3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

Jun 3rd, '10, 22:41
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: The unofficial/official HAGI topic!

by Victoria » Jun 3rd, '10, 22:41

Thanks Britt. Well Toru is usually pretty good with his pics, but not this time. These were way better in person. Since I collect Hagi anyway, it was hard to pass up at $10 each, since I was buying some other things. I was pleasantly surprised. BTW - there is one left. :)

Jun 4th, '10, 09:57

by britt » Jun 4th, '10, 09:57

Victoria wrote:Thanks Britt. Well Toru is usually pretty good with his pics, but not this time. These were way better in person. Since I collect Hagi anyway, it was hard to pass up at $10 each, since I was buying some other things. I was pleasantly surprised. BTW - there is one left. :)
I've noticed that when it comes to female potters in Japan, their prices seem to be very low compared to their male counterparts and the female's work seems to be more finished. They're still typically Japanese in style, but quite a bit neater and often more appropriate to give as gifts to those unfamiliar with the wabi-sabi concept.

Jun 4th, '10, 10:14

by Chip » Jun 4th, '10, 10:14

Fantastic pieces, Iannon and Victoria!

Love the straw ash Iannon and the shape.

If those were not so pink, I likely would have added those to an order, Victoria.

Jun 4th, '10, 10:17

by Chip » Jun 4th, '10, 10:17

britt wrote:I've noticed that when it comes to female potters in Japan, their prices seem to be very low compared to their male counterparts and the female's work seems to be more finished. They're still typically Japanese in style, but quite a bit neater and often more appropriate to give as gifts to those unfamiliar with the wabi-sabi concept.
Possibly! Naoku, Noutomi Susumu's daugher ... her pieces are very reasonable I think. But this could also be due to her youth and lack of following.

Should be interesting to see what she turns out in a few years, and the prices.

Jun 4th, '10, 13:55

by Victoria » Jun 4th, '10, 13:55

Thanks Chip!

I tend to agree with you both on the female artists. And I have some Noutomi Naoko pieces too, posted here ... somewhere. I am looking forward to more. I also have two lovely hand painted Seto bowls that
I use quite often, they are just gorgeous and superbly crafted.

Jun 4th, '10, 15:26
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jun 4th, '10, 15:26

Victoria I got my gf one of those cups a while back, it is aged quite a bit maybe sometime I'll post a pic.

Jun 4th, '10, 15:34

by Victoria » Jun 4th, '10, 15:34

Oh we'd love to see the famed Hagi progression.
Please do!

Jun 7th, '10, 09:17

by Chesslover » Jun 7th, '10, 09:17

Hello you all HAGI lovers...I'm expecting my first HAGI cup to come and have few questions...I did read all 69 pages of this thread, but at the time wasn't paying attention to those questions...and now I don't want to go trough all that posts again, so:
1. when I get my HAGI cup, what do I do first (I remember something about sinking it into water - for how long? in what tempereature? how about drying the cup?)
2. what if there is a leackage? (could you describe the "cornstarch" method more deeply)
3. how to handle it? (only one tea? how to clean it?)
4. any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Jun 7th, '10, 09:29

by Chip » Jun 7th, '10, 09:29

Chesslover wrote:Hello you all HAGI lovers...I'm expecting my first HAGI cup to come and have few questions...I did read all 69 pages of this thread, but at the time wasn't paying attention to those questions...and now I don't want to go trough all that posts again, so:
1. when I get my HAGI cup, what do I do first (I remember something about sinking it into water - for how long? in what tempereature? how about drying the cup?)
2. what if there is a leackage? (could you describe the "cornstarch" method more deeply)
3. how to handle it? (only one tea? how to clean it?)
4. any other suggestions?
Congratulations! I hope it brings you great enjoyment! What did you purchase?

YES, a soaking is first in order. I place a cup in a pot of warm water, then bring up to a rumbling boil, not quite rolling as this might bounce the cup around. You can place a towel in the bottom of the pot to prevent damage.

Once this reaches a "pre boil" I then turn the water off usually and let it cool naturally. 4-8 hours is the normal soak time. If you notice an earthiness in taste, a resoak might be in order.

Leaking is very rare, it may sweat initially, that is fine ... it actually feels nice in the hand.

If you have a gusher ... then cornstarching might be the best solution. I will post that in another post ... unless someone else beats me to it.

I generally use one tea per cup since they are porous, but this is up to you. Certaily avoid "crossbrewing" highly aromatic teas such as houjicha, the roast aroma is hard to get rid of.

Suggestions ... get more Hagi! :mrgreen:

Jun 7th, '10, 13:42

by Victoria » Jun 7th, '10, 13:42

Congratulations on your first Hagi piece!

Of course there are always more than one school of thought, thanks Chip for explaining in detail your technique. As for me, I approach it more casually. I have never put a piece of contemporary Hagi in water on the stove. I would use that method on an older piece that has been stored and had a musty smell.

I just soak my new pieces in a bowl in the very hottest tap water for about an hour. Then dry with a towel. At that point I can use it right away, or not. If I use it later, I usually presoak it for just a few mins in hot water as I am preparing the tea. But many times I don't. I think if you do soak it before each use it seems to slow down the aging process a bit. As the day clay has adsorbed more water than tea. But of course many find the aging process to be part of the charm, as do I on most pieces.

If your piece has a lot of exposed clay, and you have concerns - or if you sense any earthiness or musty smell and you feel more comfortable using Chip's method, go ahead. Whatever you feel comfortable with. To each his/her own! Just love and enjoy your Hagi and congratulations!

Jun 7th, '10, 16:04

by Chesslover » Jun 7th, '10, 16:04

Thank you Chip an Victoria.

I bought one of those:
http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/h ... gicup.html

Jun 7th, '10, 16:10

by Victoria » Jun 7th, '10, 16:10

Aww, that was also my first Deishi Hagi piece!!! As you can see it is completely glazed except the foot ring, no need to worry. Not that there really is any need to worry, even on the unglazed areas. :)

You will love it, congrats!!

Last edited by Victoria on Jun 7th, '10, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 7th, '10, 16:14

by Chesslover » Jun 7th, '10, 16:14

:)

Can't wait to get it...

Jun 7th, '10, 16:55

by Chip » Jun 7th, '10, 16:55

You are welcome. Oh, shiro Deishi glaze shows the crackling quite nicely.

Enjoy. And with the clay used in that piece, you should have zero leak issues!

Jun 7th, '10, 16:58

by Geekgirl » Jun 7th, '10, 16:58

My first piece of hagi too! I love it still. :)

+ Post Reply