bugs in tea

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 19th, '10, 00:20

Re: bugs in tea

by Poohblah » Jun 19th, '10, 00:20

Mmmmm. I love a little extra protein in my pu.

Jun 19th, '10, 09:51

by betta » Jun 19th, '10, 09:51

Poohblah wrote:Mmmmm. I love a little extra protein in my pu.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To me, one should concern more about their "decomposition product" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I was told by a nutritionist that even the flesh of fruit is edible, doesn't mean the seed inside is edible, too. There're edible fruit whose seeds are poisonous.
So I really hope the decomposition product of the insects are fine to consume, at least in small amount.

Jun 19th, '10, 13:49

by shogun89 » Jun 19th, '10, 13:49

I hada cricket get in my tetsubin before, didnt know he was in there when i went to preheat it. that was one hell of a bad odor.... are'nt crickets good luck in China??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jun 19th, '10, 22:18

by Dresden » Jun 19th, '10, 22:18

shogun89 wrote: are'nt crickets good luck in China??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know if they are good luck, but I can tell you that they are pretty tasty if prepared right!

Jun 26th, '10, 18:13

by drumhum » Jun 26th, '10, 18:13

Happy in tea.jpg
Happy in tea.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 706 times
Here's my tea chum. I found a little family in a recently purchased (expensive) aging cake. Not a pleasant discovery. I believe them to be "silver fish". They love paper but I'm not sure how much they like tea. It could be they live in the tea just to eat the wrapper! But who knows. My cake did seem rather loose and unkempt - suggesting bug damage.

Luckily I discovered the bugs as soon as I opened the cake, before they had chance to migrate to my tea collection. Personally I'd try and and keep any form of infestation out of my tea at all costs.

And no, I'm not saying where this tea came from. I know this to be a one-off, the vendor tea is usually second to non in quality. The Vendor was horrified to learn about this.

Moral - check your teas, especially ones that have had some years on them!

+ Post Reply