Saturday TeaRoom 10/11/08 Caffeine fiend?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Be honest, how important do you think CAFFEINE is to your tea enjoyment? Are you a caffeine fiend?

I am a caffeine fiend. Caffeine is most important to tea enjoyment
5%
I am a borderline fiend
12%
I like the caffeine but find other things more important than the caffeine
42%
I can live with or without the caffeine
29%
I don't like the caffeine in tea
2%
Other
10%

Total votes: 59

Oct 11th, '08, 11:09

by zacstill » Oct 11th, '08, 11:09

Most often I share tea with roommates or pour the pitcher over the pot after two small cups full (about 6 sips) and move on to the next infusion. When I drink all 10 or more infusions from a puer session I tend to feel overloaded, both in terms of caffeine buzz and a big sloshing belly full of tea.

I'm sure most of you have researched caffeine for yourselves, but if anyone's interested here's my spiel.
Remember that caffeine is a drug, and just because it's legal doesn't mean it can't be bad for you. Take it in moderation. Caffeine is addictive, meaning that with extensive use you may build up a tolerance, may become emotionally dependent (some people NEED that cup of coffee in the morning), and may experience withdrawal symptoms if you stop abruptly (headaches, irritability).
It is possible to overdose on caffeine, with really awful effects, but you pretty much have to make a conscious effort to OD (anywhere from 10 or more cups of coffee).

I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine, but I'm not about to switch to decaf.

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=273
About to be in my cup

Oct 11th, '08, 11:23

by Carnelian » Oct 11th, '08, 11:23

When it comes to caffeine in tea, I can take it or leave it. A weird thing is that I can't stomcah caffeine from coffee or pop, but tea doesn't affect me that much.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Oct 11th, '08, 11:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 11th, '08, 11:43

tsusentei wrote: Image
Wonderful photo, tsusentei! I love the water all over, the thick look of the tea and the beautiful tea tray.

Oct 11th, '08, 11:51

by kymidwife » Oct 11th, '08, 11:51

There are times when I enjoy and appreciate the caffeine in my tea, but it is far from the most important thing... it's all about the flavor. To be honest, I'd mostly drink decaff tea for health reasons IF there was a decent selection of decaffs with the same full and complex flavor profile I demand in my tea. I find some reasonably palatable decaff teas, and am developing a taste for mugicha both because I like it and because it's a great decaff option...

But I haven't found a decaff darjeeling or oolong I thought was worth drinking. And until I do, caffeine will remain a big part of my tea day.

Just arrived at my mom's, and I have to fumble through her panty to see what teas I've left here. I'm drinking some Darjeeling 22 right now, brewed at home for the drive out. It's not as tasty as the green/oolongish darjeelings, but I think it is growing on me.

Have a great tea day!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 11th, '08, 11:58

by Geekgirl » Oct 11th, '08, 11:58

kymidwife wrote: Just arrived at my mom's, and I have to fumble through her panty
:shock:

:lol:

Oct 11th, '08, 12:05

by Victoria » Oct 11th, '08, 12:05

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
kymidwife wrote: Just arrived at my mom's, and I have to fumble through her panty
:shock:

:lol:
Ack! :shock:

Tsusentei - LOVE that tray!

Last edited by Victoria on Oct 11th, '08, 14:21, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 11th, '08, 12:05

by Ed » Oct 11th, '08, 12:05

LMFAO! :)

Oct 11th, '08, 12:14

by geeber1 » Oct 11th, '08, 12:14

Riene wrote:The first two cups in the morning have to have caffeine. The more the better. I *heart* my black teas.

The caffeine content of afternoon and evening teas isn't as important..
I'm with you Riene, have to have that cup or two of black tea to get started in the morning. Viva la dark side!

This morning I had a very nice cup of Adagio Cinnamon tea. I think this is growing on me, it's a nice temporary switch from my regular Irish Breakfast.

Oct 11th, '08, 12:17

by Bubba_tea » Oct 11th, '08, 12:17

Caffeine is in such moderate amounts, I don't think it has much to do with anything of the effect of tea. As an avid espresso drinker - some teas have a lot stronger cha qi effect on me that I think a lot of people confuse with caffeine content. I think this is evidenced by the number of websites that list the 'caffeine content' in their listings. I can drink a double espresso and several cups of yunnan gold before bed and sleep like a baby - or have a cup of long jing and be wired for half the night!

Oct 11th, '08, 12:43

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 11th, '08, 12:43

Pots of black tea were my only tool for staying up late in college days (mostly cheap bags; I didn't know better then), since I've never been a coffee fan.
Nowadays a little tea caffeine in the morning is ok, but I mostly I find the need for a little pick-me-up in the middle of the afternoon (siestas are discouraged in my office :roll: ).

This morning enjoying Jade Oolong, also some iced White Peach inbetween.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 11th, '08, 12:48

by bambooforest » Oct 11th, '08, 12:48

I don't think you can separate tea and caffeine. To me, they are not separate but both a part of the whole.

I like tea for what it is, and it does have caffeine.

Oct 11th, '08, 12:50

by kymidwife » Oct 11th, '08, 12:50

Ahahahahahahahahaha.... I'm not even going to edit that to fix it, it's too funny.

But for anyone who didn't know what i meant.... :shock: PANTRY, not panty :shock:

Sarah (still laughing) :lol: :lol: :lol:
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 11th, '08, 12:54

by Chip » Oct 11th, '08, 12:54

Interesting comments as always. Cha qi is mentioned severl times and I need to make more of a conscious effort to seperate the two effects.

I like to think I drink tea because I love tea, but as Bambooforest mentioned, caffeine is a part of tea as well. The time I do not like caffeine is in the evening and I REALLY want a fresh cup. Those are the times for SLT, soggy leaf tea, the remains of the day, maybe a 5th steep of sencha or some oolong from earlier.

Green is calling before I leave for a while, Chiran Supreme from O-Cha.
Last edited by Chip on Jun 25th, '09, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 11th, '08, 13:08

by geeber1 » Oct 11th, '08, 13:08

Chip wrote:Interesting comments as always. Cha qi is mentioned severl times and I need to make more of a conscious effort to seperate the two effects.
Chip, can you explain what Cha qi is? Google's not very helpful.

Oct 11th, '08, 13:32

by Riene » Oct 11th, '08, 13:32

geeber1 wrote:
Chip wrote:Interesting comments as always. Cha qi is mentioned severl times and I need to make more of a conscious effort to seperate the two effects.
Chip, can you explain what Cha qi is? Google's not very helpful.
+1

Yes, please? I was just wondering this myself.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty