Jul 11th, '09, 16:25
Vendor Member

Re: 80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping

by TIM » Jul 11th, '09, 16:25

TokyoB wrote:
TIM wrote:
TokyoB wrote:I purchased this from Nada. The description was "80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping".
Congrats! I love SP. I want SP. I love and want old SP :D
TIM - thanks. Old SP are hard to beat! Do any of yours have a number stamped inside the lid?
no.... unfortunately. Some have names, some.... i have to ck :roll: ... some marked Shui Ping.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rNl5VRNLz_s/S ... 54d4_b.jpg

I love them because they are so honest and looks basic, but there is nothing basic about them. :wink:

Jul 11th, '09, 16:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 11th, '09, 16:32

Shui Ping refers to that shape? Babelcarp may not be exactly on the money for a change.

Tim, your teapots must be extra photogenic. They always appear in the most beautiful photos!

Jul 11th, '09, 16:44
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jul 11th, '09, 16:44

@Maitre_Tea: I think I saw that very pot online somewhere yesterday, now if only I could remember where :o

It's really pretty!

Jul 11th, '09, 16:49

by Victoria » Jul 11th, '09, 16:49

Maitre_Tea wrote:Speaking of which, what are the general usage rules regarding glazed vs unglazed tokoname?
Well just from my experience, Tokoname unglazed is fine and dense clay and really doesn't absorb much, but to be on the safe side never put in any flavored or scented teas. Those would be fine in the glazed. I would also do blacks and whites in the glazed. I have had no problem using my unglazed kyusu for greens and oolongs both, but others may disagree. I really feel with those two, you have your bases covered and could brew anything.
Tead Off wrote: Victoria, what does that feel like on your lips?
It is bumpy, but the bumps are smooth (and closer together than they appear).
So, it is different, but not in a bad way. It's rather nice. The shape of the bowl with the slight flare at the top is just the perfect shape. When I hold this bowl, I can feel history and tradition, I love it. It's simply a wonderful bowl.

Jul 11th, '09, 17:42

Re: 80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping

by wyardley » Jul 11th, '09, 17:42

betta wrote:
TokyoB wrote: Notice the number 6 on the inside of the lid. I think this indicates that this was once part of a set. I believe the bottom says "zhong guo yi xing" or China/Chinese Yixing.
Now I know why this little gem disappeared from Nada's site :wink:
I am by no means an expert in yixing pot, but I've read somewhere (I can't recall) that this number does not related to a set of pots. If I am not wrong, it is related to the manufacturing policy in the 60's or maybe 70's? (not sure which one). None of the pots made by government-run yixing factories during that time are allowed to bear the craftmen's signature. So at the bottom is the seal of zhong guo yixing and inside the lid is the number to indicate the specific craftman.
Others know it better than me.
I think sometimes the # under the lid indicates the size of the pot in a multi-pot set (I have a #3 and #5 pot from a set of 12). Sometimes it indicates the potter's # when the potter's own chop couldn't be used. I think potters could mostly use their own name during the 60s / 70s in the factories, but there was a period where they couldn't. Certainly the pots made in the late 60s / early 70s have the craftsperson's seal under the lid.

I have also heard that in some cases, the number under the lid indicates which factory the pot is from (though I don't think it's as simple as #2 = #2 factory). I'm not sure where I heard that - maybe from Tim.

So in short, I think the number under the lid could mean any of two or three possible things. Maybe someone who knows more could make an educated guess.

Jul 11th, '09, 19:26
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 11th, '09, 19:26

Salsero wrote:Shui Ping refers to that shape? Babelcarp may not be exactly on the money for a change.

Tim, your teapots must be extra photogenic. They always appear in the most beautiful photos!
Thanks for the kind words Sal. I am enjoying all yours too : )

Jul 11th, '09, 19:45

by wyardley » Jul 11th, '09, 19:45

Salsero wrote:Shui Ping refers to that shape? Babelcarp may not be exactly on the money for a change.
It usually refers to that shape in modern common usage, but originally, shui ping(水平)was stamped under the lid of pots (many of which do not have that shape), and referred to the quality of the pot (though the tops of the handle, tip of the spout and the opening of the pot should still be on the same plane). While it partially refers to the literal fact that the pot supposedly will sit level in water, I think "shui ping" also is an expression referring to something which meets a standard of excellence.

There's an interesting discussion that sort of explains how 'shui ping' and 'biao zhun' (标准) have become somewhat mixed up / interchangeable.

http://houdeblog.com/?p=11

Jul 11th, '09, 20:26

Japanese teapots

by TokyoB » Jul 11th, '09, 20:26

I also purchased some Japanese teapots lately. My excuse was that I decided I need/like smaller pots, even for Japanese teas. The Gyokko is 5 oz (160ml) and the small Tachi Masaki teapot is 5.4 oz. Toru-san at Artistic Nippon, who I purchased the small Masaki pot from, told me these small pots were designed for domestic Chinese market. On the Gyokko pot you can see the 2 different colors from the firing. Someone was asking if this was normal. It is for Gyokko.

Jul 11th, '09, 21:19

by Salsero » Jul 11th, '09, 21:19

wyardley wrote: It usually refers to that shape in modern common usage, but originally ...
Thanks, Will, for the helpful info. I saw that Hou De posting long ago but at that time apparently wasn't ready to understand much more of it than the water level photo.

Great kyuusu, TokyoB. You can't beat Artistic Nippon for nice Japanese stuff!

Jul 12th, '09, 08:17

by thomas » Jul 12th, '09, 08:17

Hi everyone,

Here's a nice place for a first post.

Zisha pot bought in Hong Kong

Another zisha, from Teamasters. I use this one for shu pu erh.

Duanni from Yunnan sourcing

Jul 12th, '09, 08:33

by clareandromeda » Jul 12th, '09, 08:33

ok so I finally took a few photos of my growing collection

first my kyusu and cups from o-cha

chawan from Cory Lum

Tiny banko kyusu by Mr. Masaki from artistic nippon

Cory Lum collection featuring HW the owl and his yet to be named brother modeling the latest in tea ball/matcha sifters.

Jul 12th, '09, 10:17

by Luthier » Jul 12th, '09, 10:17

seems like im into these style of pots now

Jul 12th, '09, 12:28

by twinofmunin » Jul 12th, '09, 12:28

clareandromeda, those owls are ridiculously cute!

Jul 12th, '09, 14:37

by clareandromeda » Jul 12th, '09, 14:37

Thanks...I dont drink saki but bought them on cuteness factor alone! I can't not smile when I look at them!

Jul 12th, '09, 15:11
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jul 12th, '09, 15:11

@clareandromeda: The owls look like they're WWI soldiers; "I say, Sgt Potter..."

*silly Monty Python accent*