cooked is overrated

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

User avatar
Nov 3rd 09 11:05 pm
Posts: 45
Joined: Nov 3rd 09 6:37 am
Location: Texas

Re: cooked is overrated

by cha-fu » Nov 3rd 09 11:05 pm

shogun89 wrote:Sippin some pretty damn fine 2003 7572 right now. Great flavor, very smooth and silky. Dont know how anyone could say this stuff sucks...
+1 as well, but I prefer 15+ years old shu. :D

Having early 1990s shu today. One of my wife's favorite. It's very good. :lol:

User avatar
Nov 3rd 09 11:56 pm
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

Re: cooked is overrated

by tenuki » Nov 3rd 09 11:56 pm

shogun89 wrote:Dont know how anyone could say this stuff sucks...
There's no accounting for taste. :)

Nov 9th 09 6:23 am
Posts: 504
Joined: Oct 8th 09 1:31 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: cooked is overrated

by bryan_drinks_tea » Nov 9th 09 6:23 am

We all have different opinions on what's good and what isn't. I'm aware that people have already said that, but perhaps...if we don't like a certain sheng or shu...maybe stating that we like it or dislike it for a few reasons would be better. just saying that "it sucks" is...well...ya know.

User avatar
Nov 9th 09 6:53 am
Posts: 62
Joined: Apr 23rd 09 4:57 pm
Location: SE Asia

Re: cooked is overrated

by Jedi » Nov 9th 09 6:53 am

7572 is a 'blend' of shu and sheng... 70:30

User avatar
Nov 9th 09 6:54 am
Posts: 62
Joined: Apr 23rd 09 4:57 pm
Location: SE Asia

Re: cooked is overrated

by Jedi » Nov 9th 09 6:54 am

and Oldmanteapot and Pgho and I drank some '70s shu a few nights ago.
Superior to some sheng's I believe.

User avatar
Nov 9th 09 3:48 pm
Posts: 544
Joined: Feb 27th 08 3:06 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: cooked is overrated

by silverneedles » Nov 9th 09 3:48 pm

keeping score
-1 +1 +1 -∞ +1 +2 -1 +1 +1

User avatar
Nov 9th 09 3:53 pm
Posts: 196
Joined: May 2nd 09 2:28 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: cooked is overrated

by oldmanteapot » Nov 9th 09 3:53 pm

silverneedles wrote:keeping score
-1 +1 +1 -∞ +1 +2 -1 +1 +1
Hi SN,

LOLz... you're funny... :D :D

Cheers buddy!

User avatar
Nov 9th 09 4:38 pm
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 28th 08 3:42 pm
Location: The first State (DE)

Re: cooked is overrated

by nonc_ron » Nov 9th 09 4:38 pm

silverneedles wrote:keeping score
-1 +1 +1 -∞ +1 +2 -1 +1 +1
Now that you have me thinking about it.Image
I'm going to dig one out. (it was good the last time I sampled it)
Last edited by nonc_ron on Nov 9th 09 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Nov 9th 09 8:09 pm
Posts: 434
Joined: Apr 1st 08 1:46 am

Re: cooked is overrated

by thanks » Nov 9th 09 8:09 pm

Jedi wrote:7572 is a 'blend' of shu and sheng... 70:30
Do you mean the 7581? I've never heard that 7572 contained sheng.

User avatar
Nov 9th 09 10:48 pm
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd 08 9:07 pm
Location: The Isle of Malta

Re: cooked is overrated

by tony shlongini » Nov 9th 09 10:48 pm

silverneedles wrote:keeping score
-1 +1 +1 -∞ +1 +2 -1 +1 +1

That leaves the totat at -∞ . :lol:

User avatar
Nov 10th 09 12:40 am
Posts: 2228
Joined: Jul 22nd 09 2:55 pm
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: cooked is overrated

by AdamMY » Nov 10th 09 12:40 am

+|S(X)| where X is the set of irrational numbers and S(X) denotes the set of all subsets of the set X.


I believe this takes it to +∞ though there are larger sets, and I'll concede should someone come up with one with a larger cardinality. As I believe this one is uncountably uncountably infinite.

User avatar
Nov 10th 09 3:09 pm
Posts: 196
Joined: May 2nd 09 2:28 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: cooked is overrated

by oldmanteapot » Nov 10th 09 3:09 pm

AdamMY wrote:+|S(X)| where X is the set of irrational numbers and S(X) denotes the set of all subsets of the set X.


I believe this takes it to +∞ though there are larger sets, and I'll concede should someone come up with one with a larger cardinality. As I believe this one is uncountably uncountably infinite.
Yes Prof Epps.. ehehe... but I think the numbers we can crunch and remember are recipe numbers and years.... ahahahaha... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Nov 10th 09 4:41 pm
Posts: 62
Joined: Apr 23rd 09 4:57 pm
Location: SE Asia

Re: cooked is overrated

by Jedi » Nov 10th 09 4:41 pm

[quote="thanks"][quote="Jedi"]7572 is a 'blend' of shu and sheng... 70:30[/quote]

Do you mean the 7581? I've never heard that 7572 contained sheng.[/quote]

I have a beeng of this dating back to the late 80's. It's definitely a mix going by the leaves and flavour profile. The mild fragrance of aged sheng leaves and malty combination is quite unique, along with medicinal traces, and the colouration of the broth as well.

Our suspicions were confirmed when we checked the leaves.

Time to brew this one again... soon.

User avatar
Nov 11th 09 1:52 am
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 28th 08 3:42 pm
Location: The first State (DE)

Re: cooked is overrated

by nonc_ron » Nov 11th 09 1:52 am

I had to try Scott's new Web Store.
Its kinda like Amazon.com when you buy something it shows up at the top
right. and keeps a running total of cakes, price and shipping.

I bought these to try.
2007 Menghai Tea Factory * 7572 * 701 Ripe Pu-erh Tea cake $19.35
2008 Menghai Tea Factory * 7572 * 801 Ripe Pu-erh Tea cake $13.95
2009 Menghai 7572 * 901 Recipe Ripe Pu-erh tea cake 357g $11.70

Here is Scott's description:
A classic recipe from Menghai, this is the first production of 2009 (901). This is an average blend of 5th grade material that was fermented last year, so the cake does not have that just fermented taste, rather it has already mellowed a bit. Another 6 months to a year down the road and it will make even more improvements in taste and liquor clarity. When brewed this cake will taste a little sweet and lighter than the creamy 7262.

Nov 27th 09 12:12 am
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 25th 08 3:03 am

Re: cooked is overrated

by edkrueger » Nov 27th 09 12:12 am

shogun89 wrote:Well, we all have our opinions. But i have had some darn nice shu's. My 2003 CNNP 7581 brick is just great. Wish I had bought more...
I like 7581, but it is a mixed cake.