Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Yes (wait till next year harvest just to be safe than sorry)
19%
No (buy like usual)
76%
No (buy lesser)
5%

Total votes: 103

Mar 31st, '11, 22:13
Vendor Member

Re: Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

by Xell » Mar 31st, '11, 22:13

Yesterday was too hectic day i should have first prepared tea and then visit forums, not opposite :D

Well, in short. Unless people will try to drink sea water near power plant, there are no risks involved yet. I think more of rad-workers, some of them will pay a huge price for mistakes of their government.

p.s.
May be make a sticky of different topic with ONLY information? Like which countries refuse food import from Japan and location of tea plantations? In this topic it's quite difficult to find necessary information for people, who didn't follow it :)

Apr 1st, '11, 10:58

by Jayaratna » Apr 1st, '11, 10:58

a.serrao wrote: [...]
This way the envelope is blocked in customs, where they open the package and take a sample to be tested for radiation. Obviously this spoils my tea, freshness gone.
[...]
Italian customs are not that refined: they will try to "get rid of the problem" without spending money on analysis, simply sending back your parcel. And if it's not traceable they' won't even send it back, they'll just trash it.
A

Apr 1st, '11, 16:42

by a.serrao » Apr 1st, '11, 16:42

Jayaratna wrote:Italian customs are not that refined: they will try to "get rid of the problem" without spending money on analysis, simply sending back your parcel. And if it's not traceable they' won't even send it back, they'll just trash it.
A
Unfortunately the importer has to pay all tests cost. They will not spend a penny on it! :oops:
On the following link can be found the EU latest legislation about the Japanese food imports, in relation to Fukushima Dai-ichi NPP accident.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 008:EN:PDF

The vendor has to fill in the form on the last page of the pdf. The declaration shall be signed by an authorised representative of the Japanese competent authorities.
Fortunately this burden will end on 30 June 2011: this is the validity of the EU declaration.

Apr 2nd, '11, 14:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 2nd, '11, 14:37

Buying ... at a time that in year's previous I would wait for Shincha ... I decided to BUY now and during Shincha as we never know what tomorrow will bring.

And arrived today along with a new (temporary I am guessing) address of Tsuen Tea Shop in Uji. O-Cha is still O-Cha, but Tsuen has opened their doors and hearts to O-Cha who left Fukushima as virtual refugees.

Apr 2nd, '11, 16:07

by JRS22 » Apr 2nd, '11, 16:07

I'm looking forward to receiving a box with a label like yours. I decided not to wait for shincha season since I prefer my japanese greens a bit mellower, so I ordered 2 gyokuros and a karigane style tea fro O-cha.

Apr 2nd, '11, 16:18

by Chip » Apr 2nd, '11, 16:18

JRS22 wrote:I'm looking forward to receiving a box with a label like yours. I decided not to wait for shincha season since I prefer my japanese greens a bit mellower, so I ordered 2 gyokuros and a karigane style tea fro O-cha.
Excellent, this is the time of year for gyo, IMHO. Events in japan have temporarily postponed the first gyokuro OTTI ... so I am Jonesing.

BTW, check out the ship date on my package, 3/31/11 Japan time. Arrived in the USA 4/2/11, that is CRAZY fast!!!!!!!!! I went with EMS this time around since there was no sencha to be found here.

Apr 2nd, '11, 18:36

by Geekgirl » Apr 2nd, '11, 18:36

I have to admit that I'm one of the irrationally fearful. I know (intellectually) that there is no risk, but I still just can't make myself pull the trigger on my latest order. :( And I know if I do make the purchases, they will sit in the cupboard because of my fears. Fear is not always logical. :?

Apr 2nd, '11, 19:39

by mlafranc » Apr 2nd, '11, 19:39

I received my o-Cha order today -- 2 gyo and a Yutaka Midori LE. Shipped from Uji 3/30, reached Las Vegas 4/2. Went through Customs in a heartbeat. Yay, happy day!

Apr 3rd, '11, 06:08

by solitude » Apr 3rd, '11, 06:08

I really dont know if I will have Jappanese greens this year. It is a pity, because sencha was an important part of my morning "ritual", it gives a nice morning kick, especially the fuka ones.
I am not worried to much about the health risk, but more about the customs. If I imagine the situation when an order is made, payed, then waiting (impatiently, as we all know) and finally the customs will decide that it can not be shipped into the country...it is just to scary :)
So, the strategy now is to wait 1-2 months, then if I finally decide to do an order I will contact before the customs and ask about the situation.

Apr 3rd, '11, 09:23
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Apr 3rd, '11, 09:23

USA, Canada, & Norway seem to be no problem. In fact, USA orders are flying through customs.

"Supposedly", small parcels to individuals are making it through to EU countries. I should be able to confirm that in a day or two. I'll believe it when I see it with regards to Italy, however.

One good thing about our move to Uji, our orders are making it into the USA about a day earlier than they were in Fukushima, excellent!

Apr 3rd, '11, 10:46

by Chip » Apr 3rd, '11, 10:46

Kevangogh wrote:One good thing about our move to Uji, our orders are making it into the USA about a day earlier than they were in Fukushima, excellent!
+1, order shipped 3/31 and arrived 4/2.
solitude wrote:I really dont know if I will have Jappanese greens this year. It is a pity, because sencha was an important part of my morning "ritual", it gives a nice morning kick, especially the fuka ones.
I am not worried to much about the health risk, but more about the customs. If I imagine the situation when an order is made, payed, then waiting (impatiently, as we all know) and finally the customs will decide that it can not be shipped into the country...it is just to scary :)
So, the strategy now is to wait 1-2 months, then if I finally decide to do an order I will contact before the customs and ask about the situation.
Bummer!!! Seems Italy is always a trouble spot for customs, etc. Hope it resolves for you soon Solitude. You need a TeaSmuggler ... :mrgreen:
Geekgirl wrote:I have to admit that I'm one of the irrationally fearful. I know (intellectually) that there is no risk, but I still just can't make myself pull the trigger on my latest order. :( And I know if I do make the purchases, they will sit in the cupboard because of my fears. Fear is not always logical. :?
That too is a bummer. :cry:
mlafranc wrote:I received my o-Cha order today -- 2 gyo and a Yutaka Midori LE. Shipped from Uji 3/30, reached Las Vegas 4/2. Went through Customs in a heartbeat. Yay, happy day!
When will gyokuro be served??? :mrgreen:

Apr 3rd, '11, 11:02

by solitude » Apr 3rd, '11, 11:02

Hi Chip
I ordered only once to Italy and I realized how bad is the Italian post since that I do my orders to Slovakia. Currently I work in Italy but I go home, to Slovakia, every 1-2 month so it is not a problem. Anyway, I will wait and follow the situation.
The tea smuggler idea is not bad, hehe. ciao

Apr 3rd, '11, 20:26

by JBaymore » Apr 3rd, '11, 20:26

"Testing of various food products from the prefectures surrounding the damaged reactors show that all of the food product samples from outside Fukushima prefecture display either no radioactivity or levels below regulatory limits. However, 25 samples from the Fukushima prefecture did exceed Japanese regulatory limits."

Source: http://mitnse.com/

(Bold and red type are mine.) -jb

Apr 4th, '11, 06:35

by olivierco » Apr 4th, '11, 06:35

Kevangogh wrote: "Supposedly", small parcels to individuals are making it through to EU countries. I should be able to confirm that in a day or two.!
No problem for France. Sent 3/29, received 4/4 standard mail.

Apr 4th, '11, 07:30

by David R. » Apr 4th, '11, 07:30

Cool ! 8)