Turkish black tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.


Jul 12th, '08, 11:13
Posts: 3
Joined: Feb 15th, '07, 12:07
Location: Lahti, Finland

by LapsangS » Jul 12th, '08, 11:13

Turkish tea tastes quite a lot like Georgian tea, and they both come from Black Sea coast.

User avatar
Jul 13th, '08, 13:39
Posts: 1136
Joined: Dec 2nd, '07, 17:53
Location: New York

Re: Turkish black tea

by joelbct » Jul 13th, '08, 13:39

cgencer wrote:Coming from Turkey, I find it surprising that this kind of tea is never discussed and/or sold anywhere outside the country.. It is wildly popular in Turkey and more or less a national drink, and Turkish probably drink more tea than the british overall. I guess it is not readily available since Turkey produces more or less only one kind of tea (black) and it is strictly under government control. Still it is a unique tea and the brewing method is unique too.

The region where the tea is produced is "Rize".
That's fascinating, I would love to try it. When I lived in New Haven, CT, there was a restaurant across the block, and the fellow that owned it was of Turkish/Italian heritage, born in Turkey, and always had a metal Samovar-like contraption full of tea.

I didn't know Turkey actually produced the Tea though... learn something every day!

Jul 13th, '08, 15:11

Re: Turkish black tea

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 13th, '08, 15:11

joelbct wrote:
cgencer wrote:Coming from Turkey, I find it surprising that this kind of tea is never discussed and/or sold anywhere outside the country.. It is wildly popular in Turkey and more or less a national drink, and Turkish probably drink more tea than the british overall. I guess it is not readily available since Turkey produces more or less only one kind of tea (black) and it is strictly under government control. Still it is a unique tea and the brewing method is unique too.

The region where the tea is produced is "Rize".
That's fascinating, I would love to try it. When I lived in New Haven, CT, there was a restaurant across the block, and the fellow that owned it was of Turkish/Italian heritage, born in Turkey, and always had a metal Samovar-like contraption full of tea.

I didn't know Turkey actually produced the Tea though... learn something every day!
Yes 5th biggest tea producer in the world! Almost all the consumption is domestic though... And the production started actually in 20th century so it's a quite recent thing, not like China or Japan obviously.

Jul 13th, '08, 16:26
Posts: 74
Joined: Mar 11th, '08, 16:33
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 13th, '08, 16:26

I like Turkish tea and I like to play backgammon. I play backgammon online and about 80 to 90% of the people I play are from Turkey.
I get the impression that if I were to visit Turkey, I could be sipping tea and playing backgammon every where I went.

Jul 13th, '08, 16:34

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 13th, '08, 16:34

rodstnmn wrote:I like Turkish tea and I like to play backgammon. I play backgammon online and about 80 to 90% of the people I play are from Turkey.
I get the impression that if I were to visit Turkey, I could be sipping tea and playing backgammon every where I went.
Yes, there's lots of "cafes" where guys drink tea, and play backgammon (and usually smoke). You drink so much tea in those places that you put your spoon on the glass if you DON'T want to get more tea. Otherwise it is automatically renewed.

Jul 18th, '08, 10:50
Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 3rd, '08, 18:12

by Shai Guy » Jul 18th, '08, 10:50

Thank you cgencer and rodstnmn both for your replies,I appreciate your help.Nice to meet you all as well.

+ Post Reply