Jul 16th, '08, 04:01

by doyoulovedee » Jul 16th, '08, 04:01

shogun89 wrote:In my opinion the absolute best teapot for a beginner is a cast iron pot. Thats the first pot I ever got. I have the one that you see on my avatar, I bought it from www.teavana.com for $70. Please do not get discouraged from the price. Each one of Teavana's pots are handmade In Japan from a natural coal fire and sand mold casting techniques. they say each pot goes through the hands of 17 craftsmen before its done. Each one has a porcelain coating on the inside, and all come with a replicable stainless steal infuser. I once tried to see how long I could keep black tea at a good temperature in a full pot. 2 hours latter it was still semi hot/warm and quite enjoyable. These pots also season after time on there own if you do not wipe the inside after rinsing them in water after use. They are just all around great pots so check them out. Have fun choosing your new pot, just look at all different styles and get the one that suits you. :D
that reminded me of my ikea tumbler, i put in tea in the morning before work, it was too hot to drink on my break, then my lunch, then finally, when i got home at close to 11, it was still steaming, but drinkable.

as for everyones suggestions, it's quite a bit to take in, but i think i'll work my way trough this list, might take me some time.

also, as far as burning myself, i've lost some feeling in my fingertips from working in a kitchen, so that's not a big worry. thanks again!

Jul 16th, '08, 09:08

by hop_goblin » Jul 16th, '08, 09:08

For versatility I would go with a Gaiwan

Jul 16th, '08, 09:49

by andycr512 » Jul 16th, '08, 09:49

I have an average, everyday ceramic 16oz pot (about $15 in this case) which I find myself grabbing constantly.

Jul 16th, '08, 10:57

by chamekke » Jul 16th, '08, 10:57

elchai wrote:
joelbct wrote: This sort of pot from adagio should work fine, but if anything, just pour the brewed tea through the infuser mesh after the tea has brewed, rather than packing the leaves into the infuser while you brew. Anything that constrains the tea leaves will diminish the flavor.
Oh, I see! Well, maybe this is why I haven't noticed a strong enough flavor. Ok, I will try it that way. In that case, the pot I have should work just fine.

Thank you very much!
What teas are you brewing? Some types of tea require more leaf because they're fluffier/lighter in weight.

Just as an aside: I love Adagio, but I do wish sometimes that they provided more precise brewing instructions with their teas, especially amount (either weight or volume) required to make a single cup. I remember looking at my sample of Silver Needle and trying to figure out how much to use; the only clue I could find on the Adagio site was that the sample size is said to contain 5 rather than the more usual 10 servings.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 16th, '08, 11:51

by elchai » Jul 16th, '08, 11:51

chamekke wrote:
elchai wrote:
joelbct wrote: This sort of pot from adagio should work fine, but if anything, just pour the brewed tea through the infuser mesh after the tea has brewed, rather than packing the leaves into the infuser while you brew. Anything that constrains the tea leaves will diminish the flavor.
Oh, I see! Well, maybe this is why I haven't noticed a strong enough flavor. Ok, I will try it that way. In that case, the pot I have should work just fine.

Thank you very much!
What teas are you brewing? Some types of tea require more leaf because they're fluffier/lighter in weight.

Just as an aside: I love Adagio, but I do wish sometimes that they provided more precise brewing instructions with their teas, especially amount (either weight or volume) required to make a single cup. I remember looking at my sample of Silver Needle and trying to figure out how much to use; the only clue I could find on the Adagio site was that the sample size is said to contain 5 rather than the more usual 10 servings.
Mostly blacks. Some green, white and oolong. I haven't been able to get the whites right yet, Im not too keen on them yet. I prefer a lot of flavor, so the blacks are my norm.

Jul 16th, '08, 13:15

by doyoulovedee » Jul 16th, '08, 13:15

chamekke wrote: Just as an aside: I love Adagio, but I do wish sometimes that they provided more precise brewing instructions with their teas, especially amount (either weight or volume) required to make a single cup. I remember looking at my sample of Silver Needle and trying to figure out how much to use; the only clue I could find on the Adagio site was that the sample size is said to contain 5 rather than the more usual 10 servings.
i had that problem too. i was trying to spoon it out of the little tin, eventually i just gave up and did one big pinch per 12oz cup.

Jul 16th, '08, 15:38

by elchai » Jul 16th, '08, 15:38

I eventually just bought a glass whistling teapot since its easy clean up and very inexpensive. It is good for now, but it is a 12 cup pot. I only brew 2-4 cups at a time, so I still have to use a smaller pot for steeping, not really sure if there is away to get around that though. I don't know if my smaller glass pot is made to sit on the stove even with the heat diffuser...

What would work good for both brewing and steeping for only 2-4 cups?

Jul 16th, '08, 16:38

by Pentox » Jul 16th, '08, 16:38

elchai wrote:I eventually just bought a glass whistling teapot since its easy clean up and very inexpensive. It is good for now, but it is a 12 cup pot. I only brew 2-4 cups at a time, so I still have to use a smaller pot for steeping, not really sure if there is away to get around that though. I don't know if my smaller glass pot is made to sit on the stove even with the heat diffuser...

What would work good for both brewing and steeping for only 2-4 cups?
Boiling and steeping rarely seem to get mixed into the same device it seems. Most of us (at least i'm pretty sure of this) use a separate device for heating the water than for steeping it. Zoji's are rather common for keeping warm water around, some use kettles, electric kettles, microwaves, the occasional immersion heater possibly. As far as steeping goes though, that's a variety as wide as the selection of tea itself.

Jul 16th, '08, 19:24

by joelbct » Jul 16th, '08, 19:24

elchai wrote:I eventually just bought a glass whistling teapot since its easy clean up and very inexpensive.
Wait, a Whistling Tea Kettle, or a Whistling Tea Pot? Why does a pot whistle?

Jul 16th, '08, 19:38

by Eastree » Jul 16th, '08, 19:38

joelbct wrote:
elchai wrote:I eventually just bought a glass whistling teapot since its easy clean up and very inexpensive.
Nope. the kettle whistles to alert the one waiting, or anyone else in ear-shot, that the water is at a full boil. Only the kettles.

Jul 16th, '08, 20:50

by heavydoom » Jul 16th, '08, 20:50

Pentox wrote:Personally I don't think that a Gaiwan is the best way to start out for a newbie. Gaiwans require a certain level of skill to use them on their own, let alone learning the parameters for brewing the tea itself. To initially start I would say to use a simple add leaf, add water, wait, pour style of pot rather than the pouring method of a gaiwan. I would say that would be a good second stage to pick up. I've seen too many people burn themselves with a gaiwan not knowing how to hold it right to suggest it for a newbie.
so true. however, there are some user friendly gaiwans out there. there are these hybrid gaiwan/tea pot thingie. i bet some online sites have them. gaiwan is a very cost effective way to drink all kinds of teas. no need to buy all these pots, yet.

Jul 16th, '08, 20:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 16th, '08, 20:58

I believe there are some hybrid gaiwan-pots at Imperial Tea Court (Probably other places too).

I started with a gaiwan. While it took some getting used to, it's a great tool, and it is something any wrong-fu-er should be at least somewhat proficient with. No pain, no gain, I say! Also, gaiwans are much easier to buy; I still take forever to decide on Yixing!

Proinsias: You better watch yourself, I know where you live. :twisted: I glanced at the pic and thought "oh cool, he has the same brown gaiwan I have... and the same tray... oh wait." Silly me. :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 16th, '08, 21:03

by henley » Jul 16th, '08, 21:03

elchai wrote: What would work good for both brewing and steeping for only 2-4 cups?
Got to thinking about this after our conversation. It's the same one Joel suggested after I look back at the thread. It's a minimum investment & would serve the purpose you need until you decide what direction you want to go & how much you want to invest in teaware.

Jul 17th, '08, 00:47

by elchai » Jul 17th, '08, 00:47

joelbct wrote:
:lol: Ok... of course I MEANT a tea kettle! :)
henley wrote:Got to thinking about this after our conversation. It's the same one Joel suggested after I look back at the thread. It's a minimum investment & would serve the purpose you need until you decide what direction you want to go & how much you want to invest in teaware.
Yes, I looked at that one and it would work if I wanted to microwave my water, I don't think you can put it on the stove... I would rather use my kettle. I need to go back through this thread again... :wink:

Jul 17th, '08, 00:59

by joelbct » Jul 17th, '08, 00:59

elchai wrote:Yes, I looked at that one and it would work if I wanted to microwave my water, I don't think you can put it on the stove...
Well, as has been mentioned, nearly all of us use a separate device/vessel for boiling the water.

Adagio's UtiliTEA rocks, actually- just plugs in, all stainless steel (no rubber/plastic touching the water, like w/ most electric kettles), and best of all, boils the water in like 1-2 minutes flat. I love the thing, use it every day, and I'm very picky about electronics/appliances/teaware... Gets the Joel-Seal-Of-Approval.

+ Post Reply