Friday TeaDay 8/29/08 Tea and disease prevention?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you believe that tea can be instrumental in preventing more serious and life threatening disease such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and others?

Yes, I believe it can
27%
Yes, I am at least hopeful that it is possible
22%
Maybe
32%
No, I doubt it
13%
Definitely not
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 60

Aug 29th, '08, 11:08

by xine » Aug 29th, '08, 11:08

I put 'doubt it'. Tea is healthy, drink plenty of it, but drink for enjoyment. I get a lot of questions from people who have so and such disease and ask if a particular tea will 'cure' it. Sigh. I tell them that tea is full of good stuff like antioxidants and polyphenols, but so are a lot of things, and that perhaps tea can serve as a replacement for other items not as healthy. anyway, yeah. IT's a bit depressing when people think that tea is the mystical cure for their ails.

having iced TKY today. Ready for 3 DAY WEEKEND.

Aug 29th, '08, 11:13
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Aug 29th, '08, 11:13

xine wrote:having iced TKY today. Ready for 3 DAY WEEKEND.
I'm fu'ing TKY (from Mighty Leaf) on the start of my FOUR-day weekend.

Who wins? :P

Aug 29th, '08, 11:23

Re: Koten Fuukeiga Chawan, Day 3

by auggy » Aug 29th, '08, 11:23

Salsero wrote:OK, last day of this cup today. I promise! For today I had to empty out the tea.
Because after today, you are going to send it to me, right? Right? :twisted:

I chose "maybe" on the poll. It is amazing how our bodies work and how one thing can affect your entire system. I don't drink tea for it's possible benefits, but it's be a nice bonus if it had long-term health implications.

Almond & vanilla tea for me. Six months ago the idea of blending scared and intimidated me. Now, I do it a lot with my flavored teas - trying to make some taste good and trying to use up the last of others.

Hope everyone's Friday goes quickly! I would say yay for the upcoming three day weekend, but I always have a three day weekend. This one just means hubby will be home, too, so I won't be able to do my house chores. :?

Aug 29th, '08, 11:27

by olivierco » Aug 29th, '08, 11:27

Kirameki shincha right now. End of the package. I am already waiting for 2009 harvest.

Aug 29th, '08, 11:35

by laran7 » Aug 29th, '08, 11:35

jogrebe wrote: Regardless of how good tea is for you I doubt it is good enough to be able to neutralize the damage done by an unhealthy couch potato junk food diet lifestyle especially if you add heavy drinking and smoking to the mix.
Aargh!
That's just funny!

(OF COURSE!)

Aug 29th, '08, 11:51

by bronzebed » Aug 29th, '08, 11:51

CynTEAa wrote: Yunnan Gold to try and wake up. Need more... 8)
that's my normal wake up tea. works pretty well for me.

my feeling is that tea can help prevent diseases for many people but that it won't help in the more extreme cases, though maybe it still could slow down the disease in those cases. i've been looking into the health benefits of tea and man it seems to do everything and information seems to come from credible sources. some of the claims: reduction of heart disease & cholesterol, lower cancer rates, increased bone density, cavity prevention, colon health, weight loss, better skin, management of diabetes, etc.

today i had some 2006 Li Shan.

Aug 29th, '08, 12:11

by jazz88 » Aug 29th, '08, 12:11

I voted: hopeful that it is possible.

Capricorn (The Zodiac series) signature blend in my cup right now – probably among my favorites at the moment – very smooth and buttery.

Aug 29th, '08, 13:16

by doyoulovedee » Aug 29th, '08, 13:16

bronzebed wrote:
my feeling is that tea can help prevent diseases for many people but that it won't help in the more extreme cases, though maybe it still could slow down the disease in those cases. i've been looking into the health benefits of tea and man it seems to do everything and information seems to come from credible sources. some of the claims: reduction of heart disease & cholesterol, lower cancer rates, increased bone density, cavity prevention, colon health, weight loss, better skin, management of diabetes, etc.

today i had some 2006 Li Shan.

i believe it goes along the lines of teas good for you, much better than the alternatives. so if someone drinks 6 cups of tea instead of 4 cans of soda (i know people like that), you're most likely to live a healthier life than that guy/girl. teas definitely a step in the right direction, but it's not the end all and be all. as far as the researchers above say, it's like when they try and directly link disease and cause. this does not always cause that, but it may lead to it.

lychee black for the morning.

Aug 29th, '08, 13:19

by Pentox » Aug 29th, '08, 13:19

I'm rather doubtful that tea will be instrumental in any major health change. I believe that if that were the case you would see a heavy disparity in the cases of that between tea drinking countries and non. At this point I think we would have noticed a pattern by now if that were the case.

Today: The last of my maeda-en shincha. I'll have to remember to bring in some more sencha to work now.

Aug 29th, '08, 13:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Aug 29th, '08, 13:43

and he's from California!

come here Pentox, gimme a high five :)

Aug 29th, '08, 13:54

by Pentox » Aug 29th, '08, 13:54

silverneedles wrote:and he's from California!

come here Pentox, gimme a high five :)
All i've got is a 20, got some change?

Aug 29th, '08, 14:15

by Chip » Aug 29th, '08, 14:15

One can make healthy lifestyle choices, and certainly tea can be one of them. I love tea for enjoyment, and I did not start drinking tea based on reports of potential health benefits.

However, I still feel there are a lot of postives in the realm of tea and health. I try not to get toooo wrapped up in it, but I am more happy about my beverage choice than I ever was.

I do not consider it to be a panacea, but cannot help but think a cup of Japanese steamed tea is chock full of goodness. :D

Interestingly, tea drinking nations such as China, have picked up western bad habits, so it is hard to base conclusions solely on nationality. Last I heard, Lipton was sweeping China as a trendy drink, go figure :roll:

Adagio Golden Monkey earlier. Currently enjoying Fukamushi Supreme from O-Cha.

I just read that O-Cha is going to release a Chiran fukamushi type sencha and a Yame gyokuro next week! WOOT!!!!!!
Last edited by Chip on Aug 29th, '08, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 29th, '08, 14:16

by silverneedles » Aug 29th, '08, 14:16

do you take Discover® ©2008 Discover Bank, Member FDIC ?

Aug 29th, '08, 14:20

by CynTEAa » Aug 29th, '08, 14:20

xine wrote:I put 'doubt it'. Tea is healthy, drink plenty of it, but drink for enjoyment. I get a lot of questions from people who have so and such disease and ask if a particular tea will 'cure' it. Sigh. I tell them that tea is full of good stuff like antioxidants and polyphenols, but so are a lot of things, and that perhaps tea can serve as a replacement for other items not as healthy. anyway, yeah. IT's a bit depressing when people think that tea is the mystical cure for their ails.

having iced TKY today. Ready for 3 DAY WEEKEND.

It's true, there's no "silver bullet" out there which is what some seem to want. Truth is you can do everything right and still get sick. Drink it for enjoyment and if it helps somehow, all the better!

Brewing some sencha samples - hope one of these fits the bill.

Aug 29th, '08, 14:50

by Pentox » Aug 29th, '08, 14:50

Chip wrote:
I just read that O-Cha is going to release a Chiran fukamushi type sencha and a Yame gyokuro next week! WOOT!!!!!!
Argh and here I was trying to cut back on tea purchasing recently...