinets to your room somewhere. If so, a small shelf unit installed inside a closet or on those slightly bare walls of yours would give you the space necessary if your teas are not testy to air. Those topped with spice racks for your sampler tins and pegged plate holders/display racks for your bagged teas would do nicely in that space. Just don't shine too many high intensity lights at those Oolong bags as I'm certain you'll go blind in short order. Continuing onto other items, I'd suggest against the fridge as you'd need to keep your fridge full anyways to maintain peak efficiency as a full fridge and freezer cuts down on the reactivation of the chilling cycle thus saving on electricity. If you two suddenly keep the fridge and freezer stocked fully and you're lacking room for 2-3 pitchers of tea then it'd be an option but I don't see that for a long while.

That should just about cover everything but the Gaiwan and Electric Kettle as I've my own questions about each. Pester me if you'd like to try the local shops for parts.

Dec 10th, '08, 01:44

by Vulture » Dec 10th, '08, 01:44

Added to the list is an aroma set and a mortar + Pestle (for spices).

I will have to hold off anything till after Christmas to set this fully up as I don't know what I will be getting...

+ Post Reply