Jan 3rd, '09, 00:15

Question about a particular glass teapot...

by Cate » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:15

Hi! I've been addicted to teavana for almost two years now, and I use an teapot that has sort of a cup strainer where the lid is placed. I recently came across adagio teas, and recently ordered some and I can't wait. I've been wanting to get a new teapot for some time, because the one i'm using is getting quite old. Anyhoo, I came across this lovely pot and really want it!!

http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Tea ... Teapot.axd

So my question is, how the heck does it work? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to buy it, but i can't really understand the mechanics of it, and it doesn't really show much on the website. Most of the pots i'm familiar with have the strainer at the spout. Anyway, if someone could kindly explain it to me, that would be really great lol. thanks!

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:24

by edkrueger » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:24

It has a basket in it. Like this, but not as nice: http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?M ... A79EKMFM11

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:26

by Pentox » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:26

That particular pot is using a glass strainer basket. The center where all of the leaves are is is a small cup like piece that goes in the middle. If you look closely at the base here are small slits in the glass for water to flow in/out.

It's not a particularly effective way to brew tea though as the slits don't promote good water flow. They also get clogged very easily.

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:31

by edkrueger » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:31

The things I like about the bodum are that the infuser is plastic so it can have more holes in it while remaining structurally intact and it has the press part so the leaves can be blocked from the tea without actually removing the infuser.

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:43

by tenuki » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:43

I favor the Bodum DeChine series of tea infusers as the design is very simplistic and the basket essentially comprises most of the volume of the pot. Pair with the glass teawarmer and the Bodum cups for maximum glassage.

Last edited by tenuki on Jan 3rd, '09, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:44

by tenuki » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:44

Pentox wrote: It's not a particularly effective way to brew tea though as the slits don't promote good water flow. They also get clogged very easily.
My experience has been quite different.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:55

by Cate » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:55

I can't thank you all enough for your answers! I can see the slits a little bit now that i look closer. I'm still debating whether or not to get it.... I just absolutely LOVE the look of it! i was hoping to go off of some of the reviews on that particular pot, but there are none, unfortunately.

Jan 3rd, '09, 01:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 3rd, '09, 01:05

If you love it, you love it. It just looks very fragile to me. I don't like long spots on glass post. They make me very nervous.

Have a look around before you commit. I second the Bodum. They have other styles:

http://www.thefind.com/kitchen/info-glass-teapot

Jan 3rd, '09, 01:11

by Pentox » Jan 3rd, '09, 01:11

tenuki wrote:
Pentox wrote: It's not a particularly effective way to brew tea though as the slits don't promote good water flow. They also get clogged very easily.
My experience has been quite different.
Well one thing to notice that makes a very noticeable difference I would imagine is that the infuser section of yours constitutes probably 80% or more of the total volume of your cup. This means that the tea will exposed to most of the water w/o having to pass the infuser barrier. The pot in question though has probably a <30% containment area. And a consistent leaf:water usage ratio would be more inclined to expand to fully use the space and possibly choke the slits.

Jan 3rd, '09, 01:33

by Chip » Jan 3rd, '09, 01:33

Plus Tenuki's leaves are larger than yours, Pentox. :wink: I have never been a fan of the slit glass infusers either. But I must say, Tenki's is better than most for the reason you stated.

Welcome to TeaChat, Cate.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 3rd, '09, 11:07

by brandon » Jan 3rd, '09, 11:07

tenuki wrote:I favor the Bodum DeChine series of tea infusers as the design is very simplistic and the basket essentially comprises most of the volume of the pot. Pair with the glass teawarmer and the Bodum cups for maximum glassage.
+1, this pot has lots of room in the infuser and is easy to clean.
The slits in the glass are amazingly small, I have brewed guricha (cold brew) without getting more than one or two needles stuck in.

Jan 3rd, '09, 13:09

by edkrueger » Jan 3rd, '09, 13:09

I just dislike the dripping when removing the infuser basket.

+ Post Reply