There are metal ones and some cloth looking ones.
Which are the best?
i used to use a metal (SS mesh) strainer, but no longer use it. I just don't drink the last dregs in the tea cup.
There are some who say the metal affects the taste of the tea, but I am not such a connoisseur to be able to tell the difference. I just don't take that extra step.
If you use an intermediate pouring pitcher, you can pour into your drinking cup so that no debris ends up in the cup.
For non-puerh use, I still use it. Green loose tea has bits that float and it is better (for me) filtered
There are some who say the metal affects the taste of the tea, but I am not such a connoisseur to be able to tell the difference. I just don't take that extra step.
If you use an intermediate pouring pitcher, you can pour into your drinking cup so that no debris ends up in the cup.
For non-puerh use, I still use it. Green loose tea has bits that float and it is better (for me) filtered
Dec 6th, '08, 13:46
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
For puerh I use one of the cheap, tin filters that Scott at YSLLC generally includes along with the purchase of a pot. I have bought a couple other strainers that are fancier or prettier, but they usually don't work as well, either too big/clumsy or clog too easily.
Here's a photo with one of those strainers in the upper left corner. You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

Here's a photo with one of those strainers in the upper left corner. You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

Dec 6th, '08, 14:39
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Yes, they looked so much like fishies that it made the choice of teaware obscenely easy.geeber1 wrote: Sal, I love how the leaves at the bottom right are the same shape as the fish on your cup. Cool!
This was the September 15 TeaDay photo of Ya Bao, a very unusual tea from TeaSpring that Dizzwave included in the puerh box pass. In that post I claimed, "the dry leaves look like little scaly fish, dried shrimp, trout flies, grasshopper exoskeletons, or even tiny rabbits' feet."
I did a tiny mini-review of the tea HERE.
Unless the little bits really bother you, I vote for no filter.
I only use one if I'm brewing something with lots of little bits. When I do, I use one of the metal ones just because it's the only kind I have, but I think the gourd ones with a little piece of cloth as the filter are less likely to either cool down the tea or affect the flavor.
I only use one if I'm brewing something with lots of little bits. When I do, I use one of the metal ones just because it's the only kind I have, but I think the gourd ones with a little piece of cloth as the filter are less likely to either cool down the tea or affect the flavor.