Yunnan sourcings Yancha

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 19th, '16, 20:42
Vendor Member

Re: Yunnan sourcings Yancha

by jayinhk » Apr 19th, '16, 20:42

Haddemall wrote:Hi Benm3,

I'd like to try your 2g tea to 200ml water method. For how long to you infuse the leaves......

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Haddemall
From TeaHabitat.com (Imen's site):

Quantity (for old bush DC only):
3 to 5 g for old bushes, unless you like it strong like the chao zhou style then use 7 to 9 g when using a gaiwan or a clay pot no larger than 120 ml.

When not using kung fu style method, use 1 g in 120 ml gaiwan, steep for 2 minutes in boiling water.

Apr 19th, '16, 21:32

by DVS » Apr 19th, '16, 21:32

Its Funny gasninja was asking about recommendations for good lower cost yancha from YS, and the thread turned into people talking about their preferred brewing methods. lol

I haven't ordered wuyi from YS before. But this vendor has gotten good reviews, and its under a dollar a gram.

http://tea-yuan.com/collections/frontpa ... 14-rou-gui

Apr 19th, '16, 21:58

by benm3 » Apr 19th, '16, 21:58

Haddemall wrote:Hi Benm3,

I'd like to try your 2g tea to 200ml water method. For how long to you infuse the leaves......

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Haddemall

With good Dan Cong or Yan Cha, I usually just pour boiling water into the gaiwan and let it brew, without a lid, until it tastes rich but not astringent. It depends, but I brew for maybe a minute or two. I drink the tea straight out of the gaiwan.

For subsequent brews, I pour boiling water back onto the leaves, but I use the lid this time. I always drink out of the gaiwan.

Good Dan Cong or Yan Cha can get 3-5 rich brews this way before turning into sweet water. My last brew or two can be many minutes long.

I don't necessarily recommend newly, highly roasted yan cha for this method. The roast will be too dominate. Older high roasted yan cha (if it hasn't been re-roasted) seems to work better.

A 200ml gaiwan is perfect for this method.

Apr 19th, '16, 22:02

by Alucard » Apr 19th, '16, 22:02

gasninja wrote:I don't normally drink Yancha that much. When I do it tends to be higher end Zheng yan teas that are not affordable to drink regularly. I am ordering some spring greens from Yunnan sourcing and wanted to pick up a few different Yanchas that don't cost a upwards of dollar a gram. Does anyone have any recommendations .
I'm liking the BUDDHA'S HAND "FO SHOU" and QI LAN. These are more fruity than floral, which I like. I didnt care much for the DHP or 9 years aged DHP.

Apr 19th, '16, 23:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 19th, '16, 23:01

Alucard wrote:
gasninja wrote:I don't normally drink Yancha that much. When I do it tends to be higher end Zheng yan teas that are not affordable to drink regularly. I am ordering some spring greens from Yunnan sourcing and wanted to pick up a few different Yanchas that don't cost a upwards of dollar a gram. Does anyone have any recommendations .
I'm liking the BUDDHA'S HAND "FO SHOU" and QI LAN. These are more fruity than floral, which I like. I didnt care much for the DHP or 9 years aged DHP.
Why didn't you like the DHP?

Apr 20th, '16, 03:51

by Haddemall » Apr 20th, '16, 03:51

Thank you, Jay and Ben! Always fun to try a new approach.

Apr 28th, '16, 23:46

by Alucard » Apr 28th, '16, 23:46

jayinhk wrote:
Alucard wrote:
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I found it bland...just notes of roast and that is about all. The two I mentioned above had roast plus good flavor.

Apr 29th, '16, 07:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 29th, '16, 07:26

Alucard wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Alucard wrote:
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I found it bland...just notes of roast and that is about all. The two I mentioned above had roast plus good flavor.
I have some DHP like that now...not happy

May 5th, '16, 03:10

by bagua7 » May 5th, '16, 03:10

DVS wrote:this vendor has gotten good reviews, and its under a dollar a gram.

Thanks for that link. Have you tried any? Any particular recommendations? Need to stock up with some WY rock tea now that cooler climate is approaching here in hot and humid Queensland.

My experience with DHP is terrible due to the hyped nature of this tea and an online market loaded with junk, it's just hard to find decent DHP; however I recall "Tead Off" giving a positive review about DHP from YS but that was 3 years ago and Scott only offered one type of DHP which I can't remember which of those is at the moment. Sorry.

Thanks in advance! :)

May 5th, '16, 07:28

by Tead Off » May 5th, '16, 07:28

bagua7 wrote:
DVS wrote:this vendor has gotten good reviews, and its under a dollar a gram.

Thanks for that link. Have you tried any? Any particular recommendations? Need to stock up with some WY rock tea now that cooler climate is approaching here in hot and humid Queensland.

My experience with DHP is terrible due to the hyped nature of this tea and an online market loaded with junk, it's just hard to find decent DHP; however I recall "Tead Off" giving a positive review about DHP from YS but that was 3 years ago and Scott only offered one type of DHP which I can't remember which of those is at the moment. Sorry.

Thanks in advance! :)
For the record, after drinking a lot of YS Wuyi teas, they didn't hold up to my expectations. Sometimes a low price can easily influence a buying decision. This has often been the case with YS. I think they try, but I think they don't try hard enough. They remind me more and more of the lower end department stores that cater to the working classes. (nothing wrong with the working class, but they are not drinking high quality teas.)

May 7th, '16, 04:44

by bagua7 » May 7th, '16, 04:44

But your past review didn't refłect what you're saying right now. I find it a little bit odd. Anyway I'm going to order tomorrow two Wuyi Rock teas (DHP "Hua Xiang" and Tie Luo Han, which are the ones you favourably reviewed). I'm after quality every day drinking tea and certainly YS offers that, not a batch reserved to the leaders of the Chinese Communist Party or HK and Shanghai-based billionaires. It would cost a fortune plus who does really have access to this sort of tea, only a minority! ;) Thanks for chiming in.

May 7th, '16, 06:41

by Tead Off » May 7th, '16, 06:41

bagua7 wrote:But your past review didn't refłect what you're saying right now. I find it a little bit odd. Anyway I'm going to order tomorrow two Wuyi Rock teas (DHP "Hua Xiang" and Tie Luo Han, which are the ones you favourably reviewed). I'm after quality every day drinking tea and certainly YS offers that, not a batch reserved to the leaders of the Chinese Communist Party or HK and Shanghai-based billionaires. It would cost a fortune plus who does really have access to this sort of tea, only a minority! ;) Thanks for chiming in.
I didn't intend for my post to be snobby, but I could see how it could be interpreted that way. Of course, you are exaggerating once again, as I never mentioned my intention of pursuing teas reserved for hi-so people.

YS teas are not my idea of everyday drinking teas. There may be some that could pass that test like their black teas and some puerh cakes, but I found the Yancha lacking as well as other oolongs they sell. I actually tire of drinking them. This is an observation made over time, years, in fact. This is not the only vendor that I've bought from and changed my opinion of over time. For me, the teas have to stand up for more than a few months, especially roasted oolongs. I don't mind paying a bit more if the quality is there.

May 7th, '16, 06:48

by wei301 » May 7th, '16, 06:48

bagua7 wrote:But your past review didn't refłect what you're saying right now. I find it a little bit odd. Anyway I'm going to order tomorrow two Wuyi Rock teas (DHP "Hua Xiang" and Tie Luo Han, which are the ones you favourably reviewed). I'm after quality every day drinking tea and certainly YS offers that, not a batch reserved to the leaders of the Chinese Communist Party or HK and Shanghai-based billionaires. It would cost a fortune plus who does really have access to this sort of tea, only a minority! ;) Thanks for chiming in.
Last edited by wei301 on May 8th, '16, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, '16, 06:52

by wei301 » May 7th, '16, 06:52

Tead Off wrote: YS teas are not my idea of everyday drinking teas. There may be some that could pass that test like their black teas and some puerh cakes, but I found the Yancha lacking as well as other oolongs they sell. I actually tire of drinking them. This is an observation made over time, years, in fact. This is not the only vendor that I've bought from and changed my opinion of over time. For me, the teas have to stand up for more than a few months, especially roasted oolongs. I don't mind paying a bit more if the quality is there.
Last edited by wei301 on May 8th, '16, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, '16, 20:36

by bagua7 » May 7th, '16, 20:36

No worries. It's all good. I see what you mean. Not easy living in the deep West (OZ is a beer culture :lol:, plenty here) and being exposed solely to what is sold online. :(

I'll do some more research before buying anything.

Have you bought any yancha from DTH in the past? I'd like to try one of those DHP cakes since some users state that in cake form this tea retains a better flavour compared to loose leaves.

Cheers.

+ Post Reply