Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Yes (wait till next year harvest just to be safe than sorry)
19%
No (buy like usual)
76%
No (buy lesser)
5%

Total votes: 103

Mar 29th, '11, 09:29

Re: Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

by fire_snake » Mar 29th, '11, 09:29

Worst case, you can always purchase what's left of the 2010 harvest. And if you're really paranoid you can go through places like The Tea gallery (not based in Japan.) Your choice will be limited, but it *is* an option. Though supplies will be limited and ever-dwindling, of course.

Luckily, most of the tea producing regions are outside the radiation zones (i.e., like Hibiki-an's farms), but then you run into the problem of what happens when your order hits customs upon entry into your country. I'm in Canada and expecting a Gyokuro shipment, and it's already rather late. I'll be happy to report back on its condition when (and if) it gets to me.

Christian

Mar 29th, '11, 09:59
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Mar 29th, '11, 09:59

Tea orders into the USA are running behind, that is for sure.

Mar 29th, '11, 10:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 29th, '11, 10:11

I just received a non tea shipment via EMS in 3-4 days ... I thought it could be held up a little, but it was smooth sailing.

Tea could be another story. Not sure what customs would do. Hope to hear reports of how others have fared!!!

Mar 29th, '11, 17:59

by mlafranc » Mar 29th, '11, 17:59

Yesterday I placed an order with O-cha. I figure I'd better stock up now, because who knows what the next months will bring. And I trust O-cha and want to support them. I ordered EMS shipping, just in case the U.S. Customs situation becomes more restrictive.

Mar 30th, '11, 13:20

by Nenugal » Mar 30th, '11, 13:20

mlafranc wrote:Yesterday I placed an order with O-cha. I figure I'd better stock up now, because who knows what the next months will bring. And I trust O-cha and want to support them. I ordered EMS shipping, just in case the U.S. Customs situation becomes more restrictive.
It's good to see that he is back, I just ordered some YM LE from him earlier today too...

Mar 30th, '11, 15:31

by Chesslover » Mar 30th, '11, 15:31

Me too...

Mar 30th, '11, 15:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 30th, '11, 15:43

Me threeeeee ... :mrgreen:

Mar 30th, '11, 18:17

by NOESIS » Mar 30th, '11, 18:17

Just received my parcel from Yuuki. Used standard shipping, and it got to me without any delay (5 days, Japan to California).

Mar 31st, '11, 05:44

by al_pacino » Mar 31st, '11, 05:44

I'd like to buy Matcha Kotobuki, or any other Premium, superior grade, matcha tea. I found Maiko's online store, but I don't know if they are shipping to EU, and if their products are safe. Do you have any other suggestions regarding online shops, based outside Japan, who are selling high grade, premium kinds of matcha tea, ready to ship to EU? Thank you in advance! :)

Mar 31st, '11, 08:28
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Mar 31st, '11, 08:28

I wonder if the mod could make a dedicated sticky on this subject? I say that because the same thing is being asked over, and over, and over.

How far away are the fields where Japanese green tea grown from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant? (Hint: It's pretty FAR!)

When was the matcha you are considering to buy made? (Hint: 2011 green tea has not been harvested yet.)

Has any radioactivity been detected in the areas where green tea is grown ( No.)

When 2010 green tea runs out ( we're talking a few weeks), you will have two choices - buy Japanese green tea, or don't buy it. There will really be no difference which grower/supplier/manufacturer you get it from because Japanese green tea is grown in the southern half of the island and these places are relatively close to one another.

Mar 31st, '11, 08:44
Vendor Member

by Xell » Mar 31st, '11, 08:44

Sometimes people go way too far, i got one message that even more than 1000km away from Fukushima is not far enough to ensure safety :shock: I'm talking here about tea from Saga prefecture. Sigh, media did a great job here :(

Mar 31st, '11, 09:03

by lkj23 » Mar 31st, '11, 09:03

Goverment in Japan is hidding information. They say that radioactivity found in the sea is safe....hahaha....Experts in Spain are very pissed and belying this, they say that are hidding information. Is very dangerous the radioactivity incorporated in trophic chain in a country that eat a lot of fish..

Mar 31st, '11, 09:21
Vendor Member

by Xell » Mar 31st, '11, 09:21

lkj23 wrote:Goverment in Japan is hidding information. They say that radioactivity found in the sea is safe....hahaha....Experts in Spain are very pissed and belying this, they say that are hidding information. Is very dangerous the radioactivity incorporated in trophic chain in a country that eat a lot of fish..
What experts, can you specify source? At least what is reported, it's not that serious yet, as most of it has really short half life and won't get to humans, since food chain is quite long. But they need to stop the leak or it can get a lot more serious.

So far, food safety should be fine and not dangerous. This is coming from an expert in radiation hygiene. Not me, but a person i know, she worked for many years with data from Chernobyl incident.

There is lack of information though, but who could blame them in current situation when they are way to busy, to handle all those problems at nuclear power plant?

Mar 31st, '11, 10:57

by lkj23 » Mar 31st, '11, 10:57

short half-life.....see the new study about chernobyl:
http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.ht ... Body+Title

and is iodine, not plutonium....

Source is various experts in nuclear energy talking on tv´s news. After that a lot of newspaper on the net show the news. 8 days ago found plutonium (24.000 years half life) in fukushima and goverment en Japon said was safe..hhahaha... is sad
http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20110315/ex ... 7080.shtml
http://www.eleconomista.es/internaciona ... ticia.html
http://www.swissinfo.ch/spa/suiza_y_el_ ... d=29738058
http://www.elperiodicodearagon.com/noti ... kid=656357

And more...

Mar 31st, '11, 11:12

by olivierco » Mar 31st, '11, 11:12

Xell wrote: There is lack of information though, but who could blame them in current situation when they are way to busy, to handle all those problems at nuclear power plant?
I don't agree with you. Tepco officials are known to have hidden many facts in previous years. Moreover they are paid huge amounts of money (their president earns about 4,000,000$ per year if not more) precisely because their job is to take adequate decisions and assume responsibility for their decisions.
They weren't way too busy to cover themselves anyway. They have attempted to minimize the problem, refused international aid, claimed for days that the next 48 hours would be crucial. They were unable to give correct figures for radiation levels.