No
90%
Other (specify in comment)
5%

Total votes: 20

Jun 26th, '15, 17:21

Re: Make a forum for jixing

by pedant » Jun 26th, '15, 17:21

Evan Draper wrote:<ahem> American Tea Ceremony (all rights reserved)

Jun 26th, '15, 17:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 26th, '15, 17:37

?

Jun 26th, '15, 18:08

by Evan Draper » Jun 26th, '15, 18:08

Not what I was alluding to but hats off to you sir! :lol:

Jun 26th, '15, 18:52

by Fuut » Jun 26th, '15, 18:52

Completely off topic now,

Boat on the tracks train on the water.

Jun 26th, '15, 18:55

by William » Jun 26th, '15, 18:55

Evan Draper wrote:But the database manager in me thinks teaware categorization by nationality is too porous. Take tetsubin: Japanese in origin but coopted by Taiwanese "gongfu synthesizers" and replicated in China. Are tetsubin care tips from a gongfu practitioner irrelevant to a chanoyu practitioner or an <ahem> American Tea Ceremony (all rights reserved) practitioner?
Good point, but after some researches I found the term "tetsubin" to be used mostly with reference to Japanese wares.

Jun 26th, '15, 19:28

by thirst » Jun 26th, '15, 19:28

Isn’t this just your bias showing? You not even misspell Yixing, you also call one thing »stuff« and the other thing »crafts«. Can I also get a forum that’s tailored to my specific interests without topics that I regard as spammy? :lol:

Jun 26th, '15, 19:57

by pedant » Jun 26th, '15, 19:57

Fuut,

sorry for continuing to drag your thread off-topic, but i'm actually wondering now about your preference for your alternative romanization of 宜兴. a few quick google searches confirm my suspicion that 'yixing' is the commonly accepted romanization as judged by number of search results -- winning by well over an order of magnitude in all of my tests.

do you prefer 'jixing' for aesthetic reasons, or is there some more pedantic reason?

me, personally... i can't abide spelling houhin with a "b", but maybe that should be a topic for another (sub)forum :lol:

Jun 27th, '15, 10:47

by JBaymore » Jun 27th, '15, 10:47

Evan Draper wrote:............. or an <ahem> American Tea Ceremony (all rights reserved) practitioner?
That traditional practice involves small porous cloth bags with strings and paper tabs, doesn't it? :wink:

best,

................john

Jun 27th, '15, 10:58

by kyarazen » Jun 27th, '15, 10:58

JBaymore wrote:
Evan Draper wrote:............. or an <ahem> American Tea Ceremony (all rights reserved) practitioner?
That traditional practice involves small porous cloth bags with strings and paper tabs, doesn't it? :wink:

best,

................john
apparently in a taiwanese book on tea brewing in the end 80s to early 90s there is a page fully dedicated to the "method" of using a teabag.. 8) :D

teabag kungfooo~~

Jun 27th, '15, 14:08

Make a forum for jixing

by mcrdotcom » Jun 27th, '15, 14:08

Yixing teaware is a subject that dominates a lot of the topics of discussion in the tea world and on this site, so I can't see any reason why this is a bad suggestion really. I like the idea of having Chinese, Japanese and Korean sub-forums followed by a "rest of the world" one, because some people have specific interests. But I'm equally ok with it the way it is now!

Just to add: I certainly don't find the term "stuff" as a dismissive term considering it's more than just pots made from clay, and I think that is all Fuut was eluding to. People are being a little uptight lately with the trolling going on, and being that pedantic seems a little unfair.

Jun 27th, '15, 15:39

by Fuut » Jun 27th, '15, 15:39

mcrdotcom wrote:Yixing teaware is a subject that dominates a lot of the topics of discussion in the tea world and on this site, so I can't see any reason why this is a bad suggestion really. I like the idea of having Chinese, Japanese and Korean sub-forums followed by a "rest of the world" one, because some people have specific interests. But I'm equally ok with it the way it is now!

Just to add: I certainly don't find the term "stuff" as a dismissive term considering it's more than just pots made from clay, and I think that is all Fuut was eluding to. People are being a little uptight lately with the trolling going on, and being that pedantic seems a little unfair.
Rationale you are alive :idea:

Jun 27th, '15, 18:09

by tingjunkie » Jun 27th, '15, 18:09

I just really don't see the point. Topics hang around the top page for days and weeks, even though there is little activity on them. Yixing talk does dominate the teaware forum, but not so much that it sinks other topics to page 3 overnight. So what would be the benefit to a separate forum? Personally, I like seeing the range of topics here. If there's a thread I'm not interested in, I don't click and read it. If there is a particular topic I really want to learn about, I use the search feature. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

Jun 27th, '15, 20:04

by JBaymore » Jun 27th, '15, 20:04

I think the nature of the ware that dominates varies in "cycles". For some period....... it was a lot about Japanese. At the moment it is about Yixing.

I think it balances out in the "big picture".

best,

.................john

Jun 27th, '15, 20:45

by Chip » Jun 27th, '15, 20:45

... I see no reason to change at this time. The main index is longggg with forums. It actually took some doing to get to this few.

I think Teachat forum listings strike an acceptable balance ...

Jun 27th, '15, 21:09

by chrl42 » Jun 27th, '15, 21:09

Fuut wrote:
mcrdotcom wrote:Yixing teaware is a subject that dominates a lot of the topics of discussion in the tea world and on this site, so I can't see any reason why this is a bad suggestion really. I like the idea of having Chinese, Japanese and Korean sub-forums followed by a "rest of the world" one, because some people have specific interests. But I'm equally ok with it the way it is now!

Rationale you are alive :idea:
I should care less...but you've never modified the term while you indeed edited the first post..that might make people think you were being sarcastic.. :wink:

Traditionally, the Chinese didn't advertise their stuffs out of China like the Japanese did, China itself could form a huge complete market and had always been...about Yixing being popped up too frequently..think this way...China is just BIG! :D

+ Post Reply