Tea ceremony question

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 16th, '08, 03:36

Tea ceremony question

by Oni » Dec 16th, '08, 03:36

I would like to know, what diffrence does the fireplace, specially the Ro make to the water. I know that coal is burned on an ash bed to heat the large metal tetsubin, but that would keep the water nea 100 C, or worst more than boiling, doesn`t that make the water taste flat?
And what is the use of the freshwater jar and the used water jar in the tea ceremony.
How does the metal change the taste of the water? I read somewhere that it makes it sweeter.

Dec 16th, '08, 03:39

by Pentox » Dec 16th, '08, 03:39

I'm not that much of an expert on ceremony, but it isn't coal that's burned, but charcoal. It does bring the water up near boiling, but it's a fresh boil so it doesn't get the flat taste as quickly.

The jar is there for wastewater, it's the water used for rinsing / washing / etc.

I'm not sure how the metal affects the taste of the water, never had any.

If any of this is wrong please someone correct me.

Dec 16th, '08, 04:43

by Jayaratna » Dec 16th, '08, 04:43

Hi all,

as to what I understood the fresh water container (mizusashi) keeps at hand the fresh water needed to replenish the chagama (large tetsubin) after making tea. I think this prevents water from overboiling and also the tetsubin from overheating.

The THIRD video on this place shows also a woman drawing water from the mizusashi (at about 5:50 playing time):

http://japanese-tea-ceremony.net/prepar ... _movie.htm

Many information are available on the same website. Unfortunately they don't say much about the characoal laying procedure, which would be very interesting to me.

Andrea

Dec 16th, '08, 09:47

by chamekke » Dec 16th, '08, 09:47

In tea ceremony, the charcoal is prepared in such a way as to keep the water hot but not boiling. The ideal is to create a simmering sound that sounds like wind in pine trees.

The hot water is used first to heat the teabowl (which is rinsed and dried), and then to actually make the tea. After the guest has drunk the tea, the teabowl is rinsed, again with hot water - partially to re-clean the bowl, but also so that the bowl is still hot should the guest indicate that s/he wants another bowl of tea.

Once it's clear that the guest is truly finished, only then is a ladleful of cold water (from the mizusashi) poured into the teabowl. This cold water is used both to rinse the whisk - whose tines are also strengthened by the cold water - and, of course, to further clean the bowl. Then the bowl is dried once more.

Lastly, another ladleful of cold water is taken from the mizusashi and poured into the kama (kettle). This is largely symbolic: it says to the guest that s/he is welcome to return and that the host will always be prepared to make tea for him/her. It's like saying, "My kettle is always on for you!"

Incidentally, all rinse water is discarded into the kensui or waste-water container, which is kept to the side, away from the view of the guests.

The above describes how hot and cold water are used for making usucha, "thin" tea. It's much the same when making koicha, "thick" tea, with a couple of exceptions. With koicha, for example, a ladleful of cold water is added to the kama immediately prior to whisking (kneading) the matcha, since it's felt that it is better for the hot water to have a slightly lower temperature when making the koicha.

As for how the cast iron makes the tea taste: I think the flavour is more rounded and full.
Last edited by chamekke on Dec 16th, '08, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 16th, '08, 09:55

by chamekke » Dec 16th, '08, 09:55

Jayaratna wrote:Many information are available on the same website. Unfortunately they don't say much about the characoal laying procedure, which would be very interesting to me.
Charcoal procedure in general is known as sumidemae (炭点前), and a full chaji or tea event involves two layings of charcoal: the first is shozumi (正炭) and the second is gozumi (炭点前). If you do a Google search for those terms, or perhaps search on YouTube, you might find a bit more about it.

Soshitsu Sen's book Chado: The Japanese Way of Tea includes photographs and notes for an entire chaji, including shozumi (pp. 102-109) and gozumi (pp. 130-135). The first precedes the preparation of koicha (thick tea), while the second precedes the subsequent preparation of usucha (thin tea).

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Dec 16th, '08, 10:06

by Oni » Dec 16th, '08, 10:06

Thank you for the reply it clarified my question, and it makes me want to read a book about the tea ceremony, I think it is the ultimate tea experience.

Dec 16th, '08, 12:09

by Pentox » Dec 16th, '08, 12:09

And her Mekke'ness herself comes through with the full explanation yet again.

Dec 16th, '08, 16:46

Wow

by CHArming » Dec 16th, '08, 16:46

Great answer! I am just starting to get into the tea ceremony myself. I have been experimenting with preparing matcha for a while. I am just getting around to learning all of the subtleties of the ceremony. That book sounds great. Are there any other resources that you recommend as a must see/read as I take this on?

+ Post Reply