I've done this many times. I don't bother to buy Thai oolongs when I can get superior Taiwanese products. I don't mean to sound snobbish, but Thai oolongs cannot stand up to good Taiwan oolongs.jayinhk wrote:Qi from roasting is debatable (I don't believe it), but I don't disagree that there's a lot of junk on the market. That's more to do with poor quality base material than roast, IMO. Seriously, try roasting some old Thai green oolong at different temperatures and then letting it rest. I think it would be a very interesting experimentTead Off wrote:It also imparts its qi, a quality that is sought after by connoisseurs. Roasting IS hard to do. There is a lot of junk in the market.jayinhk wrote:Heat is heat, but wood imparts a little flavor. Temperature is the most important factor, followed by length of roast, but temperature is by far the most important factor. Obviously they wanna make it sound like roasting is something hard to do, but roasting tea is much simpler than roasting coffee. Try it and see.
As for qi, it's a subject I rarely bring up as there are too many interpretations, so let's leave it at that. But taste is a different matter. IMO, charcoal roasting over fire is far superior to electronic roasting. The difference in taste is palpable. Electronic roasting is okay for refreshing a tea, but to roast a Wuyi or gaoshan electronically will not be close in flavor to a good charcoal roasted product. Heat is not heat. They are not all equal. Even gas would be preferable to electricity. You can taste differences in water and food that are heated by different sources. It's not the imagination. Of course, if you don't care or not able discern the difference, it doesn't matter. But your statements just don't ring true to this ear, or mouth.
