Jul 26th, '07, 10:21

by Mary R » Jul 26th, '07, 10:21

I had to go into Indy the other day to pick up the car my dad left at the airport, so I made a day of it and (finally) went to Tea & Herb.

The magic word is definitely "gaiwan." The owner completely lit up once I mentioned it, then showed me all the "traditional style" teas in the shop. There really weren't all that many, and the owner seemed really frustrated by that. From what I can gather, he opened up a few years ago with the intent to be a traditional-style Chinese tea shop. But he just didn't have the market! To stay in business he had to make most of the stock flavored blends. Now he has a decent following, but the dream has been deferred.

At the end of this August he'll be moving from the location in Broad Ripple. At the end of September or October (I wasn't too clear) he'll be moving into City Market downtown.

Anyway, the owner was so excited that I liked 'traditional teas' that I felt guilty about not buying any (I'd only just popped in to get another gaiwan!), so I purchased a few selections. One of them was a green the owner was quite fond of that translates to "Mountain Fog" in English. Has anyone ever heard of this?

+ Post Reply