Shincha 2008 Lineup

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 7th, '08, 15:19

by chamekke » May 7th, '08, 15:19

My shincha order is still... not here. {sobs quietly}

I would like to second Jeremy's request. Even as a not-so-newbie, I too would find it helpful to have an overview of the shincha species and breeds ;)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 7th, '08, 20:39

by witches brew » May 7th, '08, 20:39

My first Shincha...oh my!

Den's Hashiri Shincha, described as the first of the first flush sencha. Origin:Ashikubo, Shizuoka. Brewed as recommended, which is very gently: 1.5 teaspoons in 4 oz. of 160F water, 90 sec.

I don't have the vocabulary to describe what I am tasting. The color of the tea is a pale yellow-green. The aroma is sweet and green at the same time, like a distant scent of honey floating across the lawn. Honey and clover. Clover honey.

The first taste is slightly astringent, and then the fresh green flavor opens up. It's sweet and delicate. The flavor lingers on my tongue, especially the sweetness. How can such a thin liquid taste round and full in my mouth? It just does.

I am too tired and spaced to relate to this tea on an intellectual level. I am so open to experiencing it emotionally. It takes me places I remember with fondness. Running through the meadow at dusk, chasing fireflies. Laughing and playing in the sunny fields near my childhood home. The shores of Paradise. My entire childhood is in this cup.

I have never tasted tea so delicious.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 7th, '08, 21:00

by insanitylater » May 7th, '08, 21:00

my farmer's shincha from hibiki-an shipped

hope it gets here soon

May 7th, '08, 21:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 7th, '08, 21:02

witches brew wrote:I don't have the vocabulary to describe what I am tasting. The color of the tea is a pale yellow-green. The aroma is sweet and green at the same time, like a distant scent of honey floating across the lawn. Honey and clover. Clover honey..
Holy cripes, this stuff has GOT to be illegal. And to think I decided not to order any! Re-thinking, re-thinking, re-thinking ...

I want to recapture my lost youth too! w00t!

May 7th, '08, 21:19

by Victoria » May 7th, '08, 21:19

witches brew wrote:My first Shincha...oh my!

Den's Hashiri Shincha, described as the first of the first flush sencha. Origin:Ashikubo, Shizuoka. Brewed as recommended, which is very gently: 1.5 teaspoons in 4 oz. of 160F water, 90 sec.

I don't have the vocabulary to describe what I am tasting. The color of the tea is a pale yellow-green. The aroma is sweet and green at the same time, like a distant scent of honey floating across the lawn. Honey and clover. Clover honey.

The first taste is slightly astringent, and then the fresh green flavor opens up. It's sweet and delicate. The flavor lingers on my tongue, especially the sweetness. How can such a thin liquid taste round and full in my mouth? It just does.

I am too tired and spaced to relate to this tea on an intellectual level. I am so open to experiencing it emotionally. It takes me places I remember with fondness. Running through the meadow at dusk, chasing fireflies. Laughing and playing in the sunny fields near my childhood home. The shores of Paradise. My entire childhood is in this cup.

I have never tasted tea so delicious.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7th, '08, 21:35

by Chip » May 7th, '08, 21:35

That sounds like a true TeaExperience WB!!! That has been in and out of my cart for a couple weeks.

He/she who hesitates, does't get the Hashira.

May 7th, '08, 22:02

by witches brew » May 7th, '08, 22:02

Chip wrote:That sounds like a true TeaExperience WB!!! That has been in and out of my cart for a couple weeks.

Well, put it BACK in your cart. It was a TeaExperience for me, and I am curious what someone with more tea experience thinks of it.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 7th, '08, 22:15

by Salsero » May 7th, '08, 22:15

witches brew wrote:Well, put it BACK in your cart.
Ordered 2 oz. Alert to my green team.

May 7th, '08, 22:27

by JT » May 7th, '08, 22:27

Some of my ordered Shincha arrived this week from Zencha.
Premium Sencha Takumi Shincha and Shizu Super Premium Shincha. The aroma of the Takumi is amazing.
Still trying to figure out brewing parameters on these since I couldn't find any listed.
Waiting for Miyabi and Yutaka Midori from O-cha and Shincha Fukamushi from Hibiki-an.

I'm considering getting some more Shincha but haven't determined what and from where yet.
Den's Hashiri and Houryoku are tempting as is Ito en's 2008 Kagoshima Shincha.
Anyone want to recommend me some that I shouldn't pass up?

May 8th, '08, 00:18

by bambooforest » May 8th, '08, 00:18

Witches Brew: thanks for sharing your tea experience. In a good cup of sencha, can be found all the glory of Japan, past, present and future...

JT: I have the Takumi in my possession from Zencha. I like it more now, than I did before. I upped the leaf. It's very delicious and wonderful. I'm impressed you got their premium Shizuoka. I just know that gots to be good. Let me know what it tastes like - so that I can live vicariously through you!!

May 8th, '08, 01:27

by Chip » May 8th, '08, 01:27

JT wrote:Some of my ordered Shincha arrived this week from Zencha.
Premium Sencha Takumi Shincha and Shizu Super Premium Shincha. The aroma of the Takumi is amazing.
Still trying to figure out brewing parameters on these since I couldn't find any listed.
Waiting for Miyabi and Yutaka Midori from O-cha and Shincha Fukamushi from Hibiki-an.

I'm considering getting some more Shincha but haven't determined what and from where yet.
Den's Hashiri and Houryoku are tempting as is Ito en's 2008 Kagoshima Shincha.
Anyone want to recommend me some that I shouldn't pass up?
The Takumi should be tried by any sencha head at some point...it is a wondrous brew.

Starting with Gokoh varietal leaf (the stuff they make gyokuro). The dry aroma was a thing of wonder.

I had shincha last year and went with around 4.5 grams per 200 ml 168* 1.5 or longer...this was last year's though.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 8th, '08, 01:30

by Chip » May 8th, '08, 01:30

witches brew wrote:
Chip wrote:That sounds like a true TeaExperience WB!!! That has been in and out of my cart for a couple weeks.

Well, put it BACK in your cart. It was a TeaExperience for me, and I am curious what someone with more tea experience thinks of it.
OK, the good witch of the east made me do it.

Did you brew this is your giant cauldron over an open flame.

I think you put a spell on me...I gotta get this!!!!

EDIT...the deed is done. I went with the gift set, with free shipping, etc, I figure the kyusu is only 12 bucks. (pure rationalization)

May 8th, '08, 07:32

by Selaphiel » May 8th, '08, 07:32

Placed an order for some Shincha yesterday, 100g of Uji Kirameki and 100g of Yutaka Midori.

Been a bit absent from the tea world lately due to pretty heavy workloads and experiences, but had a nice cup of Uji Gyokuro Yume no ukihashi that really re-kindled the old tea spirit :D
Was hoping for some brewing tips on the shincha I ordered, so if you have a good feeling for it please let me know.

May 8th, '08, 09:04

by bambooforest » May 8th, '08, 09:04

Chip wrote:
EDIT...the deed is done. I went with the gift set, with free shipping, etc, I figure the kyusu is only 12 bucks. (pure rationalization)
Master Chip, your powers are growing stronger with each passing day...

May 8th, '08, 09:40

by inspectoring » May 8th, '08, 09:40

well...the hashiri seems to be destined to be my first shincha ever. Witches brew's review finally convinced me to give up my daily gyokuro and koicha to go for this one.

How does the shincha thing work - do vendors change their tea offerings as time goes on in the spring?
Also - anyone had a chance to compare this to o-cha's offerings?

+ Post Reply