Wednesday, 7/02/08 TeaDay All time favorite tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

OK, your favorite OF ALL TIME NOW, what is your all time favorite tea?

Black
24%
(oolong)
33%
Green
30%
White
2%
Yellow
No votes
Pu-erh
8%
Rooibos
No votes
Herbal
3%
Yerbe Mate
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 63

Jul 2nd, '08, 21:19

by RussianSoul » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:19

tenuki wrote:I can't believe nobody participated in my unannounced and unofficial Haiku contest.

Let me sweeten the pot, whoever thinks they win can imagine their favorite tea won today's poll. There, that should get things popping.
Ok, ok, here it goes...

Black for warmth and heartiness
Green for spring and gaiety
Oolong for long... Or is it?

:oops:

Jul 2nd, '08, 21:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:19

Make that four behind, suckas!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 2nd, '08, 21:21

by henley » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:21

britt wrote:
henley wrote:Although I will have to admit, I didn't discover shincha til after the season was over but next year...
Why wait until next year? O-Cha still has shincha in stock.
Okay, it's officially all your fault! I just ordered Shizuoka Sencha Hatsumi from O-Cha. Their product listing says it's still in Shincha form. This has been the only green tea that I've tried so far that's been worth the extra effort required of greens. If it's not good, it may land on your doorstep!

Jul 2nd, '08, 21:33

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:33

britt wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote:It is definitely a toss up between greens and oolongs, though given the competition at the moment, I choose to remain neutral.
When in doubt, it is always safe to vote GREEN! :wink:

Right now green lags by only three votes; YOUR VOTE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND BRING ABOUT MUCH NEEDED CHANGE!!!
Ummm OOLONG IS THE CHANGE it has been green around here for a long, long time.

Jul 2nd, '08, 21:55

by tenuki » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:55

And now some older sheng (80s Yinhao Lincang toucha I got from Shuiwen at FLT). The wrapping on this sucker is almost as thick as a paper bag, and by now has the consistency of cloth. It's a very sensual experience to wrap and unwrap it, but it tears a bit each time. Today a piece of the wrapper came off, sigh. It's a bit larger than the 100g 2007 identical toucha I have, one of these days when I have time I'll do a side by side comparison and taste for kicks.

I've found the secret to this particular puerh is to use very little leaf and brew as close to boiling as possible in my purple YiXing. Long lasting, crystal clear, earthy sweetness, this tea will take me well into tomorrow with confidence. It's heartening to drink a tea that get's better and better with age; makes me think that maybe I haven't peaked yet. :D

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:06

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:06

tenuki wrote:Image

And now some older sheng (80s Yinhao Lincang toucha I got from Shuiwen at FLT). The wrapping on this sucker is almost as thick as a paper bag, and by now has the consistency of cloth. It's a very sensual experience to wrap and unwrap it, but it tears a bit each time. Today a piece of the wrapper came off, sigh. It's a bit larger than the 100g 2007 identical toucha I have, one of these days when I have time I'll do a side by side comparison and taste for kicks.

I've found the secret to this particular puerh is to use very little leaf and brew as close to boiling as possible in my purple YiXing. Long lasting, crystal clear, earthy sweetness, this tea will take me well into tomorrow with confidence. It's heartening to drink a tea that get's better and better with age; makes me think that maybe I haven't peaked yet. :D
Wow, cool.

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:17

by tenuki » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:17

RussianSoul wrote:
tenuki wrote:I can't believe nobody participated in my unannounced and unofficial Haiku contest.

Let me sweeten the pot, whoever thinks they win can imagine their favorite tea won today's poll. There, that should get things popping.
Ok, ok, here it goes...

Black for warmth and heartiness
Green for spring and gaiety
Oolong for long... Or is it?

:oops:
heh, nice.

I say Oo, you say Long
oo
long
oo
long
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:21

by rodstnmn » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:21

My all time favorite tea is oolong. In my cupboard at the moment, I have 7.
Pouchong, Tung Ting, TKY, Milk, Zhongshan, WuYi, and Bai Hao.
In my cup I have 3rd(maybe 4th) infusion of Zhongshan Baiye.
Have a great evening everyone.

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:25

by britt » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:25

henley wrote:Although I will have to admit, I didn't discover shincha til after the season was over but next year...
britt wrote: Why wait until next year? O-Cha still has shincha in stock.
henley wrote: Okay, it's officially all your fault! I just ordered Shizuoka Sencha Hatsumi from O-Cha. Their product listing says it's still in Shincha form. This has been the only green tea that I've tried so far that's been worth the extra effort required of greens. If it's not good, it may land on your doorstep!
Oh-oh, I may be in trouble. The Hatsumi is the one shincha I would have suggested you skip this year. Quite a few have had trouble with the 2008 harvest of this one. The Yutaka Midori IMO is much easier to brew, more flavorfull, and is consistently my favorite, both last year and in 2008.

If it's too late to change the order, don't despair! It took me a while to tame the Hatsumi, and it is good, it's just not my favorite. Chip has apparently figured this one out so you may want his help, otherwise you may kill me! I found cooler water, less tea, and more time for the first infusion (90 to 120 sec), and instant pour on the second, works well. I would suggest you try Chip's advice first.

Chip, please help Henley or I'm in big trouble! I should have voted oolong. :cry:
Last edited by britt on Jul 2nd, '08, 22:37, edited 3 times in total.

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:28

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:28

rodstnmn wrote:My all time favorite tea is oolong. In my cupboard at the moment, I have 7.
Pouchong, Tung Ting, TKY, Milk, Zhongshan, WuYi, and Bai Hao.
In my cup I have 3rd(maybe 4th) infusion of Zhongshan Baiye.
Have a great evening everyone.
Is that the one from SpecialTeas?

Thanks for joining us this evening!

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:34

by RussianSoul » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:34

britt wrote:
henley wrote:
britt wrote:
Why wait until next year? O-Cha still has shincha in stock.
Okay, it's officially all your fault! I just ordered Shizuoka Sencha Hatsumi from O-Cha. Their product listing says it's still in Shincha form. This has been the only green tea that I've tried so far that's been worth the extra effort required of greens. If it's not good, it may land on your doorstep!
Oh-oh, I may be in trouble. The Hatsumi is the one shincha I would have suggested you skip this year. Quite a few have had trouble with the 2008 harvest of this one. The Yutaka Midori is IMO much easier to brew and is consistently my favorite, both last year and in 2008.

If it's too late to change the order, don't despair! It took me a while to tame the Hatsumi, and it is good, it's just not my favorite. Chip has apparently figured this one out so you may want his help on this one, otherwise you may kill me! I found cooler water, less tea, and more time for the first infusion (90 to 120 sec), and instant pour on the second, works well. I would suggest you try Chip's advice first.

Chip, please help Henley or I'm in big trouble! I should have voted oolong. :cry:
Don't worry about Henley, britt! Henley is a pro with Hatsumi. She has been there and has done that. And obviously enjoyed it. Hee-hee!

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:36

by Riene » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:36

Greens brings with them the taste of spring
Of grass and wind and rain
Oolongs hold the taste of fall
Of leaf-smoke evenings once again
But
black is each morning's gentle rush
And in my cup supreme will reign!

WHERE did all these oolong drinkers come from? :shock:

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:41

by britt » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:41

RussianSoul wrote:Don't worry about Henley, britt! Henley is a pro with Hatsumi. She has been there and has done that. And obviously enjoyed it. Hee-hee!
I can come out of hiding now? :D

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:47

by henley » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:47

britt wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:Don't worry about Henley, britt! Henley is a pro with Hatsumi. She has been there and has done that. And obviously enjoyed it. Hee-hee!
I can come out of hiding now? :D
Yeah, Britt. You're okay. :wink: I had some excellent instructions sent to me w/the Hatsumi.

RS - What you sent, did it come from O-Cha & did I order the same thing? That's the part I was nervous about.

Tried some Genmai Cha tonight. Unless hubby tries it & likes it, it will be finding a new home...

Jul 2nd, '08, 22:56

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 22:56

Loosing the OOLONG TRIFECTA
but...
Breaking a new post record for TeaDay, Yay!