Sunday, 7/06/08 TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How important is caffeine to your tea consumption?

Top priority...it is why I drink tea
No votes
High...love that caffeine boost
13%
Middle of the road...caffeine is a nice bonus
38%
Low priority, I would drink it even if it had no caffeine
29%
No importance
17%
Other
4%

Total votes: 48

Jul 6th, '08, 11:20

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 6th, '08, 11:20

Middle of the road. I like caffeine in the morning to get me going, but beyond that I would rather drink tea for the flavor, not just for the caffeine boost.

This morning I am enjoying a mug of White Peach.

Jul 6th, '08, 11:20

by kymidwife » Jul 6th, '08, 11:20

Middle of the road here... sometimes I am craving the caffeine and appreciative of its effects... and other times, it is a hindrance, as I enjoy drinking tea until I got to bed at midnight. I've never found many decaffs I enjoy, but I do have some enroute from Adagio now, so we'll see how those go. In the meantime, I've tried the technique I learned here... of steeping regular leaves for 30-45 seconds, discarding, and steeping again, to reduce the caffeine. That seems to work nicely.

Had some leftover peach oolong iced tea with cold pizza this morning, but I am missing my caffeine kick, feeling draggy... so I am off to brew something... just have to decide what to have... so many little sample tins in my cabinet.

And so many new empty ones... i am starting to acquire a stash of empty tins! Now will be the fun of figuring out what to reorder. Of course, I have more stuffs coming from Upton and O-Cha still...

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 6th, '08, 11:28

by tenuki » Jul 6th, '08, 11:28

Not really craving tea today. Weird. Maybe after breakfast.

Maybe it was that 32 oz of Yunnan Gold yesterday evening that ended keeping me up way too late. :D

Jul 6th, '08, 11:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 6th, '08, 11:31

Middle of the road for me I guess. I like - no, need the caffeine boost in the mornings. After that I could do without caffeine.

In my cup this morning TeaHome Golden Lily.

Happy Sunday Everyone!

Jul 6th, '08, 11:44

by insanitylater » Jul 6th, '08, 11:44

i would drink it without caffeine but the energy can be nice sometimes

no tea yet but i will maybe make some iced tea!

Jul 6th, '08, 11:47

by Geekgirl » Jul 6th, '08, 11:47

Middle of the road for me. I was a heavy coffee drinker, maybe 6+ cups a day, so the caffeine in my tea quota is negligible in comparison. But...

Last night, I had one of these:

(Sencha Shot from Ito-En,) after which, I was up until 1:30am, then went to bed and laid awake until 4:30am, then promptly had two nightmares: one in which my camera got "swapped" for one that had burned in a fire, and a second where I was supposed to trade hawaiian shirts with a guy who owed another guy a briefcase full of money. (Not sure why that was a nightmare but it was.) :?

Not sure if I'll be trying one of those again anytime soon. Although it was pretty good. I suppose my bad dream accompanied insomnia could also have been influenced by the other 4 cups of iced tea I drank all after 7pm, plus two last infusions of puerh around 8pm... nah. That's normal, right? :shock:

Jul 6th, '08, 11:54

by laran7 » Jul 6th, '08, 11:54

insanitylater wrote:i would drink it without caffeine but the energy can be nice sometimes

no tea yet but i will maybe make some iced tea!
Thats adorable.

Jul 6th, '08, 12:03

Re: Shincha Fukamushi

by joelbct » Jul 6th, '08, 12:03

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:(Sencha Shot from Ito-En,) after which, I was up until 1:30am, then went to bed and laid awake until 4:30am, then promptly had two nightmares: one in which my camera got "swapped" for one that had burned in a fire, and a second where I was supposed to trade hawaiian shirts with a guy who owed another guy a briefcase full of money. (Not sure why that was a nightmare but it was.) :?
haha that's hilarious...

I like iced sencha myself, sans nightmares tho...
Salsero wrote:Shincha Fukamushi Sencha with some mauve (is that the right word?) weed flowers from the unloved lawn at the office.
The office? So you're saying you manage to have time both to take all those gorgeous tea pictures *and* hold down a job? Nice, I am duly impressed Image

I would actually drink more tea if it didn't have caffeine.... Although on second thought, I think the caffeine actually contributes to the slightly astringent taste of tea.

<--- Fujian Golden Buddha Red Tea

followed by probably a nice Shincha this afternoon.

Jul 6th, '08, 12:17

by witches brew » Jul 6th, '08, 12:17

I had to say "other" because there was no option to express my dislike for caffeine. I don't like the way it makes me jittery and I don't like the sleeplessness that goes along with it.

And, in light of those feelings, I am enjoying a tall glass of iced tisane. Passionflower and lemongrass. Yum.

It's good to be home.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jul 6th, '08, 12:20

by geeber1 » Jul 6th, '08, 12:20

GeekGirl,
I love your photo, those little figurines are so adorable. Sorry to hear about your nightmares, though. :( It would be interesting to find out the meaning of the Hawaiian shirt dream.

I voted high priority for caffeine, although that's usually needed just after I get to work in the morning. I bring a bottle of iced tea with me to start the day and that also helps me drink less diet soda later in the day.

Another chai day today.

Jul 6th, '08, 12:52

by Proinsias » Jul 6th, '08, 12:52

I do quite like it when I'm feeling sleepy and need to stay up. Oh noes, I've got to drink loads of tea!

Jul 6th, '08, 12:55

by chamekke » Jul 6th, '08, 12:55

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
That is wonderful - so playful! And the tea looks delicious.

Jul 6th, '08, 14:04

by henley » Jul 6th, '08, 14:04

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Not sure if I'll be trying one of those again anytime soon. Although it was pretty good. I suppose my bad dream accompanied insomnia could also have been influenced by the other 4 cups of iced tea I drank all after 7pm, plus two last infusions of puerh around 8pm...
Hmmm... ya think? Image

Caffeine has no importance on my tea consumption. I drink tea simply because I enjoy it.

Relaxing now w/a cuppa White Tangerine courtesy of Elchai. It's okay but not something I would buy. I liked the White Tropics from last night better. Gone to make a cuppa yummy Pouchong!

Jul 6th, '08, 14:44

by chamekke » Jul 6th, '08, 14:44

I said "Middle of the road" because, while I drink tea (and coffee) for the flavour, not the caffeine, sometimes a wee caffeine buzz can be welcome.

A wee one, that is. I stopped drinking my morning coffee prior to going to tea class after noticing that the caffeine left me with a very slight tremor in my right hand - which was only noticeable when I was ladling water from the kettle into the chawan. But when you're using a long ladle and you're pouring very slowly and deliberately, even a miniscule tremor can be VERY noticeable. Wow - caffeine really does have an effect!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 6th, '08, 14:48

by Jagori » Jul 6th, '08, 14:48

I voted "other" - all other things equal, I'd prefer if tea didn't have caffeine. Then I wouldn't have to hold off those times when I want some tea at midnight but I have to be up at 8.