How many Hagi are enough?

1
25
16%
2-3
23
15%
4-5
13
9%
6-7
5
3%
8-10
3
2%
11 or more
5
3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
78
51%
 
Total votes: 152

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 12:33
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Feb 28th, '09, 12:33

For those who haven't seen these earlier threads:

Hagi Ware (for Japanese green tea
A Short Progression of Hagi Ware (with photos!)

I own several pieces of Hagi, most of which haven't been posted yet. Must get around to it one of these days.

At the moment, TeaChatters seem to be particularly enthusiastic about oni-hagi (Deishi Shibuya) and "Seigan blue" hagi (Seigan Yamane). I love those too, and have cups/bowls made by both potters. However, there are many other styles of hagi; Chip's loquat-glazed guinomi is a case in point. The "Short Progression" thread includes some other examples that many people probably wouldn't even recognize as Hagi ware at first glance. I haven't seen many examples of amamori ("leaky-roof", i.e. spotted) hagiware here, for example. It would be easy to amass a vast collection of hagiware whose pieces (in terms of glaze and "feel") have little resemblance to one other - that's how varied it can be!

I voted "4-5" because of the (belated) realization that I actually treasure my pottery more when I have fewer pieces, not more. But, I can completely sympathize those who said "Infinity" :D

P.S. In my cup: some very delicious Old Bush Dan Cong from Tea Habitat.

P.P.S. Here's an example of the amamori type:

Image
Last edited by chamekke on Feb 28th, '09, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 12:39
Posts: 475
Joined: Sep 29th, '08, 08:49
Location: Floating blissfully in a bowl of Matcha

by Shelob » Feb 28th, '09, 12:39

Victoria wrote:I think I probably agree with how you feel about the chunkier pieces. But since I don't own one (yet) I won't be too harsh on them, only to say I prefer the more uniformly smooth coated ones. Also being a porcelain lover, I really do prefer a thinner lip. My new flared cups are PERFECT! I am drinking from one right now.
Yes Victoria, it is obvious that you prefer the more lightly and less glazed cups.
I do like that with the yunomi, however I find the other styles more interesting and aesthetically appealing with the deep crooks and crannies.

It's fun to learn all the differences we TeaChatters have. :)
YET! So you are looking and considering?

Thankkes for the great information Chamekke! I always enjoy your informative posts.
.

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 12:50
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21655
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Feb 28th, '09, 12:50

Herb_Master wrote:You are noted and quoted as a lover of Oolong. I like the look of some of the Hagi that has been shown, and find others look a bit clumsy. Yet, as others have observed, repeated viewing does tend to make even the clumsier looking ones appear more and more inviting.

When I do get round to buying one, how is it best used for oolong?
They seem quite large! Does one have to get the smallest possible? And only partially fill it - to prevent the bottom most contents being too cool!

Do you actually use it for Green oolongs, and/or would you recommend it for darker DHP?

Regarding the size isssue, the guinomi (sake cups) are a nice solution. You can use Hagi for whatever, but I just think some thought should go into it.
Last edited by Chip on Feb 28th, '09, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 12:51
Posts: 8107
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » Feb 28th, '09, 12:51

Shelob wrote:Yes Victoria, it is obvious that you prefer the more lightly and less glazed cups. I do like that with the yunomi, however I find the other styles more interesting and aesthetically appealing with the deep crooks and crannies.

It's fun to learn all the differences we TeaChatters have. :)
YET! So you are looking and considering?
Actually I was responding to Herb Master and his view of the chunkier pieces.
Not reiterating my position.

I actually do have a thickly glazed piece, although smooth.

And yes, I am always looking at teaware and considering.
:)

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 13:21
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21655
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Feb 28th, '09, 13:21

chamekke wrote:For those who haven't seen these earlier threads:

Hagi Ware (for Japanese green tea
A Short Progression of Hagi Ware (with photos!)

I own several pieces of Hagi, most of which haven't been posted yet. Must get around to it one of these days.

At the moment, TeaChatters seem to be particularly enthusiastic about oni-hagi (Deishi Shibuya) and "Seigan blue" hagi (Seigan Yamane). I love those too, and have cups/bowls made by both potters. However, there are many other styles of hagi; Chip's loquat-glazed guinomi is a case in point. The "Short Progression" thread includes some other examples that many people probably wouldn't even recognize as Hagi ware at first glance. I haven't seen many examples of amamori ("leaky-roof", i.e. spotted) hagiware here, for example. It would be easy to amass a vast collection of hagiware whose pieces (in terms of glaze and "feel") have little resemblance to one other - that's how varied it can be!

I voted "4-5" because of the (belated) realization that I actually treasure my pottery more when I have fewer pieces, not more. But, I can completely sympathize those who said "Infinity" :D

P.S. In my cup: some very delicious Old Bush Dan Cong from Tea Habitat.

P.P.S. Here's an example of the amamori type:

Image
Some of the enthusiam has to do with availablility I suppose. Thanks Chamekke for the great info!

Are those your Hagi?

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 13:28
Posts: 8107
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » Feb 28th, '09, 13:28

Thanks Chamekke, I had forgotten about that Hagi thread by Cloudy Day - probably the one that got me interested in Hagi! Nice to see it again!

My favorite of my new cups; in action this morning:

Image
Last edited by Victoria on Jul 5th, '10, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 13:38
Posts: 1308
Joined: May 10th, '08, 19:22
Location: Kentucky

by kymidwife » Feb 28th, '09, 13:38

Hagi Lust...

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by kymidwife on Feb 28th, '09, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 14:01
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Feb 28th, '09, 14:01

Gorgeous little cup, Victoria!

And I like kymidwife's hagi kyusu.

Sigh. I like hagi in all its forms.

Also posted to the show-and-tell thread ... here's a hagi sake cup that I bought three years ago. Actually, compared to most guinomi, it's rather massive: holds up to 125 ml of liquid. As a tea cup, however, it's the perfect companion to my gaiwan!

Image

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 14:14
Posts: 8107
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » Feb 28th, '09, 14:14

I'd like to see some full frontal nudity of that cup Chamekke! After all this is the
TeaPorn section, right?

I decided to take a couple of pictures of my THICK glazed Hagi cup albeit smooth:

Image
Image

(By the way the difference in color of the clay on the bottom is due to
my pre-soaking it)
Last edited by Victoria on Jul 5th, '10, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 14:19
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Feb 28th, '09, 14:19

Victoria wrote:I'd like to see some full frontal nudity of that cup Chamekke! After all this is the
TeaPorn section, right?
I'll do what I can... but where my cups and bowls are concerned, I'm a bit of a foot fetishist :twisted:

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 14:37
Posts: 8107
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » Feb 28th, '09, 14:37

cherylopal wrote:I voted infinity! :D

I feel in love with them while searching through these threads and so treated myself to one after parent conferences last month. Love the looks and the feel- a very pleasurable tea experience. Then I saw Chips' new ones and yours Victoria and feel like more is needed! Chip's white one is close to mine but much more organic and with more texture. I feel as if mine is now too smooth and lacking. And then the beautiful blue one... And your set Victoria-

so to infinity and beyond!
Cheryl, let's see that lil pup!!

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 17:21
Posts: 65
Joined: Jan 16th, '09, 14:32
Location: Vancouver

by snafu » Feb 28th, '09, 17:21

I love Hagi ware, especially Oni Hagi, but in small doses. It's the sort of thing that looks good to me alone but loses something as part of a set.

Here's my only Oni Hagi piece, a block-ish, angular yunomi by Shibuya Deshi.

Image

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 18:04
Posts: 8107
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » Feb 28th, '09, 18:04

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 18:42
Posts: 329
Joined: Jan 17th, '09, 15:45
Location: Maryland

by cherylopal » Feb 28th, '09, 18:42

Victoria wrote:
Cheryl, let's see that lil pup!!
very similar to this one-

Image

User avatar
Feb 28th, '09, 18:43
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Feb 28th, '09, 18:43

That's a lovely cup, snafu!

I like your cup too, cherylopal :-)

+ Post Reply