Mar 5th, '12, 10:04

Re: My first Yixing teapot

by armin » Mar 5th, '12, 10:04

Yeah... I thought in the regular glazes they use oxides... I know for sure in the cosmetic business there are oxides approved to be used in organic products...
After firing and processing those oxides are still getting into your tea?

Mar 5th, '12, 10:56

by chrl42 » Mar 5th, '12, 10:56

I remember john on Teachat who himself is a potter said, firing itself doesn't prove to make oxides any safer. I didn't have scientific infos to oppose that theory. Myself however have had experience of feelin dizzy after using blue (cobalt oxide) colored pot, I dunno I had becuz of that.

There are discussions about harmness of oxides, some say yes some say no, I didn't concentrate much since myself doesn't prefer oxide-added clays for athetic reasons, they are not seasoned fast. :lol:

Mar 5th, '12, 21:52

by tingjunkie » Mar 5th, '12, 21:52

Rather than sweat whether or not a pot has oxides added, I let my nose and throat be the judge. You simply pour boiling water in the pot and let it sit for a minute or two. Pour the water from the pot into a neutral cup (porcelain is best IMO), and then water directly from the kettle into an identical cup. Taste test the two waters and compare. In my experience, if a pot has bad stuff going on, you can smell something unnatural/chemical it in the heated pot. More importantly, drinking water from a bad pot will taste slightly unpleasant and give you an uncomfortable scratchy throat.

Sadly, this doesn't help online shoppers too much. :(

Mar 6th, '12, 18:07

by bagua7 » Mar 6th, '12, 18:07

chrl42 wrote:how to avoid yixing teapot with chemicals..

avoid green, blue, black or strong red-colored yixings or what they call pin zini (in today's stance)
Thanks for the info, as usual. :)

Yes I have experience with Pin Zini pots. Careful with these. I can't bear the plastic-like smell when you boil the pot with hot water or add hot water to the pot. Three pots destroyed (money was refunded in all instances though), so no more pin zini for me from online sources.

How about yellow? Duan Ni can be also a tricky clay. I also destroyed a fake duan ni in the past that was mixed with white cement (to address the economist's question). No refund was given since the pot was dirty cheap, which is impossible for a real duan ni pot.

Mar 7th, '12, 00:17

by tingjunkie » Mar 7th, '12, 00:17

How many pots have you destroyed Bagua? What's your favorite method for doing it?

Mar 7th, '12, 00:22
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Mar 7th, '12, 00:22

I am also curious about the destruction of the pots.

Mar 9th, '12, 00:27

by Tead Off » Mar 9th, '12, 00:27

tingjunkie wrote:How many pots have you destroyed Bagua? What's your favorite method for doing it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mar 9th, '12, 13:13
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 9th, '12, 13:13

bagua7 wrote:

avoid green, blue, black or strong red-colored yixings or what they call pin zini (in today's stance)

Yes I have experience with Pin Zini pots. Careful with these. I can't bear the plastic-like smell when you boil the pot with hot water or add hot water to the pot. Three pots destroyed (money was refunded in all instances though), so no more pin zini for me from online sources.

How about yellow? Duan Ni can be also a tricky clay. I also destroyed a fake duan ni in the past that was mixed with white cement (to address the economist's question). No refund was given since the pot was dirty cheap, which is impossible for a real duan ni pot.
I always thought pin zi ni (mixed clay) simply means a proportional mixture of purple, red and/or duanni clay. I didn't think there was anything wrong with that term. But if that's what many people think of pin zi ni, it's good to know and I'd better find some other term in English writing to describe "mixture of various clay". Any suggestions?

Mar 9th, '12, 13:55
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 9th, '12, 13:55

gingkoseto wrote:
bagua7 wrote:

I always thought pin zi ni (mixed clay) simply means a proportional mixture of purple, red and/or duanni clay. I didn't think there was anything wrong with that term. But if that's what many people think of pin zi ni, it's good to know and I'd better find some other term in English writing to describe "mixture of various clay". Any suggestions?
The term Pin zi ni or Te Sha (mixed sand) are proper, but not just limited to purple, red or duan ni or sha. What people in the West think of these term are far misinformed as of "Dry Storage" puerh: http://www.marshaln.com/2012/03/ideas-o ... h-storage/. My suggestion is to stick with the original and correct our misunderstanding of the idea.

Mar 9th, '12, 15:19

by bagua7 » Mar 9th, '12, 15:19

tingjunkie wrote:How many pots have you destroyed Bagua? What's your favorite method for doing it?
Let me see:

1. Two duan ni (no refund asked as they were purchased cheap on eBay).
2. Three zi ni pots (one of them pin zi ni). Refund was asked and given.

How about you?

Mar 9th, '12, 15:44
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 9th, '12, 15:44

TIM wrote: The term Pin zi ni or Te Sha (mixed sand) are proper, but not just limited to purple, red or duan ni or sha. What people in the West think of these term are far misinformed as of "Dry Storage" puerh: http://www.marshaln.com/2012/03/ideas-o ... h-storage/. My suggestion is to stick with the original and correct our misunderstanding of the idea.
Indeed it's quite interesting that people use the same term with different understanding, and sometimes two people may think they talk about the same thing yet those are two different things. Now one discussion leads to another - I always thought red, purple and duanni clays are the 3 basic types of yixing, and if a clay is none of the above nor mixture of the above (that's my definition of pin zi ni, as what I've seen being used commonly in China), then it's not legitimate/authentic yixing (with exception of some commonly thought-to-be legitimate coloring materials as used by some famous guys). I would be surprised if other people's definition and categorization of yixing clays are very different from mine, but if there are discrepancies, it's always good to know. :D

Mar 9th, '12, 16:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Mar 9th, '12, 16:04

Most people are willing to write off their tuition paid on cheap ebay teapots and quietly go about their business.
To new folks reading this forum, I hope you are not discouraged by all the sour grapes being tossed around here.
Keep posting your pots even if they are not the greatest, there is always an opportunity to learn something even if you have been collecting for years.
Thanks for playing! :P

Mar 9th, '12, 16:12
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 9th, '12, 16:12

gingkoseto wrote:
TIM wrote: The term Pin zi ni or Te Sha (mixed sand) are proper, but not just limited to purple, red or duan ni or sha. What people in the West think of these term are far misinformed as of "Dry Storage" puerh: http://www.marshaln.com/2012/03/ideas-o ... h-storage/. My suggestion is to stick with the original and correct our misunderstanding of the idea.
Indeed it's quite interesting that people use the same term with different understanding, and sometimes two people may think they talk about the same thing yet those are two different things. Now one discussion leads to another - I always thought red, purple and duanni clays are the 3 basic types of yixing, and if a clay is none of the above nor mixture of the above (that's my definition of pin zi ni, as what I've seen being used commonly in China), then it's not legitimate/authentic yixing (with exception of some commonly thought-to-be legitimate coloring materials as used by some famous guys). I would be surprised if other people's definition and categorization of yixing clays are very different from mine, but if there are discrepancies, it's always good to know. :D
There are 5 main color clay. Before they call it Yixing Zisha, it was called 5 color earth or Prosperity earth.

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... -mine.html

Mar 9th, '12, 16:26
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 9th, '12, 16:26

bagua7 wrote:
Let me see:

1. Two duan ni (no refund asked as they were purchased cheap on eBay).
2. Three zi ni pots (one of them pin zi ni). Refund was asked and given.

How about you?
Interesting to show how you select your yixings, by destroying them. How many yixing pot still standing in your selection? Just curious :roll:

Please stop buying yakkie chemical pots B7. As to quote from your own quote:

"See, now you have to spend extra money when you could have done the right thing from the beginning."
Last edited by TIM on Mar 9th, '12, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 9th, '12, 16:31
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 9th, '12, 16:31

TIM wrote:
There are 5 main color clay. Before they call it Yixing Zisha, it was called 5 color earth or Prosperity earth.

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... -mine.html
I guess we have different understanding on "5 color earth" too. It's a cultural term used not only in zisha but other places, and my understanding of "5 color" in zisha is "many color" instead of literally 5 colors, referring to the many color shades of yixing products. My understanding of "5 color earth" out of the field of yixing is "all the earth of all the colors in the world".

+ Post Reply