Feb 16th, '09, 16:02

My cast iron steeper

by Adam A. » Feb 16th, '09, 16:02

Here are my tools, tho I'm not sure I'm keeping it quite well... I rinse after every use and try not to leave tea in there for longer than the time it takes to steep (about 5 minutes, depending on the leaf)...

I've read I should dry it out as well; is that true?

Over the few years I've used it, the black enamel coating on the interior has flaked off via use... for a few weeks I had large flakes coming out and ruining my tea... Now I believe it has stopped, tho now I'm worried about the health effects...

Is it bad for your health to steep in unfinished cast iron? Is there a way to properly season the cast iron, like a skillet, which will not damage the taste? Still, every now and then I get an irony note in there...

Feb 16th, '09, 16:23
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 16th, '09, 16:23

I have a pot very similar to yours! :D

I believe it's important to let the pot thoroughly dry inside out, and I guess the lining layer will flake off if left wet for long. And once it starts, it may go on for a while, like the flaking off of the paint on a car. But I don't think it's harmful when cast iron is exposed after the flaking off.

Actually I don't understand why they don't use a thicker and tougher inside lining that never flakes off. It seems most inside-lined cast iron teapots have just a thin layer of lining.
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Feb 16th, '09, 16:35

by Adam A. » Feb 16th, '09, 16:35

Thanks for your reply gingko!

I forgot to mention, I do leave it upside down on a towel, so it does dry out, but has in the past been left full overnight. It makes sense that the water would remove the enamel after time, but I believe it is simply a faulty enamel...

You're right; they should really bulk up that inner surface, seeing that is is paramount in the tea's taste. It does not taste terrible, but there's certainly a level of iron in each brew.

I would think of oiling it if I could get an organic neutrally tasting kind... I've never heard of that being done tho...
gingko wrote:I have a pot very similar to yours! :D

I believe it's important to let the pot thoroughly dry inside out, and I guess the lining layer will flake off if left wet for long. And once it starts, it may go on for a while, like the flaking off of the paint on a car. But I don't think it's harmful when cast iron is exposed after the flaking off.

Actually I don't understand why they don't use a thicker and tougher inside lining that never flakes off. It seems most inside-lined cast iron teapots have just a thin layer of lining.

Feb 16th, '09, 16:42

by shogun89 » Feb 16th, '09, 16:42

tea seed oil. . .?

Feb 16th, '09, 16:46

by Adam A. » Feb 16th, '09, 16:46

shogun89 wrote:tea seed oil. . .?
Good idea... I'll keep my eyes open for a source; thanks.

+ Post Reply