Matcha nausea??!!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 9th, '10, 23:57

Re: Matcha nausea??!!

by Tead Off » Sep 9th, '10, 23:57

Tea4Todd wrote:Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's because I have had matcha on an empty stomach before, but my few experiences with matcha have left me with a horrible stomach ache and very nauseous. I was wondering if anyone else other than me has experienced this before? Are there incorrect ways to make matcha that could contribute to someone feeling nauseous?
The 1st 2 times I tried matcha I got nauseous. Both times were without food. I've never experienced this after those 2 times. Matcha is usually drunk with something sweet. This counters the effect on the stomach. Many Chinese medicine people think green teas are particularly difficult on the stomach and advise to drink oolongs and particularly Puerh. Coffee is the same. Long term effects of coffee drinking have taken a toll on many stomachs this is why it is common even for western doctors to advise not drinking it, or, doing it in moderation. Listen to your body, it is more intelligent than your mind! :D

Sep 10th, '10, 13:28

by TwoPynts » Sep 10th, '10, 13:28

I definitely think it is a combination of factors, but it looks like it occurs mostly with a strong, high-tannin tea on an empty stomach. My first experience with Matcha was a OD, I mixed in way too much powerd and it was on an empty stomach (and after drinking other tea). I was nauseated and tweeked for hours. I always have something to eat before I drink it now and use less -- much better.
:roll:

Sep 10th, '10, 15:41

by Tea4Todd » Sep 10th, '10, 15:41

Kunkali wrote:Tea will increase acid production which is why it's said to be a good digestive aid. If you want to drink tea in the morning but don't want to eat a meal just take a little protein with it like a few bites of yogurt or some cheese...it'll act as a buffer.

Good advice, I wonder if it'll work with matcha too, not that I ever drink matcha, but I would like to try again.

Sep 10th, '10, 15:45

by Tea4Todd » Sep 10th, '10, 15:45

entropyembrace wrote:i have this problem with most teas...sencha is actually one of the worst for me...i just make sure to eat something with or before i drink tea. I did have matcha with no food once and was ok even i have issues drinking most other teas on an empty stomach

Hmm, interesting that it's not just me that has had this problem. I've had sencha at most of the Japanese restaurants here, and it's almost always with sushi or some sort of food, so I've never noticed other green tea stomach issues. Only matcha, maybe I should give matcha another shot, and eat some food with it.

Sep 10th, '10, 15:46

by Tea4Todd » Sep 10th, '10, 15:46

Tead Off wrote: The 1st 2 times I tried matcha I got nauseous. Both times were without food. I've never experienced this after those 2 times. Matcha is usually drunk with something sweet. This counters the effect on the stomach. Many Chinese medicine people think green teas are particularly difficult on the stomach and advise to drink oolongs and particularly Puerh. Coffee is the same. Long term effects of coffee drinking have taken a toll on many stomachs this is why it is common even for western doctors to advise not drinking it, or, doing it in moderation. Listen to your body, it is more intelligent than your mind! :D

Oolong is my favorite and I've not had a problem with that except for the day when I think I just brewed it way too strong. I still have no experience with Pu-Er maybe I'll try some. I have some left over from when I lived in Oregon.
Last edited by Tea4Todd on Sep 10th, '10, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 10th, '10, 15:47

by Tea4Todd » Sep 10th, '10, 15:47

TwoPynts wrote:I definitely think it is a combination of factors, but it looks like it occurs mostly with a strong, high-tannin tea on an empty stomach. My first experience with Matcha was a OD, I mixed in way too much powerd and it was on an empty stomach (and after drinking other tea). I was nauseated and tweeked for hours. I always have something to eat before I drink it now and use less -- much better.
:roll:

That's what I did, I think it was just a really bad matcha:water ratio. I really didn't like the nauseated feeling.

Sep 10th, '10, 18:23

by Kunkali » Sep 10th, '10, 18:23

I'm thinking...maybe eating actual tea leaves isn't as natural for our bodies as drinking the liqueur from the tea leaves. Just because a few health related sites say it's better than drinking just the liquid doesn't mean it's true.

Sep 10th, '10, 18:52

by Tea4Todd » Sep 10th, '10, 18:52

I agree Kun, although, I do like chocolate with tea leaves mixed in. I think that the tea leaves may perhaps be a bit too harsh for our stomachs to digest properly.

Sep 10th, '10, 19:39

by AdamMY » Sep 10th, '10, 19:39

Tea4Todd wrote: I think that the tea leaves may perhaps be a bit too harsh for our stomachs to digest properly.
I think you need to define the set "our." As for quite some time the only way tea was made was rather like matcha, though quite possibly tasted a lot worse, or at least drastically different due to roasting, grinding, then adding to boiling water, with perhaps other stuff.

Not to mention the fact that its quite common to have food prepared with tea leaves, or after a good session of gyokuro to have someone make a gyokuro salad so to speak or include the spend Gyo leaves in with other food.

I am sure it would not have become such a popular thing to do if too many people noticed a great deal of negative consequences.

Sep 10th, '10, 19:45

by Tea4Todd » Sep 10th, '10, 19:45

AdamMY wrote: I think you need to define the set "our."
Maybe it's just my stomach then :/

I do know that in Japan they eat a lot of food with tea leaves...Ochazuke for instance..maybe I am just sensitive to the tea leaves.

Sep 10th, '10, 20:04

by entropyembrace » Sep 10th, '10, 20:04

And here I find matcha easier on my stomach than most other teas. :lol:

Sep 10th, '10, 20:08

by Tea4Todd » Sep 10th, '10, 20:08

entropyembrace wrote:And here I find matcha easier on my stomach than most other teas. :lol:
Maybe I just had a bad experience, it was a few years ago. Perhaps it wasn't prepared properly? Who knows, all I know is that it did not suit my stomach well at all.

Sep 12th, '10, 12:21

by tortoise » Sep 12th, '10, 12:21

Tea4Todd wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:And here I find matcha easier on my stomach than most other teas. :lol:
Maybe I just had a bad experience, it was a few years ago. Perhaps it wasn't prepared properly? Who knows, all I know is that it did not suit my stomach well at all.
This has happened to me a few times. It's almost always related to empty stomach, first thing in the morning. Some mornings my stomach is more sensitive than others and I'm not sure why. I will say that, in my opinion, matcha is awful to drink if you have a hangover :cry: .

Nov 12th, '10, 02:22

by suzriordan » Nov 12th, '10, 02:22

I first tried Matcha with steamed soy milk at the health food store and loved it. But then I bought some and drank it (probably too strong) first thing in the morning on an empty and got seriously nauseous--on two different occasions.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having had this experience!

Nov 12th, '10, 04:06

by solitude » Nov 12th, '10, 04:06

As many of you mentioned the drinking of tea on empty stomach causes problems. I had the same experience. My first green tea was sencha and I used to drink it at the morning on empty stomach in order to "kick off" my metabolism, however the result was nausea and stomach ache later even gallbladder problems. Since this experience, I drink tea always after meal, even at the evening.

+ Post Reply