Very true, but my parents sure dont but $175 bottles and not a hell of alot of people do.tony shlongini wrote:Look at it this way- 10g is two sessions. For the sake of argument, assume you get five 150ml brews per session. That's roughly equivalent to two bottles of wine, and although a $175 bottle is by no means cheap, it's a pittance in the world of high end wine.shogun89 wrote:I was just looking around on Hou De and found this,
http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... cts_id=759
Look at the price on that! I dont care how rare and good it is that is just too damn expensive for anything. Does look good though!
So although the price seems ludicrous at first glance, it's far from the most one could spend on beverages.
Aug 30th, '08, 18:10
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Aug 30th, '08, 18:14
Posts: 1598
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 16:13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Contact:
scruffmcgruff
Aug 30th, '08, 19:06
Posts: 1598
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 16:13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Contact:
scruffmcgruff
What beer? All I see is weasel p*ss.TomVerlain wrote:yes, but it could buy this much beer ....
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com
Aug 30th, '08, 21:25
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta
It would be hard to find a tea that costs more per glass than this one.shogun89 wrote: Very true, but my parents sure dont but $175 bottles and not a hell of alot of people do.
http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displ ... geid=13877
Or these.
http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displ ... geid=13625
They're certainly not for every day, but neither would that tea.
Aug 30th, '08, 21:48
Posts: 1598
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 16:13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Contact:
scruffmcgruff
Are you a B&B member too? We've got a few on TeaChat– Eastree and myself for certain, and a couple others that I either haven't confirmed or have forgotten about. Welcome!tony shlongini wrote:http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displ ... geid=13877
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com
Aug 30th, '08, 22:57
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta
I'm pretty easy to find there- just look for the avatar.scruffmcgruff wrote:Are you a B&B member too? We've got a few on TeaChat– Eastree and myself for certain, and a couple others that I either haven't confirmed or have forgotten about. Welcome!tony shlongini wrote:http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displ ... geid=13877
Oh, and get posting- you only have 100 posts there.
Last edited by tony shlongini on Aug 30th, '08, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 30th, '08, 23:01
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta
I had the '49, but the '47 holds a very special place in the pantheon of greats. My friend and I recently enjoyed a '61 Petrus, and we have a '45 Latour penciled in for Thanksgiving.TomVerlain wrote:Bah ... Only cartoon characters drink chateau cheval blanc, and dustier bottles at that ....
from my personal collection, a snapshot ....
Beautiful picture!
Last edited by tony shlongini on Aug 31st, '08, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
here is a more serious reply than my previous postings ..
http://en.ce.cn/subject/chinamarkets/mk ... 0073.shtml
BTW .. 18,800 Yuan is US $2,743.24
Price of Pu'er tea goes down
Last Updated(Beijing Time):2007-07-11 10:29
Two months ago, a package of Pu'er tea weighing 30 kilograms would sell at a price of 16,000-17,000 yuan in the Shanghai tea market. Now, if the same package of tea were sold at 6,000 yuan, nobody would buy it. This year, the price of Pu'er tea once went up at an incredibly high level. Now, its price has started to drop in Yunnan, the native place of Pu'er tea, and also in Guandong, Fujian, Zhejiang and Shanghai.
Last week, this reporter went to some of the tea stores in Shanghai. The reporter found that the most expensive variety of Pu'er tea, the Guangyun Royal Tea Cake produced in 1960, was sold at 18,800 yuan, but not many customers visited these tea stores.
Some analysts attribute the sharp price fall of Pu'er tea to the speculation activities for the tea.
Statistics show that in less than three years, the price of Pu'er tea increased by 10-fold or even 100-fold. Last year, a package of a variety of Pu'er tea, called Qizibing, was sold at 1.6 million yuan in the auction market. Many farmers exclaimed that when they picked the tea leaves in the tea garden, they felt as if they were picking Renminbi notes! More and more people are becoming tea collectors. It is said that a person even sold his PMW car to collect Pu'er tea.
Meanwhile, tea companies have made lucrative profits from the tea production. Before 2000, a Pu'er tea company manager would be highly praised as long as he could avoid profit loss for the company. However, in the beginning of 2007, the price of Pu'er tea started to go up substantially. Production of Pu'er tea was regarded as a lucrative business, so many Pu'er tea company managers abandoned their old bikes and began to drive big flash cars to go to work every day.
However, the situation did not last long. Months later, the price of Pu'er tea fell sharply. What caused such big drops?
The biggest problem is that there is no professional industrial standards set for the Pu'er tea industry. In Yunnan, for example, there are now more than 3,000 companies that process Pu'er tea. However, only 59 of them have passed the state's Quality Safety test. The quality of tea produced by small companies is inferior. Sometimes these small companies even produced some fake-branded products, which disturbed the market order of Pu'er tea production.
There are other good articles here:
http://en.ce.cn/Insight/200708/24/t2007 ... 3467.shtml
http://en.ce.cn/subject/chinamarkets/mk ... 0073.shtml
BTW .. 18,800 Yuan is US $2,743.24
Price of Pu'er tea goes down
Last Updated(Beijing Time):2007-07-11 10:29
Two months ago, a package of Pu'er tea weighing 30 kilograms would sell at a price of 16,000-17,000 yuan in the Shanghai tea market. Now, if the same package of tea were sold at 6,000 yuan, nobody would buy it. This year, the price of Pu'er tea once went up at an incredibly high level. Now, its price has started to drop in Yunnan, the native place of Pu'er tea, and also in Guandong, Fujian, Zhejiang and Shanghai.
Last week, this reporter went to some of the tea stores in Shanghai. The reporter found that the most expensive variety of Pu'er tea, the Guangyun Royal Tea Cake produced in 1960, was sold at 18,800 yuan, but not many customers visited these tea stores.
Some analysts attribute the sharp price fall of Pu'er tea to the speculation activities for the tea.
Statistics show that in less than three years, the price of Pu'er tea increased by 10-fold or even 100-fold. Last year, a package of a variety of Pu'er tea, called Qizibing, was sold at 1.6 million yuan in the auction market. Many farmers exclaimed that when they picked the tea leaves in the tea garden, they felt as if they were picking Renminbi notes! More and more people are becoming tea collectors. It is said that a person even sold his PMW car to collect Pu'er tea.
Meanwhile, tea companies have made lucrative profits from the tea production. Before 2000, a Pu'er tea company manager would be highly praised as long as he could avoid profit loss for the company. However, in the beginning of 2007, the price of Pu'er tea started to go up substantially. Production of Pu'er tea was regarded as a lucrative business, so many Pu'er tea company managers abandoned their old bikes and began to drive big flash cars to go to work every day.
However, the situation did not last long. Months later, the price of Pu'er tea fell sharply. What caused such big drops?
The biggest problem is that there is no professional industrial standards set for the Pu'er tea industry. In Yunnan, for example, there are now more than 3,000 companies that process Pu'er tea. However, only 59 of them have passed the state's Quality Safety test. The quality of tea produced by small companies is inferior. Sometimes these small companies even produced some fake-branded products, which disturbed the market order of Pu'er tea production.
There are other good articles here:
http://en.ce.cn/Insight/200708/24/t2007 ... 3467.shtml
Aug 30th, '08, 23:55
Posts: 1598
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 16:13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Contact:
scruffmcgruff
Haha, yeah, I haven't been there in a while. I bought a couple vintage razors, a couple new ones, and eventually just settled in with what I liked. I go back to check out shaving cream reviews when I'm in need of some more, though I guess I should at least participate in the speakeasy and barber shop forums.tony shlongini wrote:Oh, and get posting- you only have 100 posts there.
(Sorry for being so far OT, by the way!)
Aug 31st, '08, 05:52
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th, '06, 12:42
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch
Contact:
Proinsias
Or you could 'do a Toki' and brew it for several weeks.
I plan on shelling out for some expensive sheng in a few years, small samples, once I've upped my gong fu and pu-erh palate.
I've always preferred the older stuff and one day I'll try the really good stuff, obviously one day I'll be rich as well.
I plan on shelling out for some expensive sheng in a few years, small samples, once I've upped my gong fu and pu-erh palate.
I've always preferred the older stuff and one day I'll try the really good stuff, obviously one day I'll be rich as well.

