Monday TeaDay 10/13/08 TeaChat and personal journey?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic was from an anon who wondered when you were a new member to TeaChat, how much did TeaChat help you in your personal tea journey?

TeaChat helped tremendously when I joined
49%
TeaChat did help me when I joined
43%
Maybe it helped
6%
I do not think it helped
No votes
No, it did not help me when I joined
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 53

Oct 13th, '08, 10:57

by Shelob » Oct 13th, '08, 10:57

Hey Sal, great pic again today. You make tea soooo inviting!
Guess I better visit the Pu-Crew ASAP! :wink:
OOps, forgot, on my 3rd steep of dragonwell!

Oct 13th, '08, 11:13

by Wosret » Oct 13th, '08, 11:13

TeaChat has been helpful to me, yes. I do find it difficult, sometimes, because it seems as though (and that recent poll confirmed it) that there's a heavy preference towards greens, oolongs, and pur-eh, which I'm not ready to explore yet. I love my black teas and my English teaware, so I don't think TeaChat has been as helpful for me as it might have been otherwise.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Oct 13th, '08, 11:22

by Riene » Oct 13th, '08, 11:22

Wosret wrote:TeaChat has been helpful to me, yes. I do find it difficult, sometimes, because it seems as though (and that recent poll confirmed it) that there's a heavy preference towards greens, oolongs, and pur-eh, which I'm not ready to explore yet. I love my black teas and my English teaware, so I don't think TeaChat has been as helpful for me as it might have been otherwise.

Agree with the above. Black teas are my favorite, and I like to see photos of classic china. While I've learned a lot about greens and Pu, I am no further along my personal tea journey for my own preferred tea. Again, not a criticism, just an observation.

Salsero, your daily photo was gorgeous as always, and I must admit I'll never be able to see the little cup without noticing its "face"!!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Oct 13th, '08, 11:31

by caligatia » Oct 13th, '08, 11:31

Black teas are my favorite, too. Maybe we black fans should speak up more. I just read a book on tea yesterday and was amazed at all the black teas out there that I want to try. My Upton wishlist is now huge. :)

Right now I'm sipping darjeeling #22. I'm going to miss this tea when the sample runs out...

Oct 13th, '08, 11:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 11:59

Wosret wrote:TeaChat has been helpful to me, yes. I do find it difficult, sometimes, because it seems as though (and that recent poll confirmed it) that there's a heavy preference towards greens, oolongs, and pur-eh, which I'm not ready to explore yet. I love my black teas and my English teaware, so I don't think TeaChat has been as helpful for me as it might have been otherwise.

When I got here, no one was talking much about oolongs. The forum buzz was mostly about greens. The fact that you stated it is now about greens AND oolongs AND puerh, shows how much we have grown over this past year.

You black tea lovers who want more - need to make it happen. Step out and do it. Start a black tea box pass, start posting in the black tea forum, if you want more English teaware pics, start posting your pics.

Oct 13th, '08, 12:07

by Chip » Oct 13th, '08, 12:07

Trey Winston wrote:Nothing has expanded my tea-horizons like TeaChat has. The collective knowledge and experience on this forum is astonishing.

Edit: I just noticed that today is my one-year anniversary as a member of TeaChat, so the topic of the poll is very appropriate for me. Must celebrate with Xine's Birthday Blend.
Happy anniversary, Trey, the one White Tea Knight of TeaChat.

The Dark Siders, interesting observations. I think most of us drink black tea, but interestingly talk much less about it. As long as you know you are equally welcome to the forum!!!

I was helped a lot when I first joined the forum, but differently than most newbies to the forum. I had already been drinking tea for 6-7 years. But guys like Marshaln helped to clear my head of some tea noise I had been fed by vendors over the years. Also sharing what I had learned really helped my TeaJourney. I really enjoy sharing about tea!!!

A very nice session with Kabuse from Uji ... from the Expo started the day. :D Adagio Alishan is currently in my cup. A box pass oolong is next. Hopefully a green to finish the TeaDay, that is the plan.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 13th, '08, 12:07

by Shelob » Oct 13th, '08, 12:07

I agree with Victoria, talk it up and don't let those Green Collective Bullies and the Oolongonians Ogres take charge! :)

Oct 13th, '08, 12:11

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 12:11

Shelob wrote: I plan to ask more questions, whether they are really basic, stupid or whatever. I guess I am admitting that I am somewhat self-conscious of my lack of knowledge and also intimidated by the wealth of knowledge that prevails on this forum..., but all I know is that I LOVE TEA! And I am here to stay and to learn.
There is no reason to feel intimidated or self-conscious. Asking questions is how you learn, we all started as newbies. I don't think there is anyone here who would not offer to help on a question. All of us know from where we came, and we remember those who helped us along, and we want to "pay it forward".

Oct 13th, '08, 12:24
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 13th, '08, 12:24

Still a relatively new member.
Teachat is great. It is both very helpful and very inspiring.
I personally feel somewhat cynical about teabag industry (not against teabag users, just about the whole industry line). I believe our era is to reverse the fast food cultural trend and bring on the trend of drinking real tea. Meeting many passionate tea lovers here definitely strengthened my belief :D

Lu An Gua Pian (melon seeds) this morning.

Oct 13th, '08, 12:29

by geeber1 » Oct 13th, '08, 12:29

I have learned a lot from TeaChat also. It's also nice to know that there are more dark siders out there! I haven't expanded my horizons much beyond blacks and oolongs because there's no place to buy anything locally and my budget doesn't allow me to experiment much with teas I might end up disliking.

I think that lots of us are new here and don't know how to get a box pass started, although it would be fun to have one for black teas. Does anyone want to post a tutorial somewhere on the board? :?:

This morning at home I had Adagio's Irish Breakfast. Now, at work, iced Raspberry Lime Rickey (an Adagio blend by Soapy). I didn't care much for this one hot, but it's pretty good iced!

Oct 13th, '08, 12:31

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 12:31

Today being COLUMBUS DAY here in the USA, the County offices observe the holiday but unfortunately the City offices DO NOT. Guess where I work?

In my cup this morning Glenburn Estate Wiry - Vintage.
A lovely estate darjeeling.

Have a nice day everyone!

Oh and:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TREY - THE KING OF WHITES!!

Oct 13th, '08, 12:35

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 12:35

geeber1 wrote:I think that lots of us are new here and don't know how to get a box pass started, although it would be fun to have one for black teas. Does anyone want to post a tutorial somewhere on the board? :?:
If you go to the first post on the general Box Pass begun by Eastree or my first on the Oolong Box Pass, you will see guidelines. Basically someone gathers a bunch of teas to "Start" and then sends to the people who sign up. Kudos to Eastree who started the first Box Pass!

Oct 13th, '08, 12:43

by Geekgirl » Oct 13th, '08, 12:43

Riene wrote:
Salsero, your daily photo was gorgeous as always, and I must admit I'll never be able to see the little cup without noticing its "face"!![/color]
Ditto. My brain fills in the caption with "OM nom nom nom!" :lol:

Oct 13th, '08, 12:52

by olivierco » Oct 13th, '08, 12:52

Back from a long day of work, having my second tea of the day: miyabi sencha.

Oct 13th, '08, 13:07

by geeber1 » Oct 13th, '08, 13:07

Victoria wrote:
geeber1 wrote:I think that lots of us are new here and don't know how to get a box pass started, although it would be fun to have one for black teas. Does anyone want to post a tutorial somewhere on the board? :?:
If you go to the first post on the general Box Pass begun by Eastree or my first on the Oolong Box Pass, you will see guidelines. Basically someone gathers a bunch of teas to "Start" and then sends to the people who sign up. Kudos to Eastree who started the first Box Pass!
Thanks, Victoria!