What replacement would you suggest for matcha whisk?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
Jan 11th, '11, 14:46
Posts: 45
Joined: Dec 25th, '10, 23:21

Re: What replacement would you suggest for matcha whisk?

by eugene_b » Jan 11th, '11, 14:46

Yeah, I am going to play with different brewing techniques but I am not very positive of success. I don't know how to describe this taste but even though the two teas are different, they both have some similar notes in the background that I almost physically can't stand. If judging objectively, the tastes are very complex, original and sweet, but I guess I just happened not to like these ones.

The things I ordered were Organic Matcha and Gyokuro Premium from hibiki-an. As far as I can tell the products are great: the packaging was awesome and teas are very greenish with strong milky aroma (it's not exactly milky but that's the closest aroma I would compare it to).

In several months, after I recover from this traumatizing experience, I'll try to buy some sencha :)

User avatar
Jan 11th, '11, 15:30
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What replacement would you suggest for matcha whisk?

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 15:30

eugene_b wrote:Yeah, I am going to play with different brewing techniques but I am not very positive of success. I don't know how to describe this taste but even though the two teas are different, they both have some similar notes in the background that I almost physically can't stand. If judging objectively, the tastes are very complex, original and sweet, but I guess I just happened not to like these ones.

The things I ordered were Organic Matcha and Gyokuro Premium from hibiki-an. As far as I can tell the products are great: the packaging was awesome and teas are very greenish with strong milky aroma (it's not exactly milky but that's the closest aroma I would compare it to).

In several months, after I recover from this traumatizing experience, I'll try to buy some sencha :)
What temp did you brew the gyo at?

User avatar
Jan 11th, '11, 15:47
Posts: 45
Joined: Dec 25th, '10, 23:21

Re: What replacement would you suggest for matcha whisk?

by eugene_b » Jan 11th, '11, 15:47

I think it was 70-60C. To be honest my temperature measurements are pretty much empirical, I've never had a thermometer to back them up :)
As for today 60-70C per my definition is the temperature when I can hold finger in it and it's pretty uncomfortable and hot but not hot enough to make any real damage. 80C is when I can put finger but the heat makes me remove it after one-two seconds, 90C is something that I can touch but have to immediately remove the finger from this water.
I hope such super scientific ways of measuring temperature produce good enough results :D I got them from measuring the bitterness of dragon well tea )))

The other params I used were 3 full tea spoons of tea, 200ml of water, 1.5 mins. Actually now I think that I might have made it too strong, I guess I'll try with 1.5 or 2 tea spoons.

Jan 11th, '11, 17:16

Re: What replacement would you suggest for matcha whisk?

by Fredrik » Jan 11th, '11, 17:16

I dont think that's too strong, Ippodo recommends 10g (2 heaping tablespoons) for 80 ml. But I don't really like Gyokuro I'm more of a Sencha and Matcha person.