Weekend TeaDays 2/5-6/11 Serendipity?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The closing of SpecialTeas reminded me of a discovery in my TeaJourney. Did you discover your fave type of tea through a lot of purposeful trials or was is a serendipitous happening? Please share!

A lot of trials/tastings led to "X" tea becoming my fave
27%
A little bit of trials and tasting, but also a bit of chance
45%
Serendipity played the major role in the discovery of my fave type of tea
27%

Total votes: 22

Feb 6th, '11, 13:17
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Weekend TeaDays 2/5-6/11 Serendipity?

by Chip » Feb 6th, '11, 13:17

AdamMY wrote:The photo is actually called Serendipitea which is why I shared it, but I was playing with settings on my camera and snapped this slightly out of focus shot, but my hand half obscured the flash giving it more of an appearance of being stuck in a beam of light.
Thanks for this serendipitious coloring of our TeaDay, sweet shot Adam!

Thanks for the momiji/Hagi/sencha collage debunix. How are you liking this kyusu by now?

Reminds me, needz to get the TD Contest tally together and posted. :twisted:

Feb 6th, '11, 13:26

by debunix » Feb 6th, '11, 13:26

Chip wrote:Thanks for the momiji/Hagi/sencha collage debunix. How are you liking this kyusu by now?
I adore this little kyusu. It is 5 oz, a lovely size for a a warming morning sencha, has a nice easy-clean sasame filter, and the gorgeous shape and the simple leaf pattern make me as happy now as when I first unwrapped it.

Feb 6th, '11, 14:03

by DoctorD » Feb 6th, '11, 14:03

I've tried/tasted my way pretty systematically through just about every type of tea I can think of. My tasting notebooks, when I've bothered to keep them, are full of lists of things to try and strategies for comparisons. And I guess this approach has managed to produce a fave, or five. But two caveats. One is that the sweet spot keeps changing. Darjeeling used to rule, and it's now been years since I've had any in the house. The other is that all the obsessive-compulsive list-making still allows room for serendipity. Yesterday I sampled a new garden-variety Zhejiang product (not Longjing or gunpowder) that I had added to a recent order of "planned" teas mostly on a whim, to make up numbers, and it blew the lid off my proverbial gaiwan. So I've suddenly got a new fave--until the next batch of Taiwanese oolongs arrives and/or shincha season comes round again.

Feb 6th, '11, 15:48

by AdamMY » Feb 6th, '11, 15:48

Moved onto a Green tea, O-Cha's 7132 infact.

Feb 6th, '11, 18:07

by Chip » Feb 6th, '11, 18:07

Shuweet Adam! The tea, the cups, the photo!

Began the TD with Kiwame from Zencha with the Mrs. ... next up Musashi from O-Cha.

Feb 6th, '11, 20:17

by Chip » Feb 6th, '11, 20:17

debunix wrote:
Chip wrote:Thanks for the momiji/Hagi/sencha collage debunix. How are you liking this kyusu by now?
I adore this little kyusu. It is 5 oz, a lovely size for a a warming morning sencha, has a nice easy-clean sasame filter, and the gorgeous shape and the simple leaf pattern make me as happy now as when I first unwrapped it.
Oh, I did not remember it being that small. What tokoname page is that on?

Glad it continues to please!

Finishing the TD with TGY from Chinese-Tea-Culture.com

Feb 6th, '11, 20:56

by debunix » Feb 6th, '11, 20:56

Pot 989 on p 46.

Feb 6th, '11, 23:17

by nickE » Feb 6th, '11, 23:17

Today I had some more Yancha, getting pretty low. Next up was a free sample of American Hao 0909.

Feb 7th, '11, 08:06
Scrolling: fixed

by el gringo » Feb 7th, '11, 08:06

My first foray into loose leaf tea was through the Jingteas explorer, which has a 10g sample of each of the main types of tea. From that I realised that I liked oolongs more than most so my next purchase was their oolong explorer, I now know that I really like their Oriental Beauty and I like a nice TGY as well.

Although, on another order I just picked up some sencha from them to see what all the fuss is about and realised that I really like it. This was far more random that my initial foray into tea and might be costly seeing as I've become addicted to looking at kyusu on the internet!

Feb 7th, '11, 11:40

by brad4419 » Feb 7th, '11, 11:40

Thanks for the pics everyone!

I'm a bit late for the weekend but I will share anyway.

My favorite type of tea is wuyi/yancha and discovering this was full of accidents.

First of all, I had never even tried an oolong before and had decided to wait another year before venturing into oolongs because I was so deeply into Chinese greens at the time. Rishiteas had other plans :D , I ordered several black tins from Rishi, 10, I think but they messed up my order and only sent me 5. When I asked them about it they quickly realized their mistake and sent me 5 more tins and threw in a sample of bao zhong for my troubles. This is where it begins. I liked the tea so much that I decided to forget about holding off on trying oolongs and ordered the taiwanese high mountain sampler from floatingleaves. In the last second I threw in a sample of their wuyi. Needless to say I loved this tea so much I began researching wuyi and it all went crazy from there.
So if rishi hadn't screwed up my order I probably wouldn't have tried oolongs for another year+. I should also mention that rishi has great customer service and quickly and easily fixed the mistake.