Korean green tea... not quite green?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
Jul 4th 11 4:42 am
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mar 23rd 08 2:26 am
Location: Yixing

Re: Korean green tea... not quite green?

by chrl42 » Jul 4th 11 4:42 am

I'd recommend Ujeon (pre-rainy season, equivalent to Chinese Ming Qian or Japanese Shincha)..for Korean green, but there's this dilemma, there are not cheap!

well..it's not the tea leaves themselves, but pesticide or effort used to make it. Bosung and Hadong are 2 main provinces for tea, nowadays Jaeju island and Gangwondo also started gain a fame..

Korean greens follow stir-frying tradition like that of China's, the Koreans have been drinking green as long as 1000-years, but recent set-up for producing is made not over 100-years.

There are also great Korean herb teas like I-sul Cha(mountain dew), Bbong-ip Cha (mulberry leaf), Gam-ip Cha (persimmon leaf)..they are all quite good!

User avatar
Jul 4th 11 10:45 am
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Korean green tea... not quite green?

by Tead Off » Jul 4th 11 10:45 am

chrl42 wrote:I'd recommend Ujeon (pre-rainy season, equivalent to Chinese Ming Qian or Japanese Shincha)..for Korean green, but there's this dilemma, there are not cheap!

well..it's not the tea leaves themselves, but pesticide or effort used to make it. Bosung and Hadong are 2 main provinces for tea, nowadays Jaeju island and Gangwondo also started gain a fame..

Korean greens follow stir-frying tradition like that of China's, the Koreans have been drinking green as long as 1000-years, but recent set-up for producing is made not over 100-years.

There are also great Korean herb teas like I-sul Cha(mountain dew), Bbong-ip Cha (mulberry leaf), Gam-ip Cha (persimmon leaf)..they are all quite good!
You're making my mouth water. Why do Koreans laugh when I say bong cha? My friends laugh hysterically when they hear me ask for this.

User avatar
Jul 4th 11 2:53 pm
Posts: 644
Joined: Jan 10th 10 12:38 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Korean green tea... not quite green?

by sherubtse » Jul 4th 11 2:53 pm

Interestingly, Dao Tea sells some nice-looking teas from China as well as from S. Korea. One, an inexpensive sheng, caught my eye.

Has anyone tried their Chinese teas?

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar
Jul 5th 11 3:02 am
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mar 23rd 08 2:26 am
Location: Yixing

Re: Korean green tea... not quite green?

by chrl42 » Jul 5th 11 3:02 am

Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:I'd recommend Ujeon (pre-rainy season, equivalent to Chinese Ming Qian or Japanese Shincha)..for Korean green, but there's this dilemma, there are not cheap!

well..it's not the tea leaves themselves, but pesticide or effort used to make it. Bosung and Hadong are 2 main provinces for tea, nowadays Jaeju island and Gangwondo also started gain a fame..

Korean greens follow stir-frying tradition like that of China's, the Koreans have been drinking green as long as 1000-years, but recent set-up for producing is made not over 100-years.

There are also great Korean herb teas like I-sul Cha(mountain dew), Bbong-ip Cha (mulberry leaf), Gam-ip Cha (persimmon leaf)..they are all quite good!
You're making my mouth water. Why do Koreans laugh when I say bong cha? My friends laugh hysterically when they hear me ask for this.
Koreans say 'bbong', it has a stronger accent than 'bong', I noticed such pronunciations are rare in mandarin and english..maybe often in spanish and tagalog...sometimes it hears like 'farting' :oops:

User avatar
Jul 5th 11 9:27 am
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Korean green tea... not quite green?

by Tead Off » Jul 5th 11 9:27 am

That explains it!!

Jul 12th 11 12:21 am
Posts: 124
Joined: Jun 30th 09 10:15 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Korean green tea... not quite green?

by verus » Jul 12th 11 12:21 am

I'd like to try a Korean green tea.

Does anyone have experience with the Korean green from Postcardteas? This one, or this one?

User avatar
Jul 12th 11 1:10 am
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Korean green tea... not quite green?

by Tead Off » Jul 12th 11 1:10 am

verus wrote:I'd like to try a Korean green tea.

Does anyone have experience with the Korean green from Postcardteas? This one, or this one?
They sell good teas but you need to find out if they are selling fresh tea and not last year's crop.

At this point, I would recommend Dao Teas who are actively involved with the Korean tea farmers directly and have fresh teas.