User avatar
Nov 5th 10 10:51 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Chip » Nov 5th 10 10:51 pm

Proinsias wrote:not sure if I should try Chip's method with the twine or just work around the crack
:lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Nov 6th 10 12:13 am
Posts: 2625
Joined: May 31st 08 6:44 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Geekgirl » Nov 6th 10 12:13 am

Wow!~ that's a spectacular break. Somehow I always feel better about those, than the ones where something just chips or cracks. At least there's no ambiguity regarding whether or not you should dispose of it. :lol:

User avatar
Nov 6th 10 3:03 am
Posts: 226
Joined: Dec 15th 09 12:43 am
Location: Canada

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by TubbyCow » Nov 6th 10 3:03 am

Proinsias wrote:Image
not sure if I should try Chip's method with the twine or just work around the crack
...How did this...? :cry:

Nov 6th 10 3:17 am
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th 06 5:42 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Proinsias » Nov 6th 10 3:17 am

TubbyCow wrote:...How did this...? :cry:
My wife......a fair portion of the day has been her saying 'sorry' and me saying 'it's ok'.

User avatar
Nov 6th 10 3:23 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Chip » Nov 6th 10 3:23 am

Proinsias wrote:
TubbyCow wrote:...How did this...? :cry:
My wife......a fair portion of the day has been her saying 'sorry' and me saying 'it's ok'.
How is the lump on your head? :mrgreen: (assuming she threw it at you)

I would say you have the most broken into smithereens pot I have ever seen!

Nov 6th 10 3:26 am
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th 06 5:42 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Proinsias » Nov 6th 10 3:26 am

don't worry about me, I ducked :mrgreen:

User avatar
Nov 6th 10 7:48 am
Posts: 1408
Joined: Oct 5th 09 9:03 am
Location: UK

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Alex » Nov 6th 10 7:48 am

I think you're just being fussy. Embrace its imperfections and carry on using and enjoying it.
















:mrgreen:

User avatar
Nov 6th 10 8:01 am
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Victoria » Nov 6th 10 8:01 am

Ouch! Well you win the category.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
Nov 21st 10 4:54 pm
Posts: 734
Joined: Jan 27th 09 2:52 pm
Location: Alice's Tea Party

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by woozl » Nov 21st 10 4:54 pm

What's worse than breaking your favorite kyusu?

breaking a brand new un crhristened pot........ :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Nov 21st 10 9:01 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Victoria » Nov 21st 10 9:01 pm

Oh no!! Pics to help share your grief?

User avatar
Nov 22nd 10 2:47 am
Posts: 258
Joined: Apr 28th 09 10:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by chicagopotter » Nov 22nd 10 2:47 am

Scored a kyusu set on ebay. decided to clean everything by boiling. Kyusu and 4 teacups survived however yuzamashi did not:
IMG_1763 (500x334).jpg
IMG_1768 (500x334).jpg
IMG_1767 (500x334).jpg
Not sure what caused it, but the pieces thickness is not uniform. Just couldn't handle the stress. Might have it repaired using kintsugi, which is gonna cost me much much more than I paid for the whole set. To me it's worth it tho...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nov 25th 10 9:43 pm

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Fredrik » Nov 25th 10 9:43 pm

I dont think you're supposed to boil any japanese teaware. Could be wrong though.

User avatar
Nov 26th 10 2:08 am
Posts: 258
Joined: Apr 28th 09 10:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by chicagopotter » Nov 26th 10 2:08 am

Fredrik wrote:I dont think you're supposed to boil any japanese teaware. Could be wrong though.
lesson learned the hard way...

User avatar
Nov 26th 10 2:24 am
Posts: 2228
Joined: Jul 22nd 09 2:55 pm
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by AdamMY » Nov 26th 10 2:24 am

chicagopotter wrote:
Fredrik wrote:I dont think you're supposed to boil any japanese teaware. Could be wrong though.
lesson learned the hard way...
Some Japanese Teawares should be boiled, or at least soaked for extended lengths of time. Personally if anything has exposed clay, or in general is hagi, I feel a nice soak or mild boil is likely beneficial.

User avatar
Nov 26th 10 2:39 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Chip » Nov 26th 10 2:39 am

I do a soft boil with some types of Japanese teawares, slowly building up the temp. Once it reaches the soft boil stage, I turn it off.

However, I have already walked away and remembered a pot containing Hagi well over an hour later ... rolling boil the whole time. No harm done. Though I would not recommend this.

I think the biggest thing is slowly raising the temp, not dropping something into boiling water.