Newbie Jasmine Question...

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 29th, '09, 22:50

Newbie Jasmine Question...

by maxerwin » Jan 29th, '09, 22:50

Ive been drinking tea for a few years now.

Recently I bought Jasmine #12 pearls on Adagio. Every time I steep them I seem to be burning them, as the taste is bitter.

Can anyone tell me (a) How much to use for a single large mug serving?, (b) What temp. water to use?, and (c) How long to steep?

Thank you so much for any responses.

Jan 29th, '09, 23:04

by Tea Noob » Jan 29th, '09, 23:04

the Temp is usually on the container.

Jan 29th, '09, 23:30

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jan 29th, '09, 23:30

If you could be a bit more descriptive of how large the mug is in ounces or ml. and also tell us how much of the tea you are using as well how hot your water is? Are you pouring it over right after it is boiling? Please describe your brewing process and we can help a little better.......until then, this is what I would reccommend:

1)Use about 10 pearls for an 8oz cup
2)Rinse the tea with water thats about 175-185 deg. F (for abour 2-3 sec.)
3)Pour in the rest of the water over the pearls and let is steep for about 2 mins

*Usually bitterness can be attributed to too high a water temp...so try dropping that and see if it doesent work......oversteeping is another culprit as well....hopefully this will get you started until you ca tell us a little bit more info! :)

Good luck!

-Nick

Jan 29th, '09, 23:32

Re: Newbie Jasmine Question...

by beecrofter » Jan 29th, '09, 23:32

maxerwin wrote:Ive been drinking tea for a few years now.

Recently I bought Jasmine #12 pearls on Adagio. Every time I steep them I seem to be burning them, as the taste is bitter.

Can anyone tell me (a) How much to use for a single large mug serving?, (b) What temp. water to use?, and (c) How long to steep?

Thank you so much for any responses.
About 15 pearls, a spoonful, maybe 180 degrees at the highest, it is afer all a green tea, so lower temps work nicely.

Jan 30th, '09, 09:58

by maxerwin » Jan 30th, '09, 09:58

There is my major problem. I was using an absurd number of pearls i guess (possibly 20 or more per cup) and steeping way too long (5 minutes as package suggests)

My mug is about 10 ounces. I have tried Nick's suggestion for this cup, and WOW does it taste different.

I can taste what the flavor is supposed to be like, and it is not bitter at all.

Thank you both for fast responses. I am sooooo happy with this tea now!

Maxwell

+ Post Reply