Feb 9th, '09, 14:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 9th, '09, 14:31

The cheapest starter kyusu(s) are at Den's. Less than 20 USD. They are glazed (which will help make clean up a bit easier for a starter) and a bit heavy, but solid and a good one(s) to have around even if you upgrade later.

Many of us have more than one.

The side handle design is the greatest, imho.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 9th, '09, 15:31

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 9th, '09, 15:31

gerTEA wrote:And where would a budget-conscious novice find a 'starter' kyusu?
I'll second Chip's suggestion on Den's. Here are the links to them: Shincha Teapot, Kokoro, and Yutori. I've had the Yutori for almost a year and absolutely love it. Since it is glazed inside, I have no issues brewing any type of tea in it.

As for a glass gaiwan, I have one and don't like it too much. I found that the knob on the lid gets very hot and that it doesn't retain heat well at all. Mine has a lid that looks exactly like the one in the picture that you linked, but the gaiwan itself is a more traditional style, holding about 5oz. I loved seeing the leaves while using it, but just really didn't like how difficult it was to pour once the glass got all hot.

I found the same thing with my glass teapot that I got from EnjoyingTea. The steam hole on top of the lid was right below the lid knob so it got very hot when I tried to hold the lid on the pot. I actually broke the lid when it got too hot to hold it on to and it slipped out of my fingers to the floor. I miss not being able to see the leaves and the color of the tea, but I quite like not burning my fingers.

Then again, you might have much better luck than I have with glassware.

Feb 9th, '09, 15:56

by Geekgirl » Feb 9th, '09, 15:56

Agree with the previous few posters. I have an embarrassing amount of teaware, and "mix 'n' match" teas to teaware with cultural abandon. I always brew sencha in a kyusu though. The leaves are too fine for most of my other brewing vessels, pot size matters, and a fast pour that drains the pot completely is practically a necessity.

Den's Kokoro and Yutori seem like good deals to me, although I don't have one. At the moment I only have one Tokoname kyusu (5 oz Gyokko pot), but delivery confirmation tells me my new one is at the P.O. for pickup as of an hour ago. YAY! Now I will have 2. The new one is a bit larger at just over 8.5oz.

Feb 9th, '09, 15:58

by Victoria » Feb 9th, '09, 15:58

I have that problem with my glass kyusu --- ouch.
Lots of glass brewing vessels have the vent through
the top knob. Not good.

Feb 9th, '09, 16:02

by Pentox » Feb 9th, '09, 16:02

Depending on what volume you like to brew, I love my Komarukyusu from Lupicia. It's a 5-6 ounce kyusu, but great shape, it's a tokoname unglazed kyusu. only 25 bux so it's slightly more than the den's, but I like it better. It also does the kyusu trick where it can stand on it's handle.

Feb 9th, '09, 16:05

by Geekgirl » Feb 9th, '09, 16:05

Pentox wrote:Depending on what volume you like to brew, I love my Komarukyusu from Lupicia. It's a 5-6 ounce kyusu, but great shape, it's a tokoname unglazed kyusu. only 25 bux so it's slightly more than the den's, but I like it better. It also does the kyusu trick where it can stand on it's handle.
What type of strainer does it have?

Feb 9th, '09, 16:14

by Pentox » Feb 9th, '09, 16:14

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Pentox wrote:Depending on what volume you like to brew, I love my Komarukyusu from Lupicia. It's a 5-6 ounce kyusu, but great shape, it's a tokoname unglazed kyusu. only 25 bux so it's slightly more than the den's, but I like it better. It also does the kyusu trick where it can stand on it's handle.
What type of strainer does it have?
Stainless mesh 360 ring. I think the 32.00 version is sasame.

Feb 9th, '09, 16:24

by Geekgirl » Feb 9th, '09, 16:24

thanks!

Feb 9th, '09, 17:53

by gerTEA » Feb 9th, '09, 17:53

Thanks, all, for the suggestions! I'm glad to hear good feedback on the Den's pots - I *love* the price of course, but it's nice to hear that they've been 'field tested' with good results! Will check out both Den's and Lupicia.

Victoria, you just jogged my memory that Avenue 18, where I got the Hario, also has a glass kyusu (though it was before I knew what to call it). Hmmm, so there's another one to check out (love my glass!)

To date, my tea ware "collection" includes one Hario Glass pot with stainless steel mesh infuser, one Bodum Yo-Yo SS infuser, and one relatively large glass 'tea gulping' mug. In addition to another brewing device, I'm thinking of adding a couple of the smaller Bodum Canteen double-walled cups to my collection....

Glad to have help considering my next purchase - we Virgos like to keep things "simple," yet rarely buy without performing some serious due diligence :-)
Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world.
- T'ien Yiheng

+ Post Reply